210 Montauk: Installation of Electronics on Helm Dashboard

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
porthole

210 Montauk: Installation of Electronics on Helm Dashboard

Postby porthole » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 am

[In a thread about Boston Whaler boat performance, RIDGE' introduced this topic. I have moved all replies about boat electronics to SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL and started new threads as the new topics were created.--jimh]

Ridge Runner wrote:Gauges and electronics [to be installed on a 210 MONTAUK] will all be on the NMEA 2000 Network:

--3.5-inch black face-cgrome bezel ICON Pro LCD Tachometer (free in the current Promotion)
--2-inch fuel tank level gauge
--2-inch engine water pressure gauge
--2-inch engine temperature gauge
--Lowrance HDS-9 chart plotter and SONAR
--Lowrance Link-8 VHF Marine Band DSC radio with AIS
--Fusion entertainment device

Is there any reason to install a ICON Touch 4.3 Color Touch Screen? At $1,500 it is a bit expensive. With HDS-9 I think I will get about 90-percent of the functionality compared to the ICON Touch.

I currently have two HDS-7 Gen3 displays on the dash. If I were to upgrade to a modern outboard I would add the dedicated display. There is just too much info to display and the screen real estate gets eaten up quickly trying to do multi functions on your multi function display.

The engine data display screen on the HDS's can really fill the entire screen with all the data that is available. And on some of the page layouts, you still use all the screen regardless of have many data inputs you opt for.

Just my opinion, but when you install that HDS-9 keep in mind future additions to the dash.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Ridge Runner

Re: Installation of Electronics on 210 MONTAUK

Postby Ridge Runner » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 pm

I agree, screen real-estate gets used up very quickly.

The console on the 210 Montauk is not very large it only measures 19 W x 9 H (all in inches), and, because Boston Whaler mounted the USB and Aux ports in the console, the real usable space is 19 W x 7 H. (See below). The HDS-9 is 10.5 W x 6.65 H and the Link-8 VHF is 7.9 W x 3.79 H. (although I might change to a different VHF radio;the Link-8 has a left side mounted mic, I might go to a front mounted mic to get an inch back in width).

console1.jpg
console1.jpg (229.63 KiB) Viewed 13273 times
Last edited by Ridge Runner on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

porthole

Re: 210 Montauk Evinrude 200 H.O. G2

Postby porthole » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Once you have the HDS template to paste up it will be a lot easier. Hard to tell how big that space really is in relation to the HDS-9.

If it were mine and from what I can see, I would move the USB and AUX ports and mount the HDS as low as feasible, using the mounting flange to cover up the two holes. For me, I like the devices low, since I can see them easier through the bottom of the my glasses. I really try to avoid mounting any electronics up high, hurts my neck trying to see the screen clearly.

Here are two 7-inch displays on my boat with my typical screens. Adding the engine data screen would either take away from one of these two displays or it would have to be one of the smaller pages added to the main screen. The Engine data page text gets kind of hard to read once you start shrinking the page to fit multiple pages. At least you have the 9" screen. In the future i would consider that size to be the smallest display to use.

If you can mount the HDS leaving as much dash space available for the future, then at least you could add on the "E" gauge if you decide the integrated display is just too much stuff on too small a screen.

Another option, On my Humminbird MFD that I still use occasionally, I made a mount out of 3" ABS and stick it in the cupholder.
A temporary mount could give you an idea of what works before you start cutting fiberglass.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: 210 Montauk: Installation of Electronics on Helm Dashboard

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Don't let the present location of the USB and Aux connectors affect your layout. To keep the motif consistent, consider putting a black aluminum panel in place on the empty dashboard area. This will cover the holes from the removal of the USB and AUX connectors. Then you are free to layout everything as you want.

About the only items set in stone are those drink holders. Consider how you would operate the controls of any device mounted behind the drink holders when there are tall drinks in them. Their presence in front of the helm dashboard tends to make that lower right area not very useful for any device that you might want to reach for the controls.

Also, I would make a wooden fid and install it on the dashboard from the center area near the electrical panel to starboard to the drink holders, creating a little space on the dashboard where you can lay down stuff, like sunglasses, your cellular telephone, a little camera, and so on. Or make it from black KING StarBoard if you want to keep the motif consistent

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Great observations and recommendations.

As you know, Evinrude is an all in one safety lanyard/ignition switch so that will go in the location of the current Mercury safety lanyard. On my console picture above you can see the second panel with the additional switches for the livewells, raw water pump and ignition key. Once removed that ignition key hole will be filled with a 2" fuel gauge and cut in next to it will be a 2" oil level gauge.

As you noted about creating an area for small items, one thing I also plan to do is to install a glove box into the console equal in size and centered above the fire extinguisher. Teak Island fabricates custom, very high quality, marine glove boxes out of King Starboard that should complement the Montauk.

glovebox.JPG
glovebox.JPG (20.03 KiB) Viewed 13237 times

As you can see in this BW stock console picture the separate safety lanyard and the Mercury ignition key (above the steering wheel). The area under the Mercury safety lanyard and above the fire extinguisher is where I will install the glove box.

console.jpg
console.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 13237 times
Member since 2005

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 am

Comparing the stock photo of the helm to RIDGE's photo, I notice that RIDGE's boat has an extra electrical switch panel on the dash behind the steering wheel. Where did all that extra electrical power distribution and control come from?

