Radio Recommendations for Inshore

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Fishdreamer

Radio Recommendations for Inshore

Postby Fishdreamer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 am

To outfit my [recently acquired 1965 Boston Whaler] Nauset 16, I'm looking for a radio. My needs are for--of course--emergency, to hail a fellow boater, and just stay in touch while on the water. Waters are lakes, inshore ocean, or very close to shore. Many thanks--Joe
Last edited by Fishdreamer on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishdreamer

1965 Nauset
2003 Suzuki 70

jimh

Re: Radio Recommendations for Inshore

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 am

This thread has been moved to SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL for discussion. SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL contains advice on VHF Marine Band DSC Class-D radios.

Read the article linked below and follow its links to more information regarding installation of a VHF Marine Band radio. There are many elements to consider other than the particular radio model to buy:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... ation.html

Here is a survey of VHF Marine Band DSC communication radios presently on the market:

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=460

On a 16-footer I would get a radio with its own internal GNSS receiver to simplify installation. I find Standard-Horizon radios to be an excellent choice due to their features, the factory support, their performance, and price.

For an antenna for a VHF Marine Band radio on a small boat, in my experience the best arrangement is the one I describe in the article in REFERENCE at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tenna.html

There is really nothing about "inshore" (which I assume means not more than 20 miles offshore at the farthest) that would change my recommendation for a VHF Marine Band radio. To not get a fixed-mount radio or to not get a DSC radio would be a mistake. By FCC regulations you must have a DSC radio that is at least Class-D. A Class-A radio would be inappropriate for a 16-footer, even if you did not mind the extravagant expense. The antenna I recommend is known to work extremely well--usually better than the often cited "8-foot" antenna. One reason why so many inquiries are made about what "8-foot" antenna is best is due to the existing "8-foot" antenna having broken due to the fiberglass housing having failed or having stuck some overhead obstruction.

Fishdreamer

Postby Fishdreamer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:47 am

JIm--thank you for your response and sage advice here. I am currently awaiting delivery on the Standard Horizon GX 1700 radio and the mast and antenna set-up you have recommended.

I can't say enough regarding the tremendous level of support and information available here on this site that you manage.

Thank you again.
Fishdreamer

1965 Nauset
2003 Suzuki 70

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am

FISH'--I am sure you will have good results with the Standard-Horizon GX1700 radio and GAM SS-2 antenna. Just take proper care with installing the PL-259 connector onto the antenna transmission line. If you shorten the transmission line supplied with the ADAP-II mount, always leave several feet more than you think necessary. If for no other reason, you may have to re-install the PL-259 connector once or twice.

The GX1700 is a good choice as it has its own internal GPS receiver. Installation will be straightforward.

Thanks for the kind words about the website. They are much appreciated.