NAVICO New Auto-pilot Packages

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimh

NAVICO New Auto-pilot Packages

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 am

NAVICO has announced several new auto-pilot systems under their SIMRAD brand. Interest by small boat owners will most likely be limited to the lower-end model, which is called DRIVEPILOT™ HYDRAULIC-STEER PACK and retails at an MSRP of $1,600.

The DrivePilot Hydraulic Steer Pack consists of the following components:

--NAC-1 Autopilot Computer

--PUMP-1 Hydraulic Pump

--Hydraulic Pump Fitting Kit

--RC42 rate compass

--Auto/Standby Button

--NMEA 2000 Networking Kit

Control of the DrivePilot is accomplished by using a compatible Navico multi-function display with the appropriate software installed, such as the NSS evo2 or NSO evo2 multifunction display from Simrad. This package is an upgrade from the most basic system, the Outboard Pilot Hydraulic-Steer Pack at $999, which is identical except for the use of the POINT-1 AP combined GPS receiver and heading sensor in place of the RC42 rate compass.

A second package is perhaps suited for larger boats, and is called the AP44 Virtual Rudder Feedack (VRF) Pack Medium Capacity. This auto-pilot has an MSRP of $2,500 and consists of the following components:

--AP44 autopilot controller with 4-inch color display

--RPU-80 reversible hydraulic pump

--NAC-2 autopilot computer

--Precision-9 solid-state compass

--NMEA 2000 Networking Kit

AP44 VRF Pack Medium Capacity

There also appears to be new software which is called CONTINUUM STEERING TECHNOLOGY, which is described as follows:

Every Simrad steering innovation builds upon a legacy encompassing over sixty years of autopilot development, which continues today at Simrad Yachting’s autopilot research hub in Norway. This legacy is exemplified by the Continuum algorithm: the software that drives Simrad steering technology. Continuum brings all those years of research and on-water experience to your helm, for a smart pilot you can trust to take the wheel. Simrad autopilot solutions are available for a wide range of applications, from the smallest recreational boats up to large commercial vessels.

An additional feature emphasized is the automated calibration process, which in prior implementation of the auto-pilot systems may have needed manual calibration by a skilled technician. Again, quoting Simrad:

The Simrad Continuum algorithm offers a simple commissioning process including dockside configuration and sea trial, combined with automatic tuning to ensure optimal auto-steering performance. Automatic compass calibration is available with the Simrad Precision-9 solid-state compass, further simplifying autopilot setup while ensuring the greatest possible heading accuracy.

Simrad has offered more information about the individual components. Here are some details:

NAC-2
The NAC-2 Autopilot Computer is the brains behind your autopilot system. NAC-2 contains the control algorithms developed to helm a yacht across a broad range of weather conditions and sea-states, alongside the electronics needed to operate a hydraulic or mechanical drive unit, while also interfacing with other components including heading sensors and rudder feedback units. The NAC-2 was designed for boats up to 10M (33') in length and is suitable for low-current hydraulic drives, mechanical drives, or solenoid valves with a current rating of 8 -Amperes continuous (12-Amperes peak).

Precision-9
The Precision-9 Compass supplies heading and rate-of-turn information to Simrad, B&G and Lowrance autopilot, radar and navigation systems. Based on reliable solid-state sensor technology, this compact compass offers easy installation aboard any vessel. [Features:]

--Heading, Rate Of Turn (ROT), roll, and pitch output over NMEA 2000®
--Heading and ROT calculated using sensor data from 9 axes of rotation and motion
--Accurate and reliable solid-state sensor technology
--Heading accuracy of ۬° after calibration
--Easily adjustable mounting bracket allows bulkhead or up-mast installation
--IPX7 waterproof. Best in class
--Simple installation with a single NMEA 2000® connection

Easy setup with auto tuning and calibration
Autopilot installation and commissioning doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming. The AP44 offers automatic tuning to ensure optimal auto-steering performance, with a simple on-screen commissioning process including dockside configuration and sea trial.

jimh

Re: NAVICO New Auto-pilot Packages

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:23 am

It looks as though NAVICO has kept the Lowrance-branded auto-pilot product line at only the basic OUTBOARD PILOT HYDRAULIC PACK $999 model, and only Simrad-branded products will provide these enhanced auto-pilot combinations.

StormWarning

Postby StormWarning » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:50 pm

A few months back a friend of mine installed the low-end Simrad auto-pilot on a 23-foot boat and really likes it. The new compasses they are using on these new auto-pilots are admirable.

[ON OTHER AUTO-PILOTS]

I got a new a Raymarine EVO1 autopilot at the end of last year; it is very good also. I think I paid $1300.

I was tempted to get the Lowrance, I didn't like the idea of controlling it with a HDS screen; but, had the low-end Simrad been available, I would have gone that route.

We use our auto-pilot for salmon trolling at 2 to 3.5-MPH in heavy chop, so a good auto-pilot is critical.

I have had lots of [auto-pilots] in the past.

I run two 38-foot charter boats. One has the Simrad and it is admirable. The other has an older Raymarine and it is just okay.

The Raymarine S1000 on a 19-foot boat was pretty good, but relied on the GPS so it wasn't as responsive as I would have liked.

Garmin TR1-Gold for a kicker motor is admirable but is really old-tech but still sold today. I think it originally came out in the mid 1990's and is still the same today. Guess if it's not broke don't fix it.

A Raymarine Sportpilot that went on the helm was junk and sounded horrible, but in smaller waves worked well enough.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for the second-hand observation that your friend installed a "low-end Simrad" auto-pilot. Can you give the model designation for that unit? Was it the $1,600 DrivePilot Hydraulic Steer Pack that is mentioned in the initial article? Or was it the $999 Outboard Pilot Hydraulic-Steer Pack model?

Also, please identify "the Simrad" auto-pilot used on your charter boat. It will be helpful to know its model designator, too.