RS-232 to E-TEC EMM Cable

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimh

RS-232 to E-TEC EMM Cable

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am

RS-232 to legacy E-TEC EMM diagnostic port cables are available from me for delivery to postal addresses in the USA via U.S. PRIORITY MAIL. You must have a postal address that can accept a small box. Priority Mail provides two-day delivery from Michigan to most of the USA. Payment is via PayPal; you must be able to send US funds via PayPal. The cables are priced at [$44] and this includes the cost of shipping. Please contact me via email if you would like to order a cable. Please use the SUBJECT line "RS-232 to EMM Cable" and send to [2024 Update: email address that was mentioned is no longer valid.]

Connecting to the RS-232 serial data diagnostic port of the Evinrude legacy E-TEC outboard engine and its engine management module (EMM) requires an unusual cable. About eight years ago (2009) I wrote an article disclosing all the details of the cable and how to assemble one. The linked article explains in detail how to fabricate this special cable.

Many boaters were not equipped to fabricate these cables themselves, and I received a number of inquiries asking if I had cables to sell. From time to time I have made batches of these cables and offered them for sale. I recently made a new batch of the cables and have them available for sale.

The cables I make are assembled in Michigan by me using high quality new components.

The wire is BELDEN 8451, an 22-AWG shielded pair communication cable, and is [9]-feet long. Technical data about the cable is available from the manufacturer.

The engine connector is made by Amphenol and is similar to the European Deutsch connector. I use the more expensive machined solder cup pins in preference to crimp pins.

The common DB-9F connector is made by Amphenol and is also a solder cup connector.

The DB9 backshells are plastic and assemble with nuts and bolts rather than snapping together.

The wire-to-pin connections are hand soldered, by me. I have extensive experience in soldering electrical and electronic components--five decades. Each connection is inspected visually with magnification and tested electrically for continuity and shorts. The entire cable assembly is tested at 230,000-bps in a serial data communication circuit.

These cable assemblies can be disassembled in the field if repair becomes necessary. Since there are no crimped contacts, all connections can be repaired and reused by soldering. The backshell of the DB9 can be easily removed if the cable needs to be threaded through a rigging grommet on the engine.

These cables are just cables. They do not provide a USB-to-serial adaptor that may be necessary for use with newer computers that lack actual physical serial ports.

The cables are available from me for delivery to postal addresses in the USA via U.S. PRIORITY MAIL. You must have a postal address that can accept a small box. Priority Mail provides two-day delivery from Michigan to most of the USA.

Payment is via PayPal. You must be able to send US funds to me via PayPal.

The cables are priced at [$44] and this includes the cost of shipping.

Please contact me via email if you would like to order a cable. Please use the SUBJECT line "RS-232 to EMM Cable" and send to [2024 Update: email address mentioned in no longer valid]

jimh

Re: RS-232 to E-TEC EMM Cable

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm

The cables I fabricate are just cables, and they do not include a USB-to-serial adaptor.

In the EV-Diagnostics software there are several recommendations for particular brands and models of USB-to-serial adaptor.

I cannot verify that every adaptor will work with every possible version of Windows in every possible installation configuration. Your outcome may vary.

In my own experience I have had good results with the Keyspan USB HS-19 adaptor. See

https://www.tripplite.com/keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS/

I believe Evinrude recommends a particular model made by StarTech, and sold on Amazon. See

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Serial-Adapter-Powered/dp/B004ZMYTYC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510768096&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+serial+adapter+db9+startech

Attached below is a PDF file that contains an excerpt from the Evinrude software EV-DIAGNOSTICS and its HELP page regarding what USB-to-serial adaptors are recommended.
RS-232_Serial_Adapters.pdf
(110.96 KiB) Downloaded 1293 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 am

Using the RS-232 to EMM cable is typically done with the Evinrude EV-DIAGNOSTICS software. I do not sell or in anyway distribute EV-DIAGNOSTICS software. It is a product of Evinrude and is sold by authorized dealers. Check with your local dealer for availability and pricing for EV-DIAGNOSTICS software. Many dealers sell this to their customers. I don't know any particular details of the pricing.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I have just sold out the last batch of cables I made this boating season. I will be making a new batch after the holidays.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 am

I have just made a new batch of RS-232 to E-TEC EMM cables. These cables are for the legacy or G1 engines only.

Overseas shipping of these cables or even mailing into Canada or Mexico is not possible for me.

UPDATE: now sold out of cables. Next batch planned for Fall 2019.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 am

I have made a new batch of RS-232 to E-TEC EMM cables. Due to increase in costs for postage and components, the cable price with shipping included is now $44, the first price increase in 11 years.

To order a cable, please contact me via email at

jimh@continuouswave.com

and use the SUBJECT line in your email "RS-232 to E-TEC EMM Cable"

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am

UDPATE December 17, 2020

I am currently sold-out of RS-232-DB9-to-E-TEC EMM cables. I will update this thread when more become available. I do not anticipate having cables available until 2022.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 am

It is now 2024, and for several years I have not had an opportunity to make any RS-232 to E-TEC EMM cables. One of the problems has been the increase in cost of the components that I have to buy in small lots, forcing the cost to make the cable higher and higher, then forcing my asking price higher. There are now several other sources for a cable, and some incorporate a USB-to-serial adaptor as part of the cable, selling for what would be well below my cost just for the parts to make a simple cable.

Using a USB-to-serial adaptor as an integral part of the cable is a cost-saving approach. I did not adopt this method because inherent in the sale of a USB-to-serial adaptor is the buyer's notion of getting support for the adaptor from the seller. Most of the bargain prices USB-to-serial adaptors are made in China and have no support for driver software. Because of that, I never entered that market. There are several sources for a diagnostic cable available, but I caution buyer-beware, as getting the USB driver to match a particular version of WindowOS may be a problem.