Preparing Boat For Storage

A conversation among Whalers
otter

Preparing Boat For Storage

Postby otter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:19 am

Recently I purchased a 1998 Outrage II with a Yamaha 130-HP engine. I want to fog engine while running the engine dry but I am not sure how to cut fuel flow.

The boat has a 56-gallon built-in fuel tank. The fuel line coming to engine has no uninterrupted attachments. The only point of attachment is at the primer ball which sits in the splash well directly in front of engine. All lines going to engine are wrapped in a single black nylon sheath coming out of the aft well where the fuel-water separating filter is located.

Can I detach the fuel hose at the primer?

There are nylon cable ties to secure hose attachments on each side of the primer.

I'm concerned the fuel would start seeping from the line once the primer is detached from line.

The worse scenario is to leave fuel in the engine that has stabilizer in it.

Give me ideas.

Phil T

Re: b0at winterizing

Postby Phil T » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Don't need to run the carbs dry.

Presume that all the fuel in the tank, line and engine has been treated with a fuel stabilizer.

Spray fogging oil in the air intake. Turn off engine. Remove plugs, squirt fogging oil, reinstall.

Done.

Have an owners/shop manual for the engine?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Preparing Boat For Storage

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:28 am

Fuel remaining in the engine during storage should be fuel that has been treated with a fuel stabilizer.

Fuel in carburetors will usually drain out when the engine is tilted up. Fuel will also evaporate from carburetors due to the fuel being vented to the atmosphere.

Use of nylon cable ties to hold rubber fuel hose onto a hose barb is a poor practice.

Use of quick-connect or disconnect fittings on a fuel line from a below-deck permanent fuel tank is not a normal practice, unless the engine or engines have quick-connect fuel connectors. Many outboard engines, particularly engines of about 90-HP or higher, do not have quick-connect fuel hose attachment fittings. The fuel supply hose is attached without a quick-disconnect connector.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:52 am

otter wrote:I want to fog engine while running the engine dry but I am not sure how to cut fuel flow....Give me ideas.

My 1993 Johnson 225hp had the fuel line run directly to the fuel pump, no quick disconnect. I took vacuum hose pliers (vise grips with tape will work) and I clamped shut the fuel line and timed how long it took to run dry.Then, about 30-seconds before the engine would stall, I would start fogging. Annoying thing was it would set off the fuel restriction alarm so you had this blaring noise the whole time.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:56 am

biggiefl wrote:I took vacuum hose pliers (vise grips with tape will work) and I clamped shut the fuel line....

A crafty method and very good answer.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 am

Although the OP did not request complete instructions on preparing his outboard engine for storage, a detailed procedure for preparing an Evinrude or Johnson (OMC) outboard engine for storage is given in the REFERENCE section. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... zeOMC.html

This 15-year-old REFERENCE section article may be useful as a general guide to the process of preparing an outboard engine for long-term storage or "winterization."

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:29 am

Winterization...what is that?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 am

biggiefl wrote:Winterization...what is that?
It's a rest period for our boats from October to May. I just put my boat away this week. I won't see it again until May.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm

That was a joke being I reside in the sunshine state.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pm

biggiefl wrote:That was a joke being I reside in the sunshine state.

Yes, I knew that. But fall-winter-early spring is also a rest period for me. Those seven two-hour boat rides I got in this season have me worn out. (That is a joke, too.)

I was somewhat reluctant to put the boat to rest, as on that particular day it was sunny, light winds, and 65-degrees. But the prior week had been cold, rainy, and windy, and a few days earlier there was an overnight frost, some snow fell in the region, and high temperature was 48-degrees.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:57 pm

In NJ I always pushed it until November and unwrapped it in March. I was also much younger then.