E-TEC G2 Remote Control Network and NMEA-2000 Network

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Boat_Fun_123

E-TEC G2 Remote Control Network and NMEA-2000 Network

Postby Boat_Fun_123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm

This site has been an amazing reference for research, wiring, and connectivity planning for my upcoming first new boat purchase. I am going with an Evinrude E-TEC G2 150-HP engine, ICON II EST Concealed Side Mount digital controls, and everything else in that rigging kit.

I think I read on here that the G2 varies from the G1 in that the ESM bus cable and the NMEA-2000 bus cable both are connected on separate ESM and NMEA-2000 bus cables outbound from the G2, so that there is redundant digital control paths. Is this correct?

And so I am assuming the G2 NMEA-2000 bus cable from the outboard connects to the NMEA-2000 network T connector, and the ICON Gateway connects to both the G2 ICON Bus (ESM Bus) outboard bus cable hub and also to another T-connector on the NMEA-2000 network from the ICON Gateway's NMEA2K port, to provide the redundant paths?

Can someone on here confirm this?

Thanks,
Scott

jimh

Re: E-TEC G2 Remote Control Network and NMEA-2000 Network

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 am

With the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines, there is no network device called a GATEWAY module. None of the wiring you describe for that device will be used.

The rigging wiring for networks will be very straightforward. There are two networks:

--a standard NMEA-2000 network that is used for instrumentation devices; and,

--a dedicated REMOTE CONTROL network used as the primary engine electronic shift and throttle control network

The dedicated Remote Control network is wired using proprietary connectors and cables, using a proprietary six-pole connector. The connector is quite distinct from the normal NMEA-2000 connector. It uses a push-on snap-in-place retainer collar instead of a threaded collar, and there are six poles in the connector contacts. The Remote control network has only two categories of device attached: an E-TEC G2 engine or an ICON II electronic shift and throttle (EST) control. This network is used as the primary network for controlling the engine remotely.

There are no network T-connectors or terminators in this network in single-engine single-control installations, as there are just two devices, the controls and the engine, connected with a special male-to-male gender cable marked with distinctive yellow identification marks. For situations of multiple controls or multiple engines, the network wiring uses two proprietary six-port hub components to accomplish the wiring of multiple devices to the Remote Control network. These hubs have five connectors for attachment of engine or control devices, and one port (of opposite gender) for connection to the other hub. The two hubs are connected by the special male-to-male gender yellow-marked cable.

The standard NMEA-2000 network is used in the normal manner. Many devices can be attached to the network using the conventional network wiring arrangement of network T-connectors for each device , two terminators, and a power nodes. The E-TEC G2 engine has a standard NMEA-2000 port with its own cable, and that cable is extended by a standard NMEA-2000 extension cable and connected to the NMEA-2000 network backbone via a T-connector. The ICON II EST controls also have a NMEA-2000 port and integral cable, and that cable is also connected to the NMEA-2000 network backbone in the conventional manner, using an extension cable if necessary and a T-connector.

The two networks work side-by-side. If there were a failure in the dedicated Remote Control network, the NMEA-2000 will be used for engine control until the dedicated Remote Control network is restored.

The wiring at the engine is shown in an illustration in an article I wrote in June 2014.

As shown in the diagram:

1 - Rigging hose
2 - Starboard steering hose
3 - Port steering hose
4 - Positive battery cable
5 - Negative battery cable
6 - NMEA-2000 network connection
7 - ICON II control network connection
8 - REmote flush hose
9 - Remote oil tank sensor
10 - Auxiliary Battery Charging connection
11 - Fuel hose
12 - Oil hose (remote tank)

For more details see:

E-TEC GEN 2 Rigging Center, ICON II Remote Controls
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022677.html

In the ICON II remote controls there are two tiers:

--ICON II PREMIUM EST controls, and
--ICON II EST controls

Initially there were only ICON II EST controls, but the name of those controls was changed to the ICON II PREMIUM EST controls and a less expensive option was introduced and took over the name ICON II EST controls. The controls available are thus:

