OEM Wiring Diagram Boston Whaler 1997 Boat

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
AndrewM

OEM Wiring Diagram Boston Whaler 1997 Boat

Postby AndrewM » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:57 pm

I am about to rewire the instrument panel on my [1997 Boston Whaler] RAGE 15 boat. I cannot find a wiring schematic for this particular boat. I've looked here and on other whaler sites, as well as on the internet in general.

The existing wiring looks like a pretty simple set-up under the dash, so I can probably figure everything out, but I would much rather have a wiring diagram.

[Where or what is] a source [for a wiring diagram for a 1997 Boston Whaler RAGE 15]?'

Thanks
Andrew

jimh

Re: OEM Wiring Diagram Boston Whaler 1997 Boat

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm

The only source of a wiring diagram for a c.1997 Boston Whaler boat of a particular length and model would be Boston Whaler. If you contact Boston Whaler customer service they may have something for you. That said, and as you mention, the instrument panel wiring on a small boat like a 15-footer is generally not particularly complicated, and it would not surprise me to learn there was no particular schematic diagram ever provided to customers.

A further problem with a boat made in 1997 is that it has been out from the factory and in service for 21-years, and there is no guarantee or even much of a chance that the wiring remains exactly as it was when the boat left the factory. Boats have a way of getting modified, and in the case of wiring the results are often not very pretty nor especially well done. Of course, that's not to say that when you get done re-wiring the installation won't be better than new. :-)

For general advice on electrical installations on a small boat, see my article in the REFERENCE section:

Boat Electrical Circuits and Wiring Practices
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/boatWiring.html

This will give you a good foundation for installation of electrical systems on your small boat.

For information about the ignition wiring of OMC motors in particular, see my article in the REFERENCE section:

Ignition Switch Wiring
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

OMC harness usually use these colors and terminal designators:

I or IGNITION = Violet; switched 12-volts from ignition key
G or GROUND = Black; battery negative
S or SENSOR = Gray; from engine charging circuit

If a gauge has a lighting circuit, it will be marked

L or LAMP = Blue; gauge illumination circuit

Here is a list of the various color codes for wiring:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/wireColorCode.html

Before you disassemble any wiring, make an accurate sketch or diagram of the existing wiring and with notes about wire insulation color. Also take some close-up pictures to show details at switches and junctions for future reference. A dozen good pictures might save you a lot of trouble later.

Also refer to this prior discussion on a similar topic:

viewtopic.php?t=120

You will find a schematic diagram from Boston Whaler that is mostly a generic drawing of what you might typically find:

Nota bene: the above drawing is listed in my collection of DRAWINGS AVAILABLE in the REFERENCE section article about such drawings and look under the category "Electrical". See:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/drawings.html

Boston Whaler's owner's manuals also gave a narrative description of the typical boat wiring. You can find this in my reproduction in HTML of a Boston Whaler boat owner's manual. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/electrical.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm

If your inquiry to Boston Whaler produces any better information, please share by posting a follow-up to this thread. In this way others may benefit from your search for this drawing.

AndrewM

Postby AndrewM » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Jim, your comment about what's been done by others to the wiring is on target. The person who owned the boat before me was, hmmm..., not very effective at wiring and disliked marine rated materials. I've been stripping out and replacing messed up wiring in the battery compartment, to the bilge pump and things in the console I could get to by stuffing my head in there. I also ran a larger ground and power wire to the console from a new Blue Sea fuse block to handle a high powered spot light and solve any voltage drop due to undersized wire. Sometimes boat manufacturers get skimpy on the wire size, a known problem on older correct crafts like my Ski Nautique.

Pulling out the dash and fixing it has been on the list since I bought the boat four years ago. I can see the mess, just can't get to it without pulling the dash out. It would have come out last weekend but the gear the steering wheel slips over is corroded to the shaft. I applied some WD40 to loosen it up, waiting on the delivery of a gear puller now.

I will send an email to Boston Whaler and see what turns up. If I get anything, I will share it here. Thanks for the prompt replies and the links.
Andrew

AndrewM

Postby AndrewM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Jim,
I received a prompt reply from Boston Whaler with four PDF documents. The Owner's Manual for the Rage 15, what looks like a wiring description and length chart for the a small Whaler from 1996 (only one bow light not two side lights, so probably not a Rage 15), a wiring schematic for the Sport Jet motor and a wiring color chart for Boston Whalers. I think you already have the wiring color chart or some variation of it. I don't see how to upload the PDFs. I can email them to you for inclusion in the references section if you PM me your email address.
Thanks
Andrew