2006 130 SPORT with new Mecury 40-HP

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
NorthShoreWhaler

2006 130 SPORT with new Mecury 40-HP

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

[MODERATOR's NOTE: This topic moved to PERFORMANCE because it seeks to discuss the performance of a Boston Whaler boat.]

I have a 2006 130 Sport that I re-powered at the beginning of the 2020 season with a Mercury 40-HP FOURSTROKE manufactured in 2020. The engine is mounted [sounds like two-holes up--please use the "holes-up" method to describe engine mounting height. See the pinned article at the top of the PERFORMANCE forum to learn the basic description method for engine mounting height--moderator]

The propeller is a Mercury aluminum BLACK MAX three-bladed propeller with 10.5 x 13-pitch--it is the old propeller from my 2006 engine that is in good condition. I reused it.

With a light load [the 130 SPORT boat] jumps up on plan. [The new Mercury 40 FOURSTROKE engine accelerates to] close to 6000-RPM, and the boat speed is around 30-MPH.

Top speed is not my main interest because local wave conditions don't allow high speed runs often.

I frequently run the [130 SPORT] with a heavy load. I would like to reduce planing time [when there is a heavy load] and have a better [acceleration onto plane from a standing start when there is a heavy load].

Q1: Would a four-blade prop provide more stern lift?
Q2: Would a four-blade propeller help the boat get on plane with a load?

I'm not sure of the propeller pitch for this scenario.

I've also thought about a hydrofoil type device but I'd rather try to maximize propeller first.

jimh

Re: 2006 130 SPORT with new Mecury 40-HP

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Generally a three-blade propeller will be faster and more efficient than a four-blade propeller. At the 40-HP level there is no reason why you need more blade area. Also, aluminum propellers are generally suitable at the 40-HP level.

However, after spending $400 to $600 on a four-blade propeller, many people report fantastic improvements.

I have been running a four-blade stainless steel propeller on a 225-HP engine on a 4,000-lbs boat, and I really find nothing particularly advantageous about it compared to the three-blade propeller I was using for a decade. I bought the four-blade propeller for a very very low prices, so I don't have the usual motivation of having spent $600 on a new propeller and feeling like I have to find something great about it.

A stainless steel propeller on a 40-HP might give you an improvement in performance because of the thinner blades. But if you want faster time to plane with a heavy load, the real solution will be more horsepower.

biggiefl

Re: 2006 130 SPORT with new Mecury 40-HP

Postby biggiefl » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Keep what you have if happy. Dialing in that 130 will get you a few MPH--if lucky--and cost you a stainless steel propeller. I would save my money for a 60-HP engine to make it fun.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).