Dual-battery Set-up 235 Conquest

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Eazyeasty

Dual-battery Set-up 235 Conquest

Postby Eazyeasty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 am

[This topic has been moved to SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL for further discussion--jimh]

Hi to all. What's the best dual-battery setup for 235 Conquest? For example [is the best dual battery set-up to have] two cranking batteries? Or to have one cranking battery and one house deep-cycle battery"? The boat only as networked Garmin chartplotters, radar, and deck wash pump. Any advice would be great.

jimh

Re: Dual-battery Set-up 235 Conquest

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:20 am

The single engine on a Boston Whaler 235 CONQUEST is probably a VERADO. The principal purpose of the two batteries on your boat will be to start the engine, from either battery in the event of a failure of one of them. The requirements of the VERADO for its starting battery will constrain your choices for battery selection. Both batteries must meet the VERADO requirements, which specify a massive battery capacity and insist on absorbed glass mat construction. Based on information from Mercury themselves, the battery requirements for the VERADO are:

--must be AGM
--must have 800-MCA and 135 minute Reserve Capacity 25-Ampere discharge rating for USA (SAE-rated) battery, or
--must have 975-CCA and minimum 65-Ampere-hour for international (EN-rated) rated battery

This same specification appears in the most recent editions of the VERADO owner's guide.

Only a limited number of batteries can meet those strict requirements. You'll be buying batteries in the US-$300-or-more price range. I recommend you contact Brunswick's Mercury Marine division customer service, and ask them for a list of AGM battery brands and models that satisfy the requirements for your VERADO engine. They should be able to provide you with the exact manufacturer name and exact model name of batteries that are recommended for this service.

By my observations, the ODYSSEY EXTREME SERIES battery model PC1500 34T appears to meet those requirements. Cf.: http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

I presume the present battery wiring on your Boston Whaler 235 CONQUEST provides an OFF-1-BOTH-2 battery switch. If better management of battery charging is desired, change the battery wiring to a configuration using an automatic combiner relay (ACR) or voltage sensitive relay (VSR).

If the Boston Whaler 235 CONQUEST boat does not already have a battery charger that runs from 120-VAC, then I recommend getting the BLUE SEA SYSTEMS battery charger and ACR combination model 7605 product. Please visit SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL for more information on the Blue Sea System charger and ACR model 7605:

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1545

If you want to isolate the chart plotters from the engine cranking battery, you could designate one of the two AGM engine cranking batteries as the HOUSE load battery, and change the primary power distribution switch to an isolating dual-pole battery switch. If you did that, the Blue Sea Systems model 1155e switch would be a good choice. Follow up in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL if you want more details about the electrical wiring.

If you want to maintain isolation during engine starting, employ the optional wiring for engine cranking isolation. The details of that wiring are provided in the Blue Sea Systems literature for their products.

Topics related to the electrical systems of the electronics used on small boats are best discussed in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL.

Jefecinco

Re: Dual battery setup 235 Conquest

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 am

Is the 235 Conquest equipped with a battery powered refrigerator? If so, when the refrigerator is in use it draws significant power from the battery bank. Cruisers equipped with a refrigerator often use a third battery to handle "house" loads.
Butch

Eazyeasty

Re: Dual battery setup 235 Conquest

Postby Eazyeasty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:58 am

Thanks guys. I am new to this forum.

Here in Adelaide, Australia , owning a Boston Whaler [makes getting] expert feedback hard, as there are only a few [Boston Whaler boats]. I really appreciate [your comments] and will post future queries in right forum area. I shouldn't have tried to do it from iPhone. Thanks again. Legends! it certainly looks like I have plenty to learn.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:31 am

Some further details of the battery required for use with a Verado:

Verado Engine Battery Specifications

IMPORTANT: Verado engines require a 12‑volt absorbed glass mat (AGM)
marine starting battery that meets the minimum ratings.

For best performance, Mercury Marine does not recommend using flooded (wet
cell), gel cell type lead acid batteries, or lithium ion batteries for starting Verado
engines.

Each Verado engine must be equipped with its own starting battery.

If the boat application requires additional battery loads for boat accessories or
marine electronics, install an auxiliary battery, or batteries.

NOTE: Do not use an engine starting battery that does not meet the specified
ratings. If a battery that does not meet the ratings is used, the electrical system
may perform poorly.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am

You can find information about the electrical wiring and power distribution for a Boston Whaler 235 CONQUEST from Boston Whaler's website at

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat-ownership/resources/

The specific diagram for electrical wiring of a 235 CONQUEST can be obtained here. Here is a direct link to the drawing:

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.co ... m-2006.pdf

Boston Whaler boats are supported by wonderful resources from the factory, including having much literature available on-line for download and by maintaining the absolutely best personnel in the industry to answer inquiries by telephone and email. As an owner of a Boston Whaler boat you should take advantage of the factory's outstanding support of their products.

Eazyeasty

Postby Eazyeasty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks Jim; you are admirable. The [concern] I have is that when you contact Boston Whaler via email or social media they then tell you they will get an authorised dealer in Australia to call you. That their dealers rarely do--support is terrible--and often they don't know the answer. It would be great to deal with Boston Whaler direct as the Australian support is poor as there really aren't many here. Plus dealerships have now changed and only a single dealer in Australia that is up the North and in Brisbane. Thanks again for everything!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 am

Easy,

I have always been more satisfied with the support I've enjoyed from Boston Whaler when using a telephone. I realize the time and cost problems associated with calling people here from Australia but depending on your problem it may be worth your while.

Most often I can find the information I need here on Continuouswave or through Boston Whaler's on-line pages.

Don't feel too badly about the support from your dealer. Dealer support here too can widely vary between dealers.
Butch