19' Outrage II Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Surfanarchist

19' Outrage II Re-power

Postby Surfanarchist » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 am

I just bought a 1994 19 Outrage II (18.6-feet true length) which has the original [c.1994] Yamaha 150-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine. Cylinder pressure reads 90-PSI with little variance among cylinders. It's running great but I want to start planning to re-power. Three months ago I'd have no problem considering what to get: I'd get a E-TEC 150. Well that's not an option now.

To guys with real world experience with a 1994 era Outrage II: what are your thoughts on the best options these days for re-powering my boat?

The battery is under the console. I would [i.e., plan to] loose some weight in the stern going to a heavier four-stroke-power-cycle engine.

I'd like as much engine as my boat can comfortably handle.

The main use is on the Piankatank River and mid- to lower-Chesapeake Bay. I pull kids on tubes and take out my wife for sunset rides. I'll rarely have more than four adults on board.

Thanks for you thoughts.

[Moderator’s note: this article has been separated from a five-year-old discussion on the same topic.]

jimh

Re: 19' Outrage II Re-power

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:34 am

I don’t meet your criterion to reply, but since I am not going to recommend a particular new engine, perhaps I can still comment.

If that c.1994 Yamaha 150 is running and is reliable, then just keep running it and maintaining it. At today’s price for gasoline you will never realize any significant savings on fuel cost compared to the $12,000 you would spend for a new 150-HP outboard engine.

And nothing depreciates faster than a high-horsepower outboard engine that moves from factory shipping crate to the transom of a 26-year-old boat.

If you do decide to re-power, that your 26-year-old Yamaha outboard engine still runs well should be taken as a strong hint about the longevity and reliability of that brand.

Surfanarchist

Postby Surfanarchist » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 pm

jimh,

Thanks for the reply. Agree. I'm going to keep running and maintaining the old Yamaha as long as it lets me. But when it does come time to re-power it's a tough choice because most modern 4 stroke 150 hp outboards are considerably heavier than the older 2 stroke. I'm just wondering what others have gone with and what maximum weight motors folks have put on their 19' Outrage II era boats.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 pm

What is the max horsepower rating on that boat?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Surfanarchist

Postby Surfanarchist » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm

150 HP. The limiting factor though for me on this boat is motor weight.

biggiefl wrote:What is the max horsepower rating on that boat?