COLE-HERSEE Switches

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimh

COLE-HERSEE Switches

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2016 1:15 pm

This notice is a few years late, but I just became aware of the sale of the COLE-HERSEE company to LITTLEFUSE. According to the website at http://www.littelfuse.com/colehersee, Littlefuse in 2010 acquired Cole-Hersee. Fortunately, it appears that Littlefuse is continuing to provide the classic pull switches made by Cole-Hersee that are popular in marine applications. You can find a nice listing of the many models still available at the website

Marine Push-Pull Switches Series - 10A Marine Grade Brass Housing Push-Pull Switches
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/switches/push-pull-switches/marine-push-pull-switches.aspx

There is also newly provided documentation about these classic switches. See

Marine Push-Pull Switches 2D Prints
[Dead link removed; I am looking for this resource and will fix the link when I find it again--jimh]

I got a smile from some of the mechanical drawings; they have dates from the 1940's. That is quite a testament to the longevity of these designs. In the articles that follow I review a few of the popular switches and their special application in boating, and in particular in control of NAVIGATION LIGHTING. I will do my best to make it simple to understand how these switches operate and what special uses for them are found on boats.

jimh

M532 Switch

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2016 1:39 pm

COLE-HERSEE M532 SWITCH
The M532 switch is a versatile but also confusing three-position switch that controls three circuits in two combination (1+2 and 1+3). It can be used in several ways to control navigation lighting. I describe two common arrangements. First the more complicated and unusual arrangement of a dual-bulb fixture that serves as both an anchor light and a masthead light lamp. This arrangement is usually seen on larger boats, but many Boston Whaler boats of 18-feet or longer had this type of lighting. They also used this switch to control the lamps. This switch is detailed in a drawing available on-line in PDF format. The switch has four terminals, marked A, B, H, and R.

M532callout.png
Fig. 1. A Cole-Hersee M532 Switch with callouts
M532callout.png (18.24 KiB) Viewed 31562 times

M532 SWITCH for NAVIGATION LIGHTING with DUAL LAMP MASTHEAD AND ANCHOR LAMP
The switch designated model M532 is often seen used to control navigation lighting when a dual-bulb lamp is used for both an anchor light and a masthead light.
The action of the switch is described in a table:

M532 SWITCH
POSITION CIRCUITS CONNECTED
OFF NONE
ON-1/2 B, R, and A
ON-1/3 B, R, and H

Here is an ASCII drawing of the wiring of the battery and loads to the M532 switch terminals that may help in understanding the connections:
BATTERY ---- B
R ------forward facing lamp in dual-lamp overhead
A ------aft-facing lamp in dual-lamp overhead
H ------sidelight lamps and sternlight lamp

When the M532 is wired this way, the switch positions will provide the following outcomes:

--OFF will extinguish all navigation lighting;

--ON-1/2 or ANCHOR will illuminate both lamps of the dual-lamp fixture, showing an all-round white, for a vessel at anchor;

--ON-1/3 or UNDERWAY will illuminate only the forward-facing lamp in the dual-lamp fixture, the sidelight lamps, and the sternlight, showing the navigation lighting for a vessel under power.

Next, I describe a simpler and perhaps more common arrangement in which the navigation lighting consist of only two lamps, a combined sidelight lamp and a white all-round lamp. This type of navigation lighting is very common in small boats. It can also be controlled with the M532 switch.

