Solar-powered Battery Charger and Maintainer

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Sebastian

Solar-powered Battery Charger and Maintainer

Postby Sebastian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi all, I have a 17-foot Boston Whaler boat with two batteries in the console. I will soon be moving my boat from my garage to an outside storage facility. I want to use solar power to charge and maintain my batteries at the site.

Does anyone use solar to charge two batteries at the same time?

How would you set this up?

What size panel?

Can you split the power from one panel to two batteries?

What type of controller?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Hoosier

Re: Solar powered battery charger and maintainer

Postby Hoosier » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:00 am

1978 Outrage V20 with 2004 Suzuki DF-115. 1992 23 Walkaround with two 2010 Yamaha F-150s.

conch

Postby conch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:48 am

You can split the output of one panel between two batteries. Use two controllers or a dual controller. I see them on Amazon for $35 with free shipping.--Chuck

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:47 am

If you have a two-battery maintainer-charger you should be able to use a single solar panel with one output to maintain the charge on both batteries. Depending upon the panel selected you may also need a controller to regulate the panel output.

http://www.panbo.com often has discussions and news about solar power on boats. Panbo's emphasis seems to be on larger sailing yachts but much of the information is useful to small boat owners. Use the search engine.
Butch

jimh

Re: Solar-powered Battery Charger and Maintainer

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 am

On a 17-foot boat I doubt you can get a photo-voltaic panel with enough power output to really charge two batteries with much more than just a float charge or trickle current. What is the rated voltage and current output of the photo-voltaic panel you are going to use?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 am

ASIDE: DAVID--thanks for that great link. You point the Sebastian right to applicable information. That vendor site was using MORNINGSTAR products. My impression is they're some of the best photo-voltaic charge regulators available. They make good stuff.

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Jim--I am still in the process of researching panels, I don't have any yet. I welcome this group's suggestions.

Jenniferramsey

Postby Jenniferramsey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am

Sebastian wrote:Hi all, I have a 17-foot Boston Whaler boat with two batteries in the console. I will soon be moving my boat from my garage to an outside storage facility. I want to use solar power to charge and maintain my batteries at the site.

Does anyone use solar to charge two batteries at the same time?

How would you set this up?

What size panel?

Can you split the power from one panel to two batteries?

What type of controller?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Yes the batter weighed 4.4 pounds last time I weighed it, the solar panel weighs 3.2 pounds so looking at about 9 pounds for the Battery, 60w Solar Panel and 150w Inverter, then the bag, AC charger, Tent Stakes, 15ft Solar Panel - to - Battery Cord, and Panel to Cigarette Lighter Socket is where the extra 4 pounds come from.

As a portable solar power company we are also waiting on the prices to come down and for technology to improve efficiency but right now we just work with the best of whats available to us now. Solar power is expensive still but in some situations its the only logical choice.

You could always just buy 4 batteries which would be 17 pounds or so and give you almost 90 amp hours of run time, but you will never be able to recharge them if you are away from grid power or in a power outage or in a disaster/survival situation.

7tcu

Postby 7tcu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Battery Tender makes a small controller I use, http://www.batterytender.com they have several chargers but I use the solar controller with a solar panel I already own.