Propeller Calculator Restored

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
jimh

Propeller Calculator Restored

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm

I am very pleased to announce that I have restored the PROPELLER CALCULATOR at the continuouswave.com website. I have created two versions: one for speed units in statute-miles-per hour or MPH and another for speed units in nautical-miles-per-hour or KNOTS

Propeller Calculator for MPH

Propeller Calculator for KNOTS

As before, I explain in detail all the mathematics employed in the calculations and all the unit conversions that take place. I really do not like any sort of "calculator" on line that does not explain exactly how it works and how it calculates.

Also, I think the user interface for this calculator is very good--better than others I have seen. It is very simple to use and does not nag you about mistakes.

If you see any anomalies in the results calculator, please contact me via email with your observations.

As for why have to separate calculators for different speed units: I have been trying to incorporate that variable into one calculator, but I haven't been able to make the calculator work as easily as I wanted. I am taking a break from writing code and have solved the problem with a brute force method: two separate calculators. In most cases, boaters never mix their speed units anyway, so they can choose the speed dimension that suits them.

jimh

Re: Propeller Calculator Restored

Postby jimh » Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am

The two propeller calculators (for boat speed in MPH or NMPH) have been updated. Calculated values of RPM are now rounded to the nearest 5-RPM.