Yamaha F70 Gauges

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
OldKenT

Yamaha F70 Gauges

Postby OldKenT » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Hello all--I will soon re-power my 1985 17-foot Newport with a new Yamaha F70. I would appreciate advice on the best gauges or liquid-crystal-display (LCD) to use with the F70, and whether gauge installation is a do-it-yourself type project for a reasonably handy person.

I have read the recent posts on Hierarchy of Engine Instrumentation and most posts about the F70, and am thinking that I should have a gauge or gauges showing engine RPM, battery voltage, engine oil pressure, engine water pressure, and hours of operation. Yamaha offers a digital multifunction tachometer that gives most of that information (but not battery voltage), although some is only by warning lights.

A speedometer is not important to me, but Yamaha's digital multifunction speedometer also provides battery voltage from 10 to16 volts, although analog gauges could also be used for that.

Yamaha also has a 5-inch LCD with most of this information, and it also can be supplemented. Cost is relevant, but I expect and hope to do this just once, so I getting accurate information which is displayed in easily readable and useful form is most important.

Do others here with the F70 use these or other gauges or LCD?

What is your experience with those you use?

Should I be considering an LCD from other manufacturers?

If so, how difficult is it to install and use a non-Yamaha LCD with the F70?

Thanks for your help.
Ken
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

jimh

Re: Yamaha F70 Gauges

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm

KENT--I'd establish first if the Yamaha F70 supports NMEA-2000.

If the Yamaha F70 supports NMEA-2000, you should consider installing a NMEA-2000 network and using NMEA-2000 instrumentation.

Next, you need to figure out what Yamaha brand gauges you have or want to install, as they will determine exactly how you will interface the engine to NMEA-2000.

I don't have any first-hand experience with Yamaha engines and NMEA-2000. From what I have read, getting a standard NMEA-2000 interface from a Yamaha engine depends on the model, the model year, and what sort of Yamaha gauges are already in use.

I recommend you consult with an expert-level Yamaha dealer, perhaps SIM YAMAHA, for advice.

For some initial advice, see the link in my article on NMEA-2000 and modern outboard engines that points specifically to Yamaha instrumentation; see

NMEA-2000 Networks and Modern Outboard Engines
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A2000.html

then follow the link about Yamaha engines:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/LowranceNMEA2000/Yamaha_Engine_NMEA2000_Connection.pdf

The above link is to very concise information about NMEA-2000 networking and Yamaha. I have seen discussion go on and on for pages and never really provide nearly as much information as this short flyer does.

Also, I would not worry about the display technology being limited to liquid-crystal-display or LCD. Generally we talk about a multi-function display or MFD, and concentrate of the functionality of the display rather than the particular display hardware technology.

On a boat powered by a 70-HP engine I would infer a smaller boat, so the MFD might be the only display. The MFD would also be a chartplotter, a SONAR, and an engine data display.

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:29 am

Thank you, Jim. I will certainly read all of these references.

The Yamaha F70 Hot Sheet revised in July 2010 states that "External NMEA-2000 Displays", as well as Yamaha's analog and digital multifunction displays, are compatible with the F70. See:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/Ho ... 1-10%20(v2).pdf.

In addition to reading the reference articles to be sure I can do this and how to do it, I need to research which of the currently available displays will be best for my boat and use. I will appreciate advice, of course, from participants in this forum on their own experiences with this engine and gauges.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am

I have a Yamaha F70 on my 1988 Boston Whaler 15-footer. I selected the Yamaha Command Link Tachometer Multi-Function Gauge. I am extremely happy with it.

I also purchased the Remote Water Pressure Sensor from Yamaha. This allows you to read the engines water pressure within the Command Link Gauge.

For my application, this offers me everything I need as far as engine monitoring. One nice feature is not just the engine hours but the service interval notification, which you can re-set. At 100 hours, the display scrolls a message, "100 HOUR MAINTENANCE DUE" or words to that effect.

It was all very simple to install--I did it myself. In fact I hooked up the entire wiring system for the engine and just had the dealer adjust the throttle and shifting cables.

Good Luck

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks, El Rollo. Are you using the square or round gauge? The Yamaha rigging guide seems to show differences between them in how information is displayed.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 pm

I chose the square.

I wasn't aware there was a differences in how the information is displayed between the square and round Command Link Gauge. If I remember correctly, I was told by the dealership that they were identical except the shape. I've never had the round Command Link Gauge, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Whal

Postby Whal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Juts like ElRollo I have the square command link tachometer and a I am pleased with. It does everything I need. I get my battery voltage read out and my speed from my Garmin EchoMap Chirp 73 SV so I have no need for other gauges. Hope this helps.

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Yes, it helps a lot, Whal. Thanks. Especially about the Garmin. Did you do your own installation, and did you consider the Simrad Go7?
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

Whal

Postby Whal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 am

Ken, I did my own installation of the Garmin. I did look at the Simrad. Both are nice units, but I think the Garmin was more user friendly in my case. I got my Garmin from Gil Travis at Semperfishing Marine Electronics and he helped me with my choice. Gil is very knowledgeable and will talk with you for however long you want; his price includes shipping and everything--a great guy.