FOR E-TEC G2 ENGINES:

--ICON II PREMIUM (was ICON II) top-mount single-lever single-engine
--ICON II PREMIUM (was ICON II) concealed-side-mount single-lever single-engine
--ICON II PREMIUM (was ICON II) top-mount dual-lever multiple-engine
--ICON II (should be called BASIC) top-mount single-lever single-engine
--ICON II (should be called BASIC) concealed-side-mount single-lever single-engine

Between the ICON II PREMIUM EST and the ICON II EST there are differences in features and capabilities. I try to summarize them as follows:

ICON II PREMIUM
--chrome trim and gray body
--RPM TUNE switch
--LED F-N-R indicator lamps
--conventional friction on handle movement
--fuel level sensor inputs

ICON II
--all black-gray body
--no RPM TUNE switch
--no LED indicator lamps
--progressive friction on handle movement
--no fuel level sensor inputs

It is possible to integrate some foot-pedal throttle control devices with ICON II PREMIUM controls, but I omit the details here.

To be complete, I also mention the ICON controls for legacy E-TEC engines. These are entirely different controls and cannot be used with E-TEC G2 engines:

FOR LEGACY E-TEC ENGINES:

--ICON EST top-mount single-lever single-engine
--ICON EST concealed-side-mount single-lever single-engine
--ICON EST top-mount dual-lever multiple-engine

Finally, to gain a better understand the wiring, I recommend watching the following presentation on the topic of the Evinrude E-TEC ICON II Remote Control Installation:

https://vimeo.com/93110277

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am

I am going with an Evinrude E-TEC G2 150-HP engine, ICON II EST Concealed Side Mount digital controls, and everything else in that rigging kit.
If your boat already has a NMEA-2000 network and if you already have a chart plotter with its own GNSS receiver or you have a NMEA-2000 GNSS receiver, I don't recommend buying a second GNSS receiver which might be bundled with a "rigging kit." You won't need a dedicated GNSS receiver for just the engine; any GNSS receiver on the NMEA-2000 network should work.

Boat_Fun_123

Postby Boat_Fun_123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks, Jim. You are a wealth of knowledge.

So to be clear, per your explanation, this item would not be needed in my all ICON II Premium Concealed Side Mount Network build:

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Quoting myself in my earlier reply:

With the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines, there is no network device called a GATEWAY module.

Since there is no such device available for a G2 Remote Control Network, you won't need one.

The device pictured (above) is for the legacy E-TEC engines and legacy ICON EST controls.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Here is the wiring diagram for a single E-TEC G2 engine and a concealed side mount control:

riggingDiagramSingleEngineCSMcontrol.png
riggingDiagramSingleEngineCSMcontrol.png (58.49 KiB) Viewed 9069 times
The callouts are as follows:

1 - Mode Switch                                      15- Foot Throttle Floor Mount
2 - Key Switch 16- Foot Throttle Harness
3 - Concealed Side Mount Controls 17- Terminator Kit
4 - Remote Control Harness 18- Power Node and T-Kit
5 - Mode Switch Connection 19- Connection to NMEA-2000 Digital Display
6 - Key Switch Connection 20- Connection to NMEA-2000 Network
7 - Trim Switch Connection 21- NMEA 2000 Extension Cables
8 - Remove Control to NMEA-2000 Network Connection 22- Backbone Bus Cable
9 - Accessory 12-Volt Power Out 23- Network Power Cable
10- Remote Control Network Connection 24- Fuel Tank Sender
11- Network Power In 25- Battery Cable
12- Oil Level 1 & 2 26- Connection to NMEA-2000 Acessories
13- Fuel Level 1 & 2 27- Terminator Kit
14- Connector Accessory Foot Throttle

This is from the rigging guide for the 74-degree 3.4-liter V6 engines, but I would assume the same rigging is used with the smaller displacement V6 G2 engines.

Boat_Fun_123

Postby Boat_Fun_123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

That's admirable. Thanks, Jim. It sure simplifies things.
Scott