Brunswick, Georgia, Jekyll and Cumberland Islands

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
Dutchman

Brunswick, Georgia, Jekyll and Cumberland Islands

Postby Dutchman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 pm

I will be visiting Jekyll and Cumberland Islands and staying in and around Brunswick, Georgia in early April 2016. I was wondering if there are any active members in that part of the country that can let me know what my wife and I can't miss in that area, and we might meet up with. I'm leaving my Whaler home.

We'll also take a day to visit Savannah, and being in that beautiful area of the country wouldn't mind seeing some from the water.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Mambo Minnow

Re: Brunswick, Georgia, Jekyll and Cumberland Islands

Postby Mambo Minnow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Cumberland Island has the wild horses and sea turtles, very remote and large canopy forest. Brunswick is mostly industrial, but Jekyll has nice beaches.
When you get to Cumberland, I'd go the extra distance across the St. Marys river to Fernandina Beach. Beautiful seaside town with nice downtown area and restaurants. Fort Clinch is a civil war era fort with historical re-enactors right next door.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:30 am

We spent a week in Fernandina Beach last Spring. It is a great location. We toured the restored fort and found it fascinating.

Fernandina Beach marina was damaged by a hurricane last Fall. I would call ahead if you plan to go by boat, as accommodations at the marina may be limited.

pyejam

Postby pyejam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Another vote for Fernandina Beach. I live in the area and can recommend it as a place to stay and enjoy. Savannah still only 2 hours by car.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 pm

thank you guys we'll take some time and go to Florida too as we Michiganders (winter birds) do.
We're not beach people except for walking them, we are more interested in nature, history, & culture.
Thanks for the tips.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot