Engine Gauges Do Not Work

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
PeteG

Engine Gauges Do Not Work

Postby PeteG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:29 am

I have a 1989 18' Outrage with twin Johnson 70 HP engines. I bought the boat in the spring, to replace my old 1972 Sourpuss 13. I have no history on the vessel but did talk briefly with the former owner. I had found an old registration in the console.

The 1989 Outrage boat ran absolutely perfect all season. Some niggly tasks require attention.

The gauges DO NOT work. Where would you start to troubleshoot this?

Since it's twins and none of the gauges work for either motor, I'd assume it's (ha, assume) it's a fuse or a connection.

Where should I start? In what order should the connections be checked?

The batteries have been moved to the console.

The tachs are Tohatsu.

The tilt gauge face look generic.

Not sure if that's germane or if they're stock, but I thought I'd add these observations.

Since the batteries have been moved (and if the Tohatsu gauges aren't stock) then obviously someone has been in there fiddling.

jimh

Re: Engine Gauges Do Not Work

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 am

Find or draw a schematic diagram of all the wiring associated with the gauges, identifying the individual conductors and their wire insulation color. Identify the legends of all the terminals on the gauges, even if no wires are connected to the terminals.

Scan the diagram and attach it to the thread so others can offer advice specific to your installation.

Generally a problem that causes a number of electrical devices to stop working will be related the distribution of electrical power that is common among the several devices.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 am

If you bought the used boat from a dealer, contact the dealer and complain that the boat contained an undisclosed defect, and ask the dealer to provide a remedy. If the terms of the sale were "as is," then you probably won't get much consideration.

The electrical wiring on older boats is usually a mishmash of original and owner-added wiring which usually is not very well done.

Get the service manuals and installation guides for the engines. They should have clear drawings showing the proper rigging of the engine gauges.

Look under the engine cowlings for a fuse holder in a branch of the positive circuit. The typical wire insulation will be red or violet.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 am

Almost all of the classic Whaler's have spagetti for electrical wiring since they were rigged by a dealer and have had multiple owners.

I bet there is a loose connection. Tracing electrical problems is a marathon, not a sprint.

Look in the console and take some photos, wide view and detailed for each gauge. Draw a rough diagram showing color, inline fuses etc. Bet someone threw something in the console and dislodged a wire.

Check the connections at the harnesses (bundle of wires) and inline fuses.. Any splices covered in tape?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003