1987 27 Center Console Cuddy Re-Power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Smithy3070

1987 27 Center Console Cuddy Re-Power

Postby Smithy3070 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm

I will be re-powering [a 1987 27 CENTER CONSOLE CUDDY or 27 CCC] in 2020. I just bought the boat. A 27 CENTER CONSOLE CUDDY is rated for 300 to 600-HP. If necessary I can rig with twin engines, but if possible I prefer to re-power with a single.

Q1: Has [a c.1987 27 CENTER CONSOLE CUDDY ever been] re-powered with a single Suzuki DF 350 engine?

Q2: If a 27 CCC was re-powered with a DF350, what was the performance?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mr 88

Re: 1987 27 Center Console/Cuddy Re-Power

Postby Mr 88 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Sorry I do not have the exact hull or outboard but I hope these comments may help you with your choice in engine.

I have a 1987 27 FULL CABIN with twin 230-HP inboards. My boat [is] heavier than yours. but the hull is the same; that's from where I draw my opinion. I know an outboard is lighter and more efficient at pushing the boat compared to an inboard. I am thinking that my 460-HP total and twice the propellers for moving it might put me in the 400-HP range of a newer single outboard powering the boat.

RECOMMENDATONS

Depending on your anticipated cruising speed I would go with the most engine power I could afford.

I think the single [DF350] setup you are thinking about will be severely underpowered. The closer you can get to the maximum rated power the better [i.e. lower] fuel burn at cruise.

A single engine that small may have you close to full-throttle to keep [a 27 CENTER CONSOLE CUDDY] at 22 to 24-MPH cruising speed.

For decent cruise with average load onboard you should have anywhere from 65 to 75-percent of the maximum rated power on the transom. I do not have any scientific data to back that up. I am just throwing it out there [based on something read somewhere written by someone].

If I ever re-powered my boat I would seriously ponder going with twin 270-HP. I do not have to cruise more than eight miles to get to my fishing grounds so [unclear, perhaps fuel burn--jimh] is not a big deal to me.

jimh

Re: 1987 27 Center Console Cuddy Re-Power

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:05 pm

I cannot offer any first-hand information in regard to your two questions specific to the DF350.

Regarding the notion of minimum power rating: if the figure is taken from Boston Whaler, the minimum power rating is the minimum power that will get the hull onto plane with a light load. Generally powering a Boston Whaler at the minimum power is unusual. Also, older Boston Whaler boats tend to gain some weight. The boat weight may be greater now than when the boat was first manufactured and tested by Boston Whaler with a 300-HP engine.

Since the range of power permitted is very large, 300 to 600-HP or a spread of two-to-one, this 27 CCC hull is a bit unusual. Typically the spread of horsepower from minimum to maximum is not that wide.

Boats of 27-feet are most commonly rigged with twin outboard engines.

ASIDE: I have seen some very attractive prices on larger Boston Whaler boats, like 27-footers, but they all need a re-power. Since twin modern 250-HP engines are going to cost about $45,000 (or more) to buy and install, I think that anticipated cost is what holds down the price for these big hulls on the used market.

Now that you have a beautiful 27-foot classic Boston Whaler hull, you should re-power it with twin engines, and at least twin 250-HP. But, of course, I am spending your money, which is quite painless for me but perhaps not so for you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Regarding the notion that two engines operating at lower throttle settings will be more fuel efficient than a single engine operating at a higher throttle setting: I don't agree. There are many factors that enter into the overall fuel economy in MPG for a boat hull, and influences like hull design and propeller design are involved.

Modern engines tend to be fairly consistent in their brake specific fuel consumption across engine speed and loads in the upper RPM ranges, unless there are unusual influences like a supercharger involved. To get an idea of fuel burn, just look at some performance reports for the engine, e.g., for a DF350, and compare the GPH fuel consumption (not the MPG) at various engine RPM.

If it were always true that running a bigger engine at lower throttle was more fuel efficient, you would see this in modern automobiles, where fuel economy is a huge concern. But you don't see cars with 6.0-liter engines running at 2,000-RPM getting better fuel economy than cars with 3.0-liter engines running at 4,000-RPM, and you would NEVER see two big engines getting better fuel economy than one smaller engine running at higher engine speed.

Smithy3070

Postby Smithy3070 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks for both the replies. Really what I expected to hear and what I had figured when I chose to purchase. This will be my ultimate boat in the Chesapeake and plan to have for a long time. I have always powered on the upper end of max hp but wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

ConB

Postby ConB » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Seven Marine 577
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Another possibility in single engine re-power: the Yamaha V8 5.6-liter 425-HP XTO engine. It weighs about 1,000-lbs. I don't know what it costs, but probably $45,000.

Also, with regard to twin engine re-power, there is going to be a problem if you follow my advice about twin 250-HP engines: you probably won't be able to get the 27 CCC on plane with just one engine. Being able to get on plane with one engine of a twin engine rig is a very nice advantage. If one engine fails, you can get back on the other engine alone at reasonable speed. So I would like to amend my advice: if you rig with twins, rig with twin 300-HP engines. In particular, get twin Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines. Evinrude has repeatedly demonstrated that their E-TEC engines can get twin-engine rigged boats on plane on one engine, and that is due to their very good mid-RPM torque. They also come standard with electronic shift and throttle (called ICON II EST), and that is often an extra-cost option on other brands. I think you could get a pair of E-TEC G2 300-HP engines for $45,000.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am

You can buy new a Suzuki DF300 engine for around $18,000. You can shop around and find a pair of slightly used engines as well.

Here in Florida it is VERY common to find [two] one-year-old or two-year-old engines for sale complete with rigging for what it would cost for a new single engine. Many people with more-money-than-brains, will re-power to maximum power after they buy the boat. Just look at craigslist in Florida, and you will see--and well worth the drive, especially this time of year.

Lastly, a 27-foot Boston Whaler hull with a single is gonna be a bear to maneuver.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:22 am

On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).