Mercury VesselView Mobile: Configuration and Use

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
joedag1

Mercury VesselView Mobile: Configuration and Use

Postby joedag1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:41 pm

I have a VesselView Mobile module installed on my boat for a year now. I can only get the main screen to display RPM, MPH, and Fuel.

IMG_1322-2.jpg
Fig. 1. Screen capture from Mercury VesselView Mobile application on unidentified device made by the author.
IMG_1322-2.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 20901 times

Yet in Mercury's [advertisements] they have five: RPM, MPH, Fuel, Volts ,and Temp.

VVM2.jpg
Fig 2. From an advertisement for the Mercury VesselView Module data on an unidentified Smartphone application; showing FIVE data parameters.
VVM2.jpg (8.14 KiB) Viewed 20899 times

[How can VesselView Module be configured] to display the five parameters [as seen in Fig. 2]? I can't figure it out.

Ltsimp

Re: Mercury VesselView Mobile: Configuration and Use

Postby Ltsimp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 am

If I remember correctly, the information you desired is accessed by tapping on the individual icons on your screen. For instance, tapping on the Fuel icon accesses info such as fuel used, miles to empty and miles per gallon. Each of the icons on your screen leads to more information associated to that icon. Good luck.

Dutchman

Re: vessel view mobile

Postby Dutchman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 am

Q1: If [a boat has] external [fuel] tanks without sensors, when using [Mercury's VesselView Mobile module and the associated smartphone application how is data such as] fuel [REMAINING] (as shown in [Fig. 1 and 2 above] [measured]?

I thought [VesselView Mobile] gave fuel USAGE.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the VesselView Mobile module for my 2008 Mercury 60-HP engine, but before spending the money I want to know [if the $175 cost of a VesselView Mobile module will be equal in worth to the data provided], and [to make that decision] by determining the data [VesselView Mobile] will actually provide.

I don't have any Smartcraft gauges on my dash except a tachometer

Q2: What data will show on my Android phone if I get the VesselView Mobile module for my 2008 Mercury 60ELPT?

Q4 thru Q7: Will the VesselView Mobile module show:
--RPM?
--TEMP?
--FUEL USED?
--HOURS?
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

joedag1

Re: vessel view mobile

Postby joedag1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm

I need to know how to add the other parameters like VOLTAGE and TEMPERATURE, [as shown above in Fig. 2.]

[Above in Fig. 1] is a screenshot of my VesselView.

There has to be a way to add the other two.

joedag1

Re: Measuring FUEL USED

Postby joedag1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Re measuring FUEL USED;

The [Mercury engine's controller or ECU] measures fuel flow very accurately.

[The Mercury VesselView Module remains] on sale for $150--it was $275.

Ltsimp

Postby Ltsimp » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 am

[In regard to changing configuration or use of the VesselView Module, your smartphone running the Vessel View Mobile application] must be connected via Bluetooth to the [Mercury] engine [that has the VesseView Module] when you try to access the information.

If not connected, you will not have access to those screens you want.

As for [how] fuel [tank] levels [are deduced], the starting amount of fuel information is entered by the user and the VesselView [infers the present fuel tank level] from there.

jimh

Re: Measuring FUEL USED

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am

joedag1 wrote:The [Mercury engine's controller or ECU] measures fuel flow very accurately.

Are you completely certain that there is a measurement of fuel flow made in the every Mercury engine?

I have doubts that could be true. It would be more reasonable that the engine control unit or ECU infers that a certain amount of fuel has been used by calculation of a fuel volume based on engine throttle setting and other parameters, according to the programmed fuel map for each engine. The fuel flow rates for modern engines at low speed are very small, and to have a sensor in the fuel line that could measure those low rates of fuel flow would be very unlikely, mainly due to the cost of such an accurate sensor. I have never heard of a modern engine actually having a fuel flow rate sensor.

jimh

Re: Measurement of Fuel Tank Level

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am

Ltsimp wrote:As for [how] fuel [tank] levels [are deduced], the starting amount of fuel information is entered by the user and the VesselView [infers the present fuel tank level] from there.

This method of deducing a fluid tank level is what I would call an INDIRECT method. For a more detailed explanation of how the tank level in a fluid tank can be deduced without having a tank level sensor, see my article on this topic at:

Fuel Tank Level Measurement
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... Level.html

This method is used by just about ALL modern outboard engines, and is not in anyway unique to this particular instrumentation device.

John Bell

Postby John Bell » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 pm

I just installed the VesselView Mobile module on the 40-HP [Mercury engine] on my 130 SPORT, and I have been very pleased. I missed the $150 sale that ended March 31, but even at $225 direct from Mercury, I think VesselView Mobile module was well worth its cost. Installation took about 10 minutes. If I had to do the installation again for another boat, the installation would take just a couple of minutes. I use the iPhone iOS app, and I assume the Android app is similar.