M532 SWITCH for NAVIGATION LIGHTING with COMBINED SIDELIGHT and WHITE ALL-ROUND LAMP

The switch designated model M532 is can also be used to control navigation lighting when only two lamps are used, a combined sidelight lamp and a white all-round lamp. This arrangement of lighting is very common in small boats. In this application we will ignore the A terminal (the ON-2 circuit). Here, again, is the switch action in tabular form:

M532 SWITCH
POSITION CIRCUITS CONNECTD
OFF NONE
ON-1/2 B, R, and A
ON-1/3 B, R, and H

Here is an ASCII drawing of the wiring of the battery and loads to the M532 switch terminals that may help in understanding the connections:

BATTERY ---- B
R ------white all-round lamp
A ------(no connection)
H ------combined sidelight lamp

When the M532 is wired this way, the switch positions will provide the following outcomes:

--ON-1/2 or ANCHOR; the switch will illuminate only the all-round white, for a vessel at anchor;

--ON-1/3 or UNDERWAY;the switch will illuminate the combined sidelight lamp and the white all-round lamp, showing the navigation lighting for a vessel under power.

SIMPLE SUMMARY FOR NAVIGATION LIGHTING WITH M532

The battery positive power connects to B;

If using combined sidelights and an all-round light:
--the sidelight lamp wires to H;
--the all-round lamp wires to R;

If using separate sidelights, two-bulb lamp masthead fore-aft light, and sternlight:
--the sidelight lamps and the sternlight lamp all wire to H;
--the masthead forward lamp will wire to R;
--the masthead aft lamp will wire to A.

jimh

M531 Switch

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm

M531 Switch
The M531 switch is a three position switch that can be used to separately control two circuits without combining them. The action is OFF, ON-1, ON-2. The switch can be used in various applications. In control of navigation lighting it can be used as described below:

M531 SWITCH for NAVIGATION LIGHTING with separate UNDERWAY and ANCHOR circuits
The switch designated model M531 is often seen used to control navigation lighting when a separate white all-round lamp is used, distinct from the sidelights, masthead light, and sternlight. The switch has three terminals, marked B, A, and H. The action of the switch is described in a table:

M531 SWITCH
POSITION CIRCUITS CONNECTD
OFF NONE
ON-1 B and A
ON-2 B and H

BATTERY ---- B
A ------dedicated anchor light lamp
H ------sidelight lamp, masthead light lamp, and sternlight lamp

When the M531 is wired this way, the switch positions will provide the following outcomes:

--ON-1 or ANCHOR; the switch will illuminate the dedicated all-round white, for a vessel at anchor;

--ON-2 or UNDERWAY;the switch will illuminate the sidelight lamps, the masthead lamp, and the sternlight lamp, showing the navigation lighting for a vessel under power.

Jefecinco

Re: COLE-HERSEE Switches

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Jim,

Thanks you for this article and resource. I've recently been doing some clean up and maintenance of my wife's Sport 13 which has two of these switches. From their condition I assume they are original. They have not been working. One had no wires connected and the other had the lighting wiring connected but no wire to or from the battery. The lights are inoperable but we never boat after dark.

After removing virtually all the wiring, which was a mess of cobbled together cables of various colors, as part of my clean up effort. I removed the switches in order to remove the cables and they looked to be in bad condition. I now plan to replace them with new when I do the rewire in conjunction with installing a new rub rail and a new correct all around white light.

Thanks to this thread it appears to be easy to replace the switches.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:06 am

JEFE--I am glad the information was helpful. Thanks for your kind comments.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:39 am

The switches are now in-stock at West Marine.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:19 pm

You can find many re-sellers of a Cole-Hersee M532 switch using a GOOGLE search like this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cole+he ... 2&tbm=shop

It looks like the average retail is going to be about $30 for this switch. West Marine sells it for about that price, as do several other marine part stores.

superdave_gv

Re: Cole Hersee Switches

Postby superdave_gv » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Jim--have you seen the M-476 Littelfuse Cole-Hersee switch? It is ideal for the simplified half-pull for only all-round and full pull for all navigation lamps.The odd lettering scheme appears to be easily remembered if considering an automotive tie-in. R for rear/parking, H for headlight, B for battery.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:16 am

superdave_gv wrote:Have you seen the M-476-BP Littelfuse / Cole-Hersee switch?

No. I have not seen that switch. I have never heard of this switch. I don’t see it listed on their website.