The location of the VHF Marine Band radio in the stock photo is good. It is away from the compass, which might be affected by the loudspeaker magnet. The microphone is handy. The speaker in the radio is oriented upwards which should give good projection of sound to the helmsman.

The loudspeakers for the entertainment device are not in a good position. I think music reproduction in stereo would be better if the speakers were mounted on the outboard faces of the console, aimed at the boat hull's bulwarks, so the sound would reflect off the walls and return to the helmsman. With that path there would be a chance you'd hear some high frequencies from the speakers. As shown, the speakers are aimed at the helmsman's knees, and the helmsman's ears would be far off-axis of the high frequency driver in the speaker. I bet they sound rather tubby.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:49 am

I have not had a chance to do a detailed look at the power distribution on this boat yet - just a quick look around (the dealer I purchased the boat from is about 90 minutes from my house). This boat is set-up with two batteries, one under each stern seat and on the port side is the battery selector switch also under the seat with a power distribution block. I was contemplating moving the batteries into the center console but the factory wiring is very neat and tight I fear that a lot of work would be involved in rewiring the boat to accomplish that task.

An interesting note - if you order this boat with the factory trolling motor wiring you can get four batteries, two in the stern as mine is designed and two more in the center console for the trolling motors.

Also of interest the center console is completely finished inside - it does not have an open back - the interior of console is completely clean. BW provides access hatches to perform the wiring and rear access to the electronics and gauges. I believe this is why the speakers are mounted they way the are, if they were mounted on the outside console faces the backside of the speakers would be open air:

Console Inside.JPG
Console Inside.JPG (34.65 KiB) Viewed 13215 times
Member since 2005

Rinoue

Postby Rinoue » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:00 pm

I installed a Simrad NSS 9' Evo2 on my 210 Montauk, and still have a plenty of room for additional 7' MFD.

I can't upload the image due to the file size....what's the max file size?

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Rinoue - I am good with HDS-9 mounting in console. When you mounted your unit did you note the depth to the rear of the console. I think the concern will be mounting a VHF radio in the console next to the HDS-9 most VHF radios need about 6" of depth.
Member since 2005

Rinoue

Postby Rinoue » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:03 pm

I had to create a cut out (small: 2'X4') as the back of the MFD touched the inner liner of the console.
So, it safe not to install the VHF next to the HDS-9.

I installed a SH gx-2200 inside of the console, and installed a remote remote MIC next to the MFD. I this case, I can still have some real estate on the dash for a 2nd screen or upgrade to 16' MFD.

Rinoue

Postby Rinoue » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Just saw the pic of the console. My VHF is right above the first access hatch.

Rinoue

Postby Rinoue » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:11 pm

Jim
The second elec panel is fed from the same distribution. As mine doesn't have live wells, freshwater shower, etc, the second panel is not really used.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Thank you for the valuably information. I looked up your Simrad NSS 9 - installed depth is 3.31" my HDS-9 is 2.13" so I shouldn't have to cut into the liner. I am going to take out the Fusion radio and install a VHF radio in that location the same as in the stock BW picture. I might also replace the Fusion stereo with a black box unit and mount the head end in the same location as the BW picture - basically duplicating the factory lay-out, or use the Navico Sonichub®2 Marine Audio Server connected to HDS-9.
Member since 2005

Rinoue

Postby Rinoue » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Good luck with the installation!

I'm getting a Sonichub and a pair of speakers in this winter. I would say Sonichub is better in terms of the look but I need to be careful that my wife may hit the wrong button on my MFD.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:09 am

Our 190 Montauk has essentially the same console as the 210 but possibly a bit smaller. I used all the free space on the right side to install a 7" MFD and a VHF radio.

I regret the decision to mount the MFD so far to the right and so much below my standing sight lines. On the previous boat I mounted the MFD above the compass which placed it directly in line with and only slightly below my sight lines. That was vastly superior to the way I mounted the MFD on our Montauk. Perhaps because the waters in which we usually boat have very few and widespread navigational aids I rely on the GPS more than most.

Ergonomically the high and frontal mounting serves well. Cosmetically, perhaps not.
Butch

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 pm

I would have preferred the dealer use black starboard under the new Evinrude controls, so I might change that out at a later date. Notice the six Evinrude gauges compared the original Mercury gauge lay-out in the picture I posted above.

Here is the finished console:

IMG_2746c.jpg
IMG_2746c.jpg (158.71 KiB) Viewed 12628 times
Last edited by Ridge Runner on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member since 2005

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:55 am

RIDGE'--very nice work on the helm dashboard. I am still looking for the seventh gauge. I only see six.

Re the mounting escutcheon plate under the Evinrude EST controls: I believe that Evinrude offers that component in two colors, white or off-white. I presume you have the white model. The off-while might be a better match to the Boston Whaler gelcoat. A black escutcheon would look good, too, but you may have to make your own.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you - Jim, my mistake there are only six gauges. A tachometer, water pressure, water temperature, voltage, oil level and fuel level gauge. The escutcheon plate under the Evinrude EST controls was only available white at the time of rigging. At some point in the future I will probably manufacture a black one similar to the mounting plate under the ICOM VHF radio. Having a digital control binnacle it should be fairly easy to disconnect and un-mount the binnacle.
Last edited by Ridge Runner on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since 2005

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:35 pm

RIDGE--Ah, now I see the black escutcheon plate by the radio. Another one under the EST controls will look good and provide more consistency.

And, yes, the beauty of digital-based electronic shift and throttle controls is they can be easily removed by a few electrical connectors being un-mated.