Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Installation

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
zigzag930

Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Installation

Postby zigzag930 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 pm

The [recently ordered] Mercury VesselView Mobile module showed up [on February 15, 2019].

Today, February 16, 2019 I decided to hook it up. I opened up the console and was expecting to plug it into an open port on my Verado four-way junction box, but there are no open ports. There is one connection (presumably to the engine), one to the Speedo, and one to the Tach. There is another one with two wires (red and black) that are directly connected to my starting battery (with an inline fuse). I have no idea what this is for or why it would be wired that way.

[What is the purpose of the two-wire connection with red and black conductors to the Smartcraft network junction box]?

My engine a Verado with DTS.

Does the DTS need unswitched power for some reason?

Until I can figure that one out, I decided to try temporarily installing it on the engine instead. I took off the cowling, but there are connectors everywhere. I can't determine where to plug this thing in.

[Give me] some guidance [where to connect the Mercury VesselView Mobile module at the engine under the cowling).

Thanks

jimh

Re: Mercury VesselView Mobile Module Installation

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

zigzag930 wrote:[What is the purpose of the two-wire connection with red and black conductors to the Smartcraft network junction box]?

I have no expert knowledge of Mercury's proprietary Smartcraft network, but, from the description you have given, the connection you are describing sounds like the network power node.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 pm

zigzag930 wrote:[Give me] some guidance [where to connect the Mercury Vessel View Mobile module at the engine under the cowling).

Based on the information provided by Mercury in their installation instructions, I would infer that if there are already Smartcraft devices installed at the helm console, then there will not be a second connection at the engine under the cowling available. As you mentioned, there is already a cable that runs from the Smartcraft four-port network junction box to the engine. That cable is most likely already using the connection at the engine which is described in the VesseView Mobile Module installation.

UPDATE: see my post below for a method to install the VV M module at the engine and keep the helm gauges connected, too.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Based on the instructions from Mercury that mention a terminator plug, there must be a similar terminator plug at the helm. You should inspect the the wiring associated with the Smartcraft devices that are connected to the four-port junction box. One of the cables may have an extra connector, and a terminator is probably connected to that extra connector.

If you find the wiring as I described above, then:

--remove the terminator from the extra connector on one of the cables;
--plug in the harness for the VesselView Mobile Module;
--connect the terminator to the extra plug on the VesselView Mobile Module wiring harness

Again, I have no expert knowledge of Mercury's proprietary Smartcraft system , but in as much as it runs on a CANBus network, it probably needs a terminator at both ends of the network.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm

I will call Mercury on Monday. They did say I could hook it up at either location, so maybe they can tell me where the motor connector is located (assuming it is available). Also, I will need to find out about that 12 power connector that is wired from the battery to the junction box. I don't see any terminator connected to the junction box.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 am

The "12 power connector" is for network power. The terminator at the helm is likely on the end of a cable going to the Tachometer or Speedometer.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:20 am

Today I decided to try out the VVM device, before I go ordering more parts.
I disconnected the Tach cable from the 4 port junction box and plugged in the VVM device. I paired it up and it connected without any problems. Then I went into the data screens and added a new screen to see what data I could obtain.

Very disappointed. Much of the data I am looking for is not selectable (or displayable). I had asked this specifically when talking to Mercury before ordering the product. No Tilt/Trim, Boost, etc. Water temp/pressure, oil temp/pressure was there but I wanted that other data as well.

So, Mercury has provided incorrect information to me as to the availability of that data. They did say this could be installed on the engine (since my 4 port junction box is full, I was going to try it there), but I can't tell if that information is correct either.

I will call them again tomorrow, but this device will get shipped back to them. At the end of the day, no matter how I hook it up, It does not provide them data I was told it would provide.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 am

Perhaps the VesselVeiw Mobile module can be installed under the engine cowling:

—locate and remove the cable to the helm from the engine connector
—connect the VV M module harness to the engine connector
—reconnect the cable to the helm to the second connector on the VVM module harness