E-TEC Injector Matrix Codes

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimh

E-TEC Injector Matrix Codes

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm

For the Evinrude E-TEC engines, the fuel injector is a proprietary design with unusual features. Each individual injector is tested after being manufactured to establish its precise fuel delivery characteristics. The testing procedure categorizes the individual injector and its performance using a series of coefficients. The individual injector is then tagged with a 2D code (a Matrix Code) that contains the data about that injector's coefficients.

The matrix code for a typical injector looks like this:

matrixCodeETEC.jpg
E-TEC Fuel Injector Tag with Matrix Code, much enlarged from the actual size
matrixCodeETEC.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 6932 times

Many smartphone devices can be fitted with code reading applications to read the code. For the Apple iOS devices (iPhones), I found the following code readers worked properly to read the matrix code:

--iOS app ScanLife could read the code, but there was no easy way to copy the results into another application;

--iOS app i-nigma read the code easily and allowed me to copy it into a text message and send it to myself;

--the iOS app QR READER by TapMedia could read the copy; it also identifies the type of code ("Matrix Code) and permits copying the code data.

For Android devices the application QR DROID is said to work well.

The reason for interest in copying the code data is to be able to easily enter the injector coefficients into the EMM of an E-TEC engine when a new injector is installed. Whenever an E-TEC injector is replaced, the characteristics of the new replacement injector must be entered into the EMM firmware. This allows the EMM to properly control the injector to produce the precise amount of fuel needed for best performance. A specialized software EV-DIAGNOSTICS is used to perform that function. Having the injector tag code data read as text facilities entering the data into the program.

When using a smartphone scanner, one would typically copy the code data and paste it into an email message; the email is sent to your own email, where you can extract the data and paste it into the EV-Diagnostics application running on the same computer.

The image above can be used as a test image to verify that a particular scanner can read a Matrix Code tag on an E-TEC injector. The code reader should find the tag contains the following data:

08112050844829,0898,1003,1100,1199,1444,1893,2581,3267,1231,+000,000,500,200,250,0000,0000,0000,0000,200,450,04,06,08,10,15,25,40,55,1000,2000,3000,3500

dtmackey

Re: E-TEC Injector Matrix Codes

Postby dtmackey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Great information.

Jim--do you have the diagnostic software for your E-TEC?

I purchased an old laptop just for this purpose since it runs an older version of Windows and has the serial port needed for the connection cord.

D-

jimh

Re: E-TEC Injector Matrix Codes

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

'MACKEY--yes, I am familiar with the EV-Diagnostics software and have used it.