Recommend Shop to Make Wiring Harness, Instrument Panel

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
AbeToor

Recommend Shop to Make Wiring Harness, Instrument Panel

Postby AbeToor » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 am

Hello. I'm relocating a console on an 1989 Outrage with twin 2001 OMC 70-HP 2001 outboards, and I am replacing all electronics and cabling. I am looking for a reputable shop to build a wiring harness and possibly an instrument panel with new gauges.

Please give me a recommendation for a USA-based custom boat wiring company.

Thank you--Abe

jimh

Re: Recommend Shop to Make Wiring Harness, Instrument Panel

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:29 am

Abe--if you are moving the console to be farther from the engines, and the engine wiring harnesses are not long enough to reach between the new console and the engines, you should check with Evinrude or Johnson to see if they can supply a longer wiring harness. Although I expect an OEM wiring harness to be expensive, it may be cheaper and more easily obtained than having custom-made harnesses commissioned. If you are moving the console to be closer to the engines, you can just coil the excess engine wiring harness cable and stow it away.

I would also be leery of trying to specify and commission any custom wiring for the new installation to be constructed off-site and sent to you. You are bound to forget something. I think it wiser to find a local installer and work with him. He might have some ideas that could be useful that you haven't thought about.

If you need a new instrument panel fabricated to match the original on your Boston Whaler boat, see the recommended vendors at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... helmPanels

I cannot offer a recommendation for "a shop" to make custom wiring harness assemblies for you, as i have never used any such service provider. But you can find many such service providers if you search for them using an internet search engine. i don't want to steer you toward any particular one of the ones I found in a search as I have no experience with any of them.

AbeToor

Postby AbeToor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:46 am

Thank you for your input Jim, I'm looking into production OMC modular wiring systems, seems a majority of what I'm after is still on the market.
Abe

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

If your engines use the Evinrude MWS harnesses, you can still get them. To search I recommend browsing at the great website

SHOP2.EVINRUDE.COM

I found that the MWS wiring harnesses are not as expensive as I thought:

0176339 INSTRUMENT HARNESS, 12 ft. (3,7m) 1 $137.99 USD
    0176340 INSTRUMENT HARNESS, 15 ft. (4,6m) 1 $143.99 USD
    0176341 INSTRUMENT HARNESS, 20 ft. (6,1m) 1 $152.99 USD
    0176342 INSTRUMENT HARNESS, 28 ft. (8,3m) 1 $160.99 USD