Electrical Wiring in Wet Rigging Tunnel

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
andrey320

Electrical Wiring in Wet Rigging Tunnel

Postby andrey320 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47 am

Hello all. I've been having some electrical problems and have finally pinpointed it to the ground wire being damaged in the rigging tunnel. I have not 100% confirmed this (by pulling the cable and inspecting it) but the resistance is coming from somewhere along the cable length that is in the tunnel.

The rigging on this boat is fairly new - 4 years and 340 hours. I know there is often standing water in the bilge / tunnel area and some most likely remains when the boat is stored (despite the draining and absorbing most of the water with a towel from the bilge and console low spot). I am now thinking of having both the power and ground wires replaced because this may be an indication of future problems.

Has anyone else experienced this concern? Any recommendations on keeping the problem from recurring?
(the cables are marine grade)

Thank you!

Oldslowandugly

Re: Small Whaler Wirels in Tunnel Reliability problems?

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:46 pm

I would just replace any suspect wires. Use real tinned marine grade wire a few gauges bigger than what you need. Avoid any splices or connections in the tunnel section since that is asking for corrosion to occur. I use plastic conduit to protect my wiring and it works well. I'm not sure you could totally waterproof it but it eliminates abrasion.

jimh

Re: Electrical Wiring in Wet Rigging Tunnel

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 am

The rigging tunnel should not be continually wet and the wiring continually immersed in water.

Marine grade wire should tolerate wet conditions. I don't know that it is rated for continual immersion in water.

Is your boat in saltwater or freshwater?

Be certain that there are no spices, no connectors, and absolutely no damage to insulation on any wire run through a rigging tunnel conduit. All of those are points of entry for water and for the creation of problems as you experience.