New to Modern Electronics

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Masbama

New to Modern Electronics

Postby Masbama » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

My newest boat has a Garmin 7408 electronic device. I don't know what to even call it; it does so much. I have had only basic depth finders on my other boats; this is a game changer.

I have been reading about this NMEA network and I am not sure I know what it does.

I believe my Suzuki engine supports NMEA-2000. I would like to hook up [NMEA-2000] to the Garmin [and the engine] because that way I can monitor the engine hours (and what not) better than I can now with a basic tachometer.

Can this be done?

Is it a major ordeal?

As always, thanks.

Jefecinco

Re: New to Modern Electronics

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm

The Electronics Desk at the Airport Blvd West Marine store has been helpful to me in the past. They also have a wide selection of various devices hooked up and ready to demonstrate. Between a local Suzuki dealer and the West Marine store you may be able to learn quite a bit.

The Garmin web site is another useful resource. A search of this site may be your best source and I would try that first.
Butch

Masbama

Re: Newbie to modern electronics with a question.....

Postby Masbama » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:01 am

Butch; Great advice.

Thanks once again!

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 pm

The concept of NMEA-2000 networking is really quite simple: it is a marine communication network to which many devices can be connected and inter-communicate. I have written an article that explains NMEA-2000 in a very simple manner, and it assumes you know nothing about it. I recommend you read my carefully written and illustrated article about NMEA-2000 as a good way to become more familiar with the method.

The article contains many hyperlinks to further information. I recommend you explore those hyperlinks.

I believe that it will be more efficient for you to read my article than to visit a particular retail store and talk to some employee there. I also think it will be more efficient to read my article than to browse around a website from GARMIN.

Here is the link to the article:

NMEA-2000 Networks and Modern Outboard Engines

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A2000.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Re connecting a Suzuki engine to a NMEA-2000 network: this can be done. In the article I mentioned earlier, you will find hyperlinks to information specific to connecting a Suzuki engine to a NMEA-2000 network. The exact method depends on the particular model Suzuki engine you have.

There are many long, disjointed, and somewhat confusing discussions about using NMEA-2000 with Suzuki engines that are posted to various forums, but I strongly recommend you consult the information I have linked in my article. The information there is very concise, well organized, and provides Suzuki part numbers for the necessary interface cables you will need from Suzuki. You can read a few paragraphs of that information, or try to follow threads of hundreds of articles and sift out the same data. Do not confuse brevity and concise writing with lack of information content. Do not be confused by rambling, poorly written, disorganized threads of hundred of postings as having information content--the signal to noise ratio is very poor in those threads.

I recommend you consult with an authorized Suzuki dealer who is very familiar with NMEA-2000 networking. If thelocal dealer for Suzuki has extensive experience with NMEA-2000, that would be the first place to go. If the local dealer does not have experience with NMEA-2000, look for a better resource to help you.

You may need to buy some Suzuki cables and components to integrate any existing Suzuki instruments with a general NMEA-2000 connection.

Re your GARMIN device: it is called a multi-function display, and probably includes a GNSS receiver, a chart plotter, electronic charts, a SONAR, and a general NMEA-2000 instrumentation display. To learn more about the specific GARMIN device you have purchased, I recommend you read the operating manual. Read it cover to cover. Absorb the information it contains.

After becoming acquainted with the operating manual contents, sit down with the actual GARMIN device you have, and, using the manual as a guide, experiment and learn how to operate the device. There is no simple method to acquire information about complex devices. You just have to study their features and learn how to use them. You can leave many features to be learned later.

As you mention, these modern multi-function networked instruments are more than a tachometer, and, accordingly, will require more study on your part to gain an understanding of what the device can do and how to operate it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 am

The best way to learn how to use a modern, complex, multi-function display device is by your actual hands-on use of the device. For example, when I bought a modern multi-function display device (a Lowrance HDS-8), I soon bought a second power cable and a second mounting bracket, took the device off the boat for the winter storage period, made a wooden base for the mount, set up the device on my bench with a 12-Volt power supply, and experimented with it all winter. That is how I learned how to use it.

You really cannot learn how to use these devices while you are underway, at the helm, piloting a boat. The task of being at the helm and piloting the boat requires too much attention to allow you to learn how to use a complicated device while you steer the boat.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Great information and insights.
Thanks!