GM WeatherPack Electrical Connections

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
peteinsf

GM WeatherPack Electrical Connections

Postby peteinsf » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi All,

I am about to undertake rewiring the 85 Challenger from scratch and I noticed that the off road community (custom buggy, etc) have embraced the GM WeatherPack connectors for all low current connections, bulkhead transitions, switches, relays etc.

My only experience with the WeatherPack type is the E-Tec/FICHT maintenance plug. I am considering using them as the basis of the re-wire for the Challenger and wanted to see if anyone had seen or used them in a boating application.

These have multiple seals (at the pin level and the housing level) and look like the best current option for open boat water “resistant” connections.

Thoughts?

Pete

jimh

Re: GM WeatherPack Electrical Connections

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am

The WeatherPack connectors look like a good choice, but I am concerned they may only be sold through boutique resellers, which may make them more expensive than very similar and more readily available connectors like the AmpSeal or Deutsch connectors which are used under the cowling of Evinrude outboard engines. AmpSeal or equivalent connectors are sold by many very large national electronic parts distributors like DigiKey, Mouser, and Newark.

peteinsf

Postby peteinsf » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Good point, it makes sense to use Deutsch if the e-tec uses them internally. It may be helpful to have extra pins and the right crimp tool around.

Any idea why the e-tec NMEA to EMM connector is not a Deutsch type?

I am assuming all the MWS cable connectors are all Deutsch too.

porthole

Postby porthole » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:23 am

If you decide to use Deutsch connectors, all the parts are readily available at Harley Davidson dealers. They stock connectors from 1 pin to 12 pins, typically three different wire size pin and sockets too.

Deutsch crimpers are very expensive, and there are at least two different styles. I have one pair of crimpers, but 99% of the time I solder the wires to the pins and sockets.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:52 am

For the Deutsch connectors I have installed, I use the solder-cup pins and socket contacts. No crimp tool is needed; just some skill at soldering.

I don't know why some connectors under the cowling of an E-TEC engine are AmpSeal and some are Deutsch.