2013 190 MONTAUK: Sump Pump Failure

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
segasaturn

2013 190 MONTAUK: Sump Pump Failure

Postby segasaturn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

I have a 2013 190 MONTAUK with a factory-installed sump pump; the sump pump is an automatic one. The button on the console does not [illuminate], and when I manually push [the button] to turn on [the pump] nothing [occurs].

Where is the fuse on this boat located?

jimh

Re: 2013 190 MONTAUK: Sump Pump Failure

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Your problem sounds like an electrical problem. Electrical problems for small boats like a Boston Whaler 190 MONTAUK are discussed in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum. For advice on diagnosing problems with electrically-operated pumps, see an existing thread on that topic in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL. See

Diagnosis of Electric Pump Failure to Run
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1861

You are welcome to join that discussion to pursue the topic of how to diagnose the electrical problem with the boat's sump pump.

I don't have knowledge of the location of "the fuse" on a 190 MONTAUK. I would expect there would be many fuses or circuit breakers, as each branch circuit from the secondary power distribution panel that operates a particular circuit or load will have an over-current protection device.

The best way to obtain information about electrical wiring on Boston Whaler boats as they left the factory is from the Boston Whaler support website. There is a concurrent discussion in THE GAM about how to use that website to locate information. See

Using Boston Whaler's Support Website
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1863

For example, I can retrieve at no cost and with a few clicks the wiring diagram for a 2013 190 MONTAUK from

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/190-Montauk-Wiring-Diagram-2013.pdf

By reading the wiring diagram I infer that the sump pump power is provided by a 5-Ampere fuse or circuit breaker, and, based on how that component is shown enclosed in a box with the legend BREAKER BOX, I infer the location is within some sort of enclosure called the breaker box. That drawing is not the clearest diagram I have ever read. I would guess the breaker box is probably located near to the battery and the primary power ON-OFF switch. I would also guess that if the battery is located inside the helm console, that is where the breaker box will be.

Also confusing on that drawing is the omission of the actual "main breaker" being shown in the wiring.

I also located the owner's manual for the 2013 190 MONTAUK. On page 3-1 the manual advises in bold type and in a separate text box:

NOTICE
The bilge pump is wired directly to the battery.....

I suspect that this is not quite true, and there is a fuse between the pump and the battery, as shown in the wiring diagram.

Also, as the boat was built at the factory the electrical control for the sump pump is shown as a CONTURA rocker switch with illumination. Since your boat appears to have "a button" I would infer that perhaps someone has completely re-wired the sump pump circuit and replaced the original CONTURA illuminated rocker switch with some sort of push-button switch. Proceed with caution if that is the case. There is no way to know what wiring exists if the boat has been so substantially changed since it was initially built.

macfam

Postby macfam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 am

If [a 2013 190 MONTAUK] is anything like the 150 Montauk, there is a bright-yellow, rubber, in-line fuse holder running off the battery. When I bought our 150 Montauk (used) the yellow rubber fuse holder had a broken contact inside. Replacing fuse didn't cure the problem. Replacing the fuse holder was the cure.

underbone

Postby underbone » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

How's the condition of the fuse holder? Any rust or wear or just not very tight contacts?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:25 am

The OP hasn't found the fuse yet.

underbone

Postby underbone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Sorry for confusion, I was asking Macfam.

[Says he needs further study on how to use for forum. [To ask for advice on how to use the forum software, please post an article in the INTRODUCTION forum, or send a PM to me--jimh]

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Mosy likely you have a circuit breaker inside the console. Look it up as suggested. You are most likely looking at it. Larger white thing with button on top mounted somewhere inside the console. At least that is what I have on an older 170.

endus

Postby endus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm not sure if the setup is similar to the 170, I assume it is.

Fuse [or] breaker is obviously the first stop.

From there, it starts getting a little trickier. It took us some time to narrow down [the cause of] our [boat's electrical malfunction] to [be from] corrosion where the pump wiring is spliced into the boat's wiring harness.

A multimeter is critical but a tone generator was really helpful in finding the problem and wiring in the new pump properly.

macfam

Postby macfam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:19 pm

In section 4.1 of the 190 Montauk Owners Manual see MAIN DC BREAKER. There is a 5-Ampere circuit breaker for the bilge, and a 25-Ampere circuit breaker for the MAIN DC BREAKER.

My 150 Montauk has a 2-Amperes circuit breaker for the bilge pump.

When the bilge pump would not receive current, THE MAIN D.C. CIRCUIT BREAKER WAS NOT THE PROBLEM.

On the 150 Montauk, there is [silly expression deleted] In-line fuse in a bright, yellow, rubber fuse-holder just inches away from the MAIN DC CIRCUIT BREAKER.

Replacing the fuse DIDN'T cure my problem, because the yellow in-line fuse holder had a bad contact at one end, that didn't allow the fuse to make contact. This whole thing drove me nuts.

I spliced in a NEW yellow, rubber, in-line, fuse-holder, and a new fuse. BINGO--it's been flawless ever since.