Outrage 18, E-TEC 150 Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
chesbay

Outrage 18, E-TEC 150 Re-power

Postby chesbay » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 pm

Summary: 1986 OUTRAGE 18 with stern seat and single battery in splash well; a 2008 E-TEC 150 model E150DSLSCR mounted all the way up; low-grade stainless steel propeller from a donor boat, believed to be 13-7/8 diameter by 19 pitch; 1.86:1 ratio; 20-inch shaft length converted to XL using a Bay Manufacturing kit.

Performance: tops out at 5,300 RPM with 30-gallons of fuel and three people that weight 400-lbs total; the [acceleration at full throttle from a standing start] is [very good]. The boat will sustain plane at low-speed at 2,800-RPM

Use: waterskiing, wakeboarding, pulling tubes, cruising with the [family], some fishing and trot lining. I typically have five to seven people aboard and in the short steep chop of the Chesapeake; the ability to sustain a low planing speed is critical, way more important than top speed.

Boat perfromance is good with this propeller but WOT RPM, while acceptable, is a bit below the optimum of 5500 to 5600 RPM.

Please recommend a propeller and pitch for my intended usage.

Between the OMC offerings, I'm thinking a Rebel over a Viper, but a bit put off at the price of admission. If I go Rebel, what pitch? 18? 17? Any recommended lower cost alternatives, e.g. Michigan Wheel Ballistic or Apollo series? What about four-blade propellers? I've read that they tend to have stronger [acceleration at full throttle from a standing start], better efficiency, and better performance, while giving up a few MPH at the top end.

Longer version:
Out with the 86 Black Max 150, in with a new to me 2008 ETEC 150 with a wrinkle, I purchased a used boat motor & trailer, and converted the Long shaft to XL using a Bay Manufacturing kit

Re-rigged myself, incl. Seastar upgrade, new Martec wheel, Evinrude system check gauges, from doner boat, and new binacle control. Had my local dealer prime, start and look over my install just in time to winterize. Threw on only SS prop from the donor boat an Evinrude 19" pitch low grade SS prop that was painted black. I believe it to be 13 7/8 dia by 19 pitch. Some pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B48_7qUiOuTBSXBlZU9QSUhXaE0

Thanks!

Doug

Phil T

Re: Outrage 18, E-TEC 150 Re-power

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:32 am

Doug,

Congrats, the boat looks great.

There is an active thread on your exact query. Good recommendations.

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=833

I would agree with Maverick but go up to a 19" since you don't have a T-Top.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

chesbay

Postby chesbay » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks Phil,

I did read that and many other of the many threads, both recent and old. Thought it would be considerate to start a new thread with some specific questions:

1. Should I stick with BRP?
a.If so, Viper or Rebel, seems most like the Viper on the classic 18, but might the Rebel be better for water skiing, mid range efficiency and rough water/low speed planing?
2. Should I consider Merc props?
a. Any recommendations?
b. Any comments or advice on avoiding prop shaft galling/breakage?
3. Any more affordable but still good options?

Thanks,
Doug

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:30 am

In selecting a propeller for an Evinrude E-TEC engine, I do not think it is particularly necessary to only choose from Evinrude branded propellers, unless you are getting an incentive or discount or pre-paid purchase as part of a rigging allowance. Evinrude has a nice line of propellers, and their TBX mounting hub is a very good design. I like it better than most of the other manufacturers' hubs because the area of engagement between the plastic coupler and the drive shaft splines is longer.

For your particular use of your OUTRAGE 18 boat involving water sports the propeller selection should probably be made for best acceleration onto hydroplane with a heavy load and when pulling skiers, rather than going for highest possible speed or absolute best fuel economy.

A good place to start is a three-blade large-blade-area propeller like the REBEL or the Mercury MIRAGEplus. I would guess at a pitch of around 17 to 19.

WIth an E-TEC (or really any outboard engine) the propeller selection should permit the engine to accelerate to the upper range of the recommended full-throttle engine speed range as specified by the manufacturer. Check your owner's manual for that information. I have some reference material but it may not cover the most recent production-year engines. See

E-TEC Recommended Engine Speed Range
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... neRPM.html

Select a propeller that lets the engine reach the "Optimum Speed Range" at full throttle. This will make the engine happier and make it run better, cleaner, and longer.

The only way to know if you have found the optimum propeller is through comparative and somewhat controlled testing of several propellers. In this regard, you must find a cooperating propeller seller who will let you test and return propellers. Evinrude has a program for helping their dealers have test propellers in stock for testing. My local Evinrude dealer has dozens of test propellers he loans to customers for trials. Unless you can find a propeller seller who has such a testing program and allows you to return a propeller, you cannot really afford to buy enough propellers to find the perfect one.