I had no idea how many hours were on my engine, and the VesselView Mobile app gives me the hours. The VesselView Mobile app is also great as it shows FUEL REMAINING without having to reach under the seat and feel the weight of the tank. The VesselView Mobile app calculates fuel remaining by using your input data for the starting fuel volume and subtracting the cumulative fuel use derived from the fuel flow.

I saw a post discussing how the fuel flow is measured. I don't know the full details about the fuel flow measurement, but I assume that the engine control unit has a pretty accurate measurement or derivation from some other parameter such as air flow. In any case, it works well.

Since the phone has a GPS receiver to give speed-over-ground and the VesselView Mobile sends fuel flow, a measurement of miles per gallon (MPG) is possible. The app can also provide an estimate of how much RANGE remains based on the current boat speed and engine fuel flow. I really haven't paid much attention to the range remaining, but I find the MPG measurement interesting. I have not noticed any lag in the MPG calculation. As soon as the boat stabilizes at a speed and the engine at an RPM, the MPG is stable.

I found a Bluetooth pairing to be somewhat difficult. I tried to pair the VesselView Mobile module and my iPhone like a Bluetooth headphone through the Bluetooth settings instead of connecting through the app.

I think screen customization in the app could also use improvement. Going back to the main screen at the start of this post, the trick is to tap on the parameters. For example, tap the fuel on the main screen to get more detail. I then tapped one of the parameters, I think it was time to empty, to get more information.

A good source is the FAQ on http://www.vesselviewmobile.com. The direct link to the FAQ info is here: https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/mer ... f?u=orhjei.
Last edited by John Bell on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks for your comments on the Mercury VesselView Mobile module installation and use of the iOS app.

SIDEBAR: Regarding the topic of how modern outboard engines provide data about the rate of fuel flow, I do not think fuel flow rate data is derived from the rate of air flow into the engine as you have proposed. To sense the rate of air flow a mass air flow (MAF) sensor is used. This sensor is common on automobile engines and typically works based on the electrical current needed to maintain the temperature of a heated wire. The wire is cooled by the air flow and the current needed to maintain it at a constant temperature is then proportional to the air flow rate.

I don't know for certain all Mercury outboard engines utilize a MAF in their fuel system calculations. A MAF sensor is usually part of a closed-loop control system which also has an exhaust gas oxygen sensor. Because the exhaust path in most outboard engines is a wet path in which water is present to cool the exhaust manifolds, an oxygen sensor may not work well. About the only outboard engine that I am aware using an exhaust gas oxygen sensor was the old Yamaha Ox66 series of two-stroke-power-cycle engines. Further investigation into use of MAF sensors in modern Mercury outboard engines would be an interesting topic for a separate discussion.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am

I've ordered a Simrad GO9 MFD and RS 35 VHF Radio. I want to be able to view the 135 HP Verado with SmartCraft engine operating data on the MFD. I'm under the impression that to accomplish this I will need a Mercury VesselView Module (Mercury Part Number 8M0110693) as a data bridge to the MFD at a cost of approximately $600. One of the features of the MFD is wireless connectivity.

Is it possible to use an alternative to the $600 module such as the VesselView Mobile under discussion?

Aside: The Simrad RS 35 Vhf radio is currently selling at http://www.defender.com for $159.99 through June 18 by using coupon code DEF189 or look up on "Defender 1st Price" item number 259473.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am

After consulting with our local Mercury dealer I purchased a Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway Module part # 8M0151748 for $400. I have no experience with NMEA 2000 so I hope this works out. That's considerably more expensive than VesselView Mobile but so it goes.
Butch

John Bell

Postby John Bell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm

I suspect the NMEA gateway might be better if you have a chart plotter that supports NMEA 2000. Butch's dealer probably gave him sound advice based on his boat and what he did with it. However, VesselView was perfect for my use on a 130 sport. The big thing is that I wanted to be able to easily find out how many hours were on the engine. The second most useful feeling for me was to find out my fuel use, although I cross check it by reaching under the seat to see how heavy the tank is.

I used Vessel View on my iPhone before. However, Vessel View has had a recent update to make it work better on the iPad. I mounted my iPad mini on the console and it works great. With the built in Apple maps, it is possible to have Maps on one side and Vessel View on the other using Split Screen. Even with other maps, it is possible to overlay Vessel View on a map such as Navionics Boating using Slide Over. The difference between Split Screen and Slide Over is explained by a multitude of YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... slide+over.

If you are buying an iPad, make sure that you get one that supports cellular data. The cellular models have a GPS capability whether you use the cellular capability or not. If you already have an iPad, you can use a Garmin Glo or Bad Elf to get GPS. In either case, you can tether to your phone for data.

I used the Dockem Koala mount from Amazon.

Here are some pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SvKKn5QZywNNsgu2A

John Bell

Postby John Bell » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pm

VesselView has a cool new feature that gives a performance report. Access the menu with the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner. Look for Performance Report under Performance. I have attached an example.
Attachments
Johns Whaler2020-02-15T20_03_20.pdf
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 515 times