Whaler 13 electrical upgrade

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
PatSea

Whaler 13 electrical upgrade

Postby PatSea » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 am

I have a 1972 13 Sport which I am planning to upgrade the electrical distribution. My initial thoughts were to mount a Blue Seas ST 6 circuit fuse block # 5015. https://www.bluesea.com/products/5015/S ... _and_Cover. I have a fishfinder, nav lights, bilge pump and USB outlet.
I would like to mount this on the starboard transom near the navigation light. I would run the feed from the battery through a circuit breaker located adjacent to the battery back to this fuse block. My concern is that this fuse block is not weatherproof and I don't find that Blue Seas has a similar weatherproof device. There is no enclosed space to mount this fuse block. Under the helm offers some protection but this is so small that the fuse block would not be readily accessible. How have others upgraded the wiring? Any suggestions?

Tom Hemphill

Re: Whaler 13 electrical upgrade

Postby Tom Hemphill » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:43 am

I did similar with my 1966 13-foot Sport, mounting the fuse panel under the console. It's absurdly over-engineered, but oh, well.

electrical_panel.jpg
electrical_panel.jpg (220.54 KiB) Viewed 7470 times

PatSea

Re: Whaler 13 electrical upgrade

Postby PatSea » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Very nicely done Tom! I'm sure my plans are over engineered also, but hey, it's our Whaler right? Does your fuse block stay dry from spray or rain? Our boat is parked inside when not in use, so maybe the protection from rain and spray is not a major concern.