Northstar F-210 Fuel Monitor Gauge

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
ferdinando

Northstar F-210 Fuel Monitor Gauge

Postby ferdinando » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:17 am

I have an F-210 Northstar fuel monitor on my boat and it's a great help in knowing how much fuel is in the tank. My first 210 lasted five years, and, when I thought something was wrong with it and contacted Northstar, they sent me a new unit which I saved and installed a few months ago when the first unit gave up for good.

I understand that the F-210 Northstar fuel monitor is no longer made. While looking for substitute unit I find that they are priced out of this world. I think the 210 was under 200 bucks in 2008.

Anyone have any recommendations on the newer units?

I was also told that the newer outboards have this type of system built into the engines (I have a 2010 E-TEC) and that all you need is some type of display for a readout. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

jimh

Re: Northstar F-210 Fuel Monitor Gauge

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:39 pm

All modern outboard engines provide the rate of fuel flow being consumed by the engine as NMEA-2000 data in the basic ENGINE PARAMETERS data group. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A2000.html

for more details. The only exceptions are Brunswick's MERCURY brand outboards, which use their own proprietary digital network protocol, but can be adapted to NMEA-2000.

For information specific to your E-TEC engine, see the article linked above; see the section under the subheading E-TEC ENGINE. E-TEC engines were perhaps the first engines to provide NMEA-2000, beginning in 2005, some 11-years ago.

Most modern chart plotters which are multi-function displays also provide FUEL MANAGEMENT functions. The FUEL MANAGEMENT function is never in the engine itself; it is always in a display device or, in the unusual case of Lowrance, in an accessory module, now called a FUEL DATA MANAGER.

Because the fuel flow rate and fuel data management functions are already built into all modern outboard engines and modern chart plotters, I have NO RECOMMENDATION for a replacement for a Northstar F-210 FUEL MONITOR GAUGE. Instead, I recommend you take advantage of features already in existence in your engine and probably in your chart plotter, which I assume you also have.

DeeVee

Re: Northstar F-210 Fuel Monitor Gauge

Postby DeeVee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I second Jim's recommendation. I have a Northstar fuel flow monitor. It has never worked well enough that I trusted it's data.

I now have two Garmin multifunction displays that are interconnected and connected to my Etec engine. The data is very easy to monitor and I feel the information is accurate. The NMEA 2000 system was relatively easy to wire and configure. I also have engine head temperature, cooling water pressure as well as a tachometer.

The system calculates gallons per hour and nautical miles per gallon instantly. I like that, a lot.

Doug Vazquez