Connecting Mercury SmartCraft to a NEMA 2000 Network

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Jefecinco

Connecting Mercury SmartCraft to a NEMA 2000 Network

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 am

The following is a description of how this was recently done on our 190 Montauk to connect the existing SmartCraft system to a new Simrad GO9 MFD and RS-35 VHF Radio. Both Simrad devices are NMEA 2000 capable.

I took on this project in order to display all the engine (135 HP Mercury Verado) SmartCraft user data on the MFD. To simplify the project and allow the AIS receiver data to display on the MFD a NEMA 2000 backbone was installed with the MFD and VHF radio. An extra NMEA "T" connector was added to the backbone to receive the data from the SmartCraft system drop cable. There is a very easy way to install the required backbone and T connectors for this project. Actisense manufactures a "RIB Starter Kit" part number A2K-RSK available from Eastern Marine and EBay. The EBay price is $89 and worth it if you are, like me, old and somewhat arthritic. The benefits of the Actisense backbone are it's simplicity of installation and use. It should also be slightly less vulnerable to moisture intrusion. If you choose to build a backbone the parts needed are available from West Marine and others. I elected to make up a backbone to avoid the shipping wait for the Actisense backbone. Simrad makes connecting to the backbone very simple by providing NEMA 2000 drops (connectors) ready to connect to the backbone T connectors.

The most difficult part of the process was learning exactly what Mercury parts were needed. If researching this you will find a lot of mostly conflicting information. This post is intended to help avoid buying the wrong and possibly much more expensive parts.

Three Mercury parts are needed. (1) NEMA 2000 Gateway Module Assembly, Part No. 8M0151748, cost from my local dealer after discount $300 (2) 6 way 10 pin male junction box, Part No. 878492T16 cost from my dealer after discount $65 (3) junction box weather cap, Part Number 859318T2 cost from my dealer after discount $10. Note: a NEMA "T" connector is included with the Gateway Module. If making a backbone one less "T" connector can be purchased. These parts can be purchased from Amazon, EBay, etc.

The first step was to disconnect the four 10 pin connectors from the existing SmartCraft junction box and remove the box. Second step was to replace the existing junction box with the new 6 way box and reconnect the existing 10 pin connectors. Third was to connect the Gateway Module to the junction box and to the backbone. Fourth was to plug the weather cap in the unused junction box position.

Now it's time to turn on the radio, MFD and ignition key to see engine gauges.
Butch

jriver

Re: Connecting Mercury SmartCraft to a NEMA 2000 Network

Postby jriver » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 am

Hello, Im currently tackling a similar project with my 2014 220 Outrage with a 300 Verado. Did your SC1000 gauges worked also?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:20 am

A major reason I connected my SmartCraft information to an MFD was because the SC1000 gauges were so difficult to use. I never used the gauge(s) after connecting to the MFD.
Butch

jriver

Postby jriver » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:26 am

Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if they can be connected as well via the junction box. Don't want to see them "not working" on my console.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:09 am

It's been so long since I've dealt with SmartCraft that I'm simply unqualified to offer any useful advice on the system. Sorry.
Butch

Julian758

Postby Julian758 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:21 am

I opted to link my SmartCraft data to an MFD primarily due to the challenging usability of the SC1000 gauges. Following the connection to the MFD, I found little to no need for the original gauges and rarely used them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:04 am

The designation "gateway" in terms of networking refers to a device that connects to TWO networks, usually of different types using different protocols, and is intended to translate data from one network and that network's protocol to a second network and that second network's protocol. This translation may be only one-way or may be two-way, as it depends entirely on the design and features provided in the gateway device.

There should NOT be any problem resulting from the installation of the gateway on the normal operation of either of the two connected networks. If there were problems, then the gateway would be a terrible product and no one would buy it.

When a Mercury SmartCraft-to-NMEA-2000 gateway is installed, it has two network connections. One is to the SmartCraft network and the second is to the NMEA-2000 network.

A NMEA-2000 display also will be connected to that NMEA-2000 network, and on that network the NMEA-2000 will be getting data from the Mercury Smartcraft-to-NMEA-2000 gateway that is now sending information in the NMEA-2000 protocol instead of in the SmartCraft protocol. The other devices on the SmartCraft network are not going to affected by the presence of another display device on the NMEA-2000 network.