Simrad GO v Raymarine Axiom

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Tojo

Simrad GO v Raymarine Axiom

Postby Tojo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 pm

I want to install a chart plotter and fish finder multi-function display on my newly acquired 2006 170 Montauk. I am trying to choose between a Simrad GO7 or GO9 versus a Raymarine Axiom 7 or Axiom 9. Any opinions of either rig? (And no Garmin advice please)

The multi-function display will mounted on top of the console. Do you think a 9-inch display will fit?

Or do I need to drop to a 7-inch screen size?

The boat will be used in southwest Florida, Lake Michigan, and inland freshwater lakes.--Tojo

jimh

Re: Simrad GO v Raymarine Axiom

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:26 pm

I looked at the Simrad GO9XSE when it was introduced about a year ago. See

SIMRAD GO9 XSE
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1456&p=8725

I think Simrad recently updated their GO series, and I haven't had a chance to document exactly what changed. One element of the Simrad GO-series that I like is the use of the TotalScan transducer. I talked about the TotalScan transducer a while ago, when it was introduced. See

NAVICO TotalScan SONAR Tranducer
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=215&p=8967

The TotalScan seems to be a compact transducer that can do side-scan and down-scan, and handle a range of frequencies. There is not a lot of room on the transom of a 170 MONTAUK for mounting multiple transducers, so having an all-in-one may be advantageous.

I have not paid attention to the Raymarine AXIOM line. In general, Raymarine seems to make good stuff, but it always seem to be a bit harder to find in stores, a bit under-promoted. However, I think Whaler is now using Raymarine as their OEM installed gear, although they seem to use the more expensive eS-series of products, if that is any influence on a decision. Another plus for Raymarine: they run a very good forum for support. Browse around at

http://forum.raymarine.com/

and see if you like their information sharing and participation in the forum.

Before I'd buy either device, I would try to find them on display at a vendor, and poke around on them. See if you like how they work, how the user-interface seems to work with your own preferences, and how the displays look side by side.

Tojo

Postby Tojo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Jim,
Finding an Axiom in a store is damn near impossible.
Advantage Axiom: 3D sonar built in and dock-to-dock charting.
Advantage Simrad Go: 3D chart plotter

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:58 pm

One aspect of a multi-function display to keep in mind: NMEA-0183 connections. Many current and legacy marine electronic devices use NMEA-01823, but some modern displays no longer include NMEA-0183. Neither the Simrad GO-series devices or the Raymarine AXIOM series device support NMEA-0183; they are NMEA-2000 only. This is an import factor for interfacing the chart plotter to a radio. You will have to get a radio with NMEA-2000, or you will have to get a NMEA-0183<-->NMEA-2000 gateway. But the gateway devices often are not very good at supporting DSC and AIS data, and they cost about $200.

If getting a multi-function display with only NMEA-2000, you should really also get a DSC radio that supports NMEA-2000. The choices are a bit limited. See my radio round-up article for some guidance.

VHF Marine Band Radio Roundup 2016-2017
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=460

Tojo

Postby Tojo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm

I just installed a SH Gx1700 yesterday. It’s only a 170 Montauk so there really is little need to interface anything. The GX1700 has GPS built in for DSC.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:11 pm

That the radio has its own GNSS receiver is just part of the process of interfacing the radio to other boat electronics. If you don't have data from the radio plotted on your chart plotter, you won't be able to get see the position of other vessels that send that data to you via their DSC radio transmissions. You won't see the positions of vessels that send a DISTRESS ALERT message, or other vessels that send their position to you in reply to position polling requests.

Since you already have a GX1700 radio, without NMEA-2000, I wouldn't bother with the NMEA-0183<-->NMEA-2000 added converto; it's too much money and bother, and its cost is almost as much as a new radio with NMEA-2000, like a Simrad RS12 or RS20, or a RAYMARINE RAY 50.

Tojo

Postby Tojo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm

As I said earlier: it’s a 17 ft boat. Integration is not necessary on this boat. My Carolina Classic is fully integrated as it’s my “Big Water” boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 am

The length of the boat is not really a determinant in whether or not the radio and chart plotter can be connected or should be connected to exchange data. The nature of the interface on the two devices determines whether they can be (easily) interconnected. If a boater buys a chartplotter that CANNOT be connected to their radio or vice versa because there is no common electronic interface, then the two devices cannot be connected, and that has occurred because of the choice made in what radio and what chartplotter were purchased, not because the boat has a certain length.

As for should a DSC radio and electronic chart plotter be connected, I believe they should because such a connection enhances their value for safety. Safety is not a asset that is only useful when a boat length exceeds some particular value.