The Cole M532 is a marine switch and it can control two or three lamp circuit. See above for information on the M532 marine switch.

superdave_gv

Postby superdave_gv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 am

[The Littlefuse] website is a mess. Here’s a link to the [M476] switch for sale at Defender.com:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=614376

I found [the M476 switch] to be the perfect switch for a simple two-circuit lamp setup where the options are “all-around” ON or "all-round and [sidelights]" ON.

The [M532] switch appeared tailored to [a different lamp] situation.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 pm

The M532 switch can do the same function as the switch you propose. I don't see the M532 listed at WEST MARINE anymore. But the M532 is still available from various vendor--but not carried at DEFENDER. Some vendors are listing these old style Cole Hersee switches as "clearance" prices. They may not be around forever.

The price of your switch M476 at Defender looks good.

superdave_gv

Postby superdave_gv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 pm

[The knob on the M476 switch I bought from DEFENDER is] chrome plated brass.

I re-read the [initial article that began this topic]. I now agree the M532 switch will provide the same functionality [as the M476 switch] for two circuits.

I wanted to share [information about the M476 switch sold by DEFENDER that] I [bought] .

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 pm

DAVE--to share information is always good and always welcomed.

The M476 switch can control two separate lamp circuits. The M531 switch can also control two separate lamp circuits.

Because the M532 switch can control three separate lamp circuits, it can therefore control just two lamp circuits if desired.

To simplify their differences:

M532 has three positions and controls three circuits (1/2/3):
  1. OFF
  2. ON-1 and ON-2
  3. ON-2 and ON-3

M476 has three positions and controls two circuits (1/2):
  1. OFF
  2. ON-1
  3. ON-1 and ON-2

M531 has three positions and controls two circuits (1/2):
  1. OFF
  2. ON-1
  3. ON-2

All three switches are useful for controlling navigation lighting. There is more than one arrangement of lamps for creating navigation lighting on power-drive vessels, and each switch is best suited for a particular arrangements of lamps.

msteinkampf

Postby msteinkampf » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:19 pm

The switch that controls navigation lamps on my 1990 Montauk 17 has been getting less and less reliable over the years. In the past, cycling it for a few times got the lamps to illuminate, but yesterday the red-green sidelight lamp at the bow wouldn't come on despite cycling the switch for 100 times. I was fairly certain the contacts were corroded, but instead of replacing it (at a cost of close to $40), I decided to try to rehabilitate the switch.

As noted in previous posts, diagrams of this switch are available; however, I was not able obtain any information about the interior of the unit. What I found may be of interest to other owners of older Boston Whaler boats that use this Cole Hersee switch to control navigation lamps.

My 1990 MONTAUK 17 boat has what I think is the typical setup for navigation lamps: pulling the switch all the way will illuminate both the the red-green sidelight lamp and the white all-round lamp for use while the boat is underway; pulling out to only one stop only illuminates the white all-round lamp for use while the boat is at anchor

The mechanical arraignment of the switch has four tabs that hold it together. These tabs were easily bent back for disassembly using a chisel, a flat bladed screwdriver, and needle nose pliers. A brass plate is held against brass contacts and is pulled back and forth by the switch handle. There was no model number on the the particular switch I disassembled.

Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 1.jpeg
Fig. 2. A disassembled pull switch
Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 1.jpeg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

The internal contacts were oxidized. The contacts brightened up nicely after a light sanding with 200-grit sandpaper. The switch worked normally when tested with an ohmmeter after reassembly.

I took the precaution of annealing the brass tabs using a butane lighter before reassembly to minimize the risk of them breaking off when being bent back into place.

Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 4.jpeg
Fig. 3. The internal electrical contacts after cleaning.
Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 4.jpeg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

A closer look at my switch shows some differences from the switches described in previous posts.

Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 2.jpeg
Fig. 4. Labeling of the pull switch.
Cole Hersee switch disassembled pic 2.jpeg (63.97 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

The terminals are marked (clockwise from top right) "BOW", "BAT", "ANCR", and "LITES", with the BAT terminal oriented towards the switch pull. Note that the BOW terminal gets current at both the first and second stops, while the ANCR terminal will receive current only when the switch is at the second stop, and the LITES terminal (which is not used) gets current only at the first stop. Thus, if the unit is wired as the labeling suggests (combined sidelights lamp to BOW, white all-round lamp to ANCR), there is no way to comply with the lighting required at anchor, i.e., only the white all-round lamp illuminated. At first I thought I might have reassembled the unit incorrectly, but that was not the case. Fortunately, I had taken a photo of the switch and labeled all the wires before removing the unit. When I connected the white all-round lamp circuit to the BOW terminal and the combined sidelight lamp to the ANCR terminal, the system worked perfectly.
1990 Montauk 17’ w 1991 Mercury 90 HP outboard
1995 Aquasport Explorer 245 w twin 1995 Yamaha 150 HP outboards

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 am

When I compare the Cole-Hersee M532 switch seen in Figure 1 with the switch seen in Figures 2, 3, and 4, I notice that the Cole-Hersee switch in Figure 1 has six brass tabs that retain the contact assemble to the brass body, and the switch seen in Figures 2, 3, and 4 has only four tabs.

Another difference: the terminal legends embossed on the terminal insulator plate of the switch seen in Figures 2, 3, and 4 are also very curious. The Cole-Hersee switch does not have such labels.

These differences make me wonder if the switch seen in Figures 2, 3, and 4 is not an actual Cole-Hersee switch, but rather is a knock off or imitation.

Let's look at the actual drawing from Cole-Hersee that shows the M532 switch:

ColeHerseeM532Dwg.jpg
Fig. 5. Cole Hersee M532 Switch drawing dated 1964.
ColeHerseeM532Dwg.jpg (241.05 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

Looking at the drawing in Figure 5, note the table in the upper left. The table links the four letters on the switch to their use in navigation lamp wiring.
    A = ACCESSORY
    B = BATTERY
    R = ANCHOR LTS
    H = RUNNING LTS
There is no indication that the actual switch has these names embossed on the switch terminal insulator plate; there are only the four letters.

ASIDE: the general nature of the Cole-Hersee M-series pull switches is to NOT have a sealed or air-tight internal switch contact area. For that reason there is certainly going to be a tendency for the internal switch contacts to oxidize over time, particularly in a saltwater environment. The ability to completely disassemble the switch and clean the internal contacts is perhaps an asset to overcoming the problem of oxidation of the contacts.

msteinkampf wrote:I took the precaution of annealing the brass tabs using a butane lighter before reassembly to minimize the risk of them breaking off when being bent back into place.
That is a very good idea. I don't think I would have thought of that.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:34 am

Regarding the Cole-Hersee M-476 switch mentioned in an earlier post in this thread:

The Cole-Hersee M-476BX switch is listed in the Littlefuse website under the designator "Headlamp Push Pull Switches" which is distinct from the category "Marine Push Pull Switches" category. See

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/switches/push-pull-switches/headlamp-push-pull-switches.aspx

As of this writing, the webpage at the URL above shows the status of the M-476BX switch to be "Obsolete 2021-07-21".

For reference, here is the mechanical drawing for the M-476 switch. Note the date on the drawing: 1946.

ColeHerseeM476Dwg.png
Fig. 6. A Cole-Hersee drawing for the M-476 switch.
ColeHerseeM476Dwg.png (188.78 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

Another thread contained a mention of the knob on a Cole-Hersee switch being made of plastic instead of brass. Many of the switches listed under the category "Headlamp Push Pull Switches" have plastic knobs. I suspect that the designator "BX" which is appended to the M-476 switch in the listing may perhaps be an indicator that a brass knob is to be substituted in place of a plastic knob as seen on many other "headlamp" switch models. This may explain why someone received a plastic knob on a Cole-Hersee push pole switch they ordered.