Fuel Along Tennessee River in Tennessee and Alabama

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
cinegamma

Fuel Along Tennessee River in Tennessee and Alabama

Postby cinegamma » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Does anyone know of a good source for information about fueling locations along the Tennessee River in Alabama and Tennessee?

Thanks
Jon

Jefecinco

Re: Fuel Along Tennessee River in Tennessee and Alabama

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 am

I did a google search for "marine stations in ......." where you choose the state. If you are familiar with the names of towns along your route you should see some choices. I know there are several choices in places like Chattanooga, TN and Tuscaloosa and Mobile, AL but am unable to help beyond that. I don't suppose there is a Waterways Guide for the rivers you'll be using?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Look for a cruising guide for that area. Often a cruising guide is published by a particular person or company, and you have to purchase it.

Also, look at the ACTIVE CAPTAIN website. ACTIVE CAPTAIN collects, organizes, and published (ditigally) information about port facilities using a group sourcing method.

You can find the ACTIVE CAPTAIN website at their domain ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM

ACTIVE CAPTAIN maintains a list of fuel docks organized by state.

What fuel are you interested it? Gasoline? Ethanol-gasoline blend? Diesel? E85?

Joe 15 SS LTD

Postby Joe 15 SS LTD » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I went on Google maps and could see some marinas, but was kind of slow as you had to be zoomed in close enough to see them as you followed the river

cinegamma

Postby cinegamma » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 pm

It's regular gasoline I'll need. I'm in the planning stages of a trip on the Tennessee River from Decatur Alabama to Chattanooga Tennessee and then back to Decatur. I will certainly take a look at Active Captain. The Corps of Engineers have some excellent charts in PDF form for my route.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... harts.aspx

On these charts, it appears that some marinas are marked. However no details are provided about the services offered, but it's a start.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:48 pm

Call the marina on the telephone. Ask them about fuel, price, hours, dockage. I wouldn't take any listing you find as gospel.

Hoosier

Postby Hoosier » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 am

Check your route on Marinas.com, they have a worldwide database of marinas and facilities info.
1978 Outrage V20 with 2004 Suzuki DF-115. 1992 23 Walkaround with two 2010 Yamaha F-150s.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 am

MARINAS.COM seems to have rather comprehensive list of marinas in Michigan. That may be a good indication of the depth of their coverage.

djahncke

Postby djahncke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Skipper Bob's publications are useful cruising guides for those areas.

http://www.skipperbob.net/publications

Parthery

Postby Parthery » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am

I can't help you below the lock at Nickajack but I'm guessing you have enough fuel to make the 80 mile or so run from Decatur to that point.

Above the lock you have Hales Bar Marina (just under the I-24 and US 64 bridges on the right heading upriver). http://www.halesbarmarina.com

In Chattanooga you have Erwin Marine and Browns Ferry Marina - both with fuel.

http://www.erwinmarinesales.com
http://www.brownsferrymarina.com

It's 38 miles from the I-24 bridge to Downtown Chattanooga. River winds through the "Grand Canyon of the South" - Signal Mountain on one side and Lookout Mountain on the other. Beautiful country. We've run it in October when the leaves are changing and it's worth the trip.

cinegamma

Postby cinegamma » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Parthery, thanks for the details regarding upriver from Nickajack. We are very excited to see that area from the water. We have driven along I-24 many times and it is beautiful. I'm also looking forward to getting a better idea of fuel consumption on my 1984 Montauk powered by a 90hp Evinrude E-TEC.