1989 22 Outrage with Whaler Drive: Outboard Weight Capacity

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Ironcladjamin

1989 22 Outrage with Whaler Drive: Outboard Weight Capacity

Postby Ironcladjamin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 pm

[Q1: What is the maximum allowed engine weight specification for a 1989 OUTRAGE 22 Whaler Drive?]

BACKSTORY: I found maximum weight capacity of the OUTRAGE 22 Whaler Drive as 2,655-lbs and the max power as 300-HP. I can not find the max allowable engine weight.

Hello everyone. First post here. I have recently purchased a 1989 22 Outrage with a Whaler drive and a pair of 1990 Evinrude 150s on the back. While everything is working fine now, I know I will have to re-power in the future.

I am looking at Yamaha and Mercury four-stroke-power-cycle engines. I am aware of the weight difference between the older two-stroke-power-cycle engines and new four-stroke-power-cycle engines.

jimh

Re: 1989 22 Outrage with Whaler Drive: Outboard Weight Capacity

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:31 am

Ironcladjamin wrote:Q1: What is the maximum allowed engine weight specification for a 1989 OUTRAGE 22 Whaler Drive?

To the best of my knowledge--which I hope represents more or less the collected knowledge here--Boston Whaler never specified a maximum allowed engine weight for boats like a 1989 OUTRAGE 22 hull in any configuration.

With the Whaler Drive model rated for 300-HP, about all you can infer regarding engine weight is that a classic two-stroke-power-cycle 150-HP engine of c.1989 might weigh a certain amount, then double that weight for twins. That weight would be a good estimate of the weight that Boston Whaler was contemplating for the boat.

Assuming a 150-HP Evinrude V6 in 25-inch shaft with power tilt and trim, one engine would weigh somewhere between 375 to 400-lbs. Doubling that would mean the maximum engine weight would be 750 to 800-lbs. You could also take some guidance from actual published weight limits given to the commercial version of the boats. See

Maximum Engine Weight
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002449.html

In a 2004 Commercial and Government Products (CGP) Catalogue, the 22-foot notched transom hull was listed at 720-lbs. Certainly a Whaler Drive version would be able to have higher weight loading.

My own method is very simple and quite logical: the maximum engine weight is reached when the engine splash well drains begin to be submerged.

There are some rather light 150-HP engine out now, so staying around 800-lbs for twins should be possible.

ASIDE: If I were going to re-power a 22-foot hull with Whaler Drive with twin 150-HP engines, I would get the new E-TEC 1.9-liter G2 140-HP engines. They weight about 390-lbs. For twins you'd get the standard rotation engine with dynamic power steering (DPS) and the counter-rotation engine without DPS. The E-TEC G2 come out of the box with with electronic shift and throttle, automatic trim, power steering, and it will never need an oil change. The E-TEC G2 engines get better fuel economy than all the four-stroke engines. I have a 22-foot Whaler Drive boat (a REVENGE), and I have thought about that re-power. But my boat has a newer engine with only 500-hours, and I really don't use the boat enough to justify re-powering it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 am

Ironcladjamin wrote:I found maximum weight capacity of the OUTRAGE 22 Whaler Drive as 2,655-lbs and the max power as 300-HP.

Did you find that data in the REFERENCE section article on the 22-foot hull?

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/22Outrage/

Ironcladjamin

Postby Ironcladjamin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 am

Jim--Thanks so much for the [collected] knowledge.

ASIDE:

jimh wrote:ASIDE: If I were going to re-power a 22-foot hull with Whaler Drive with twin 150-HP engines, I would get the new E-TEC..

I live down in Charleston and have always heard horror stories about the e-tec's especially the gen 1's have they been able to fix these problems with the gen 2's?

[ASIDE from jimh: I have a legacy E-TEC V6 225-HP engine. I don't know of any systemic problems with them. If you are interested in my experience with my E-TEC, I give a first-hand account of all maintenance in a separate article. See

E-TEC Engine: Maintenance History After Ten Seasons
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3937

I have boated in the Carolinas and noticed that SUZUKI was very popular down there, and Evinrude not so much. Many problems associated with E-TEC engines used to re-power older boats were created by poor fuel systems in the older boats which produced fuel starvation or air bubbles in the fuel supply or excessive vacuum in the fuel delivery lines. My general advice about choosing an engine brand for re-power is to first find the right dealer. My criteria for a dealer for a re-power:

• been selling the engine brand for decades
    • has factory trained and certified technicians with great familiarity with the engines
    • has actually sold hundreds of the particular engine brand for use in re-powering older boats
    • is someone you trust and can work with comfortably

Too many dealers now only sell boats, not loose engines, and don't know much about installing and rigging engines, and don't know much about older boats and their inherently older fuel systems.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:46 pm

If your boat is in the water now, observe the static water line of the boat--but observe it when you are not standing on the Whaler Drive looking over at the water line otherwise your own weight will be affecting the water line location. Then observe if the transom splash well drains on the Whaler Drive are above the static water, at the static water line, or immersed in the sea below the static water line.

The position of the transom splash well drains on the boat now with its present twin engines will give you insight into how the boat will react with new engines. If the new engines weigh more, the drains will go down in relation to the static water line.

If you happen to weigh about 200-lbs, you can go sit on the top of the engine cowlings of the present engines and see where the static water line goes. This will give you insight into how two new engines that weight 200-lbs more than the current engines will affect the static trim.

Many years ago I tried this on my Whaler Drive boat. Two people with a combined weight of about 425-lbs stood on the Whaler Drive and leaned over the single engine on my boat. This was a simulation of going to twin engines. The transom splash well drains remained above the static water line. So by that rough measurement, I figured 850-lbs of engines would not put the drains underwater.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am

You can analyze the effect of added weight on a boat by understanding the method that buoyancy is produced: for every 1-lbs of weight added, the hull must sink more deeply into the water until the hull form displaces 1-lbs of water.

We assume the density of water is about 62.4-lbs/1-cubic-foot. If we want to increase the weight aboard a boat by 200-lbs, the we must displace the equivalent amount of water:

200-lbs / 62.4-lbs/ft3 = 3.2-feet3

The beam of an OUTRAGE 22 hull is 7-feet 5-inches or 7.4-feet. The waterline length is probably about 22-feet with a Whaler Drive. This gives an approximate area of the hull:

7.4-feet × 22-feet = ~160-feet2

The hull form is prismatic, so we apply a derating factor of 0.5. This means that for 1-foot of increase in immersion, the hull will displace a volume of about :

7.42-feet × 22-feet × 0.5-feet = 80-feet3/1-foot immersion

Since we need only to get 3.2-feet3 of additional volume, this hull only needs to sink more deeply by

1-foot-immersion/80-feet3 × 3.2-feet3 = 0.04-feet-immersion

That is roughly 0.5-inches deeper. The hull will react to the weight being at the very stern of the hull form, so we could say only about half of the hull is going to sink more deeply. Now we can estimate that the stern will sink 1-inch more deeply with the 200-lbs added there.

In a similar manner, we could also analyze the maximum weight limit of 2,655-lbs. To generate a displacement of that much water, the hull would have to sink about 6-inches deeper than an empty hull (again using a 0.5-factor for converting area to volume). If you look at the transom of a notched-transom 22-foot hull with a typical outboard, you might see about 12-inches of freeboard exists. Assuming that most of that maximum weight is in the aft half of the hull, it is reasonable to speculate that at the maximum allowed boat weight the transom freeboard would be down to about 6-inches or less on the notched transom models.

ImageFig. 1. Two 22-foot hulls side by side. The hull with the Whaler Drive floats about 2-inches higher.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:16 am

The OP choose E-TEC G2 Three-cylinder 150-HP engines to re-power. See the new thread discussing the performance.