LED Underwater Lamps

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Outrage 20

LED Underwater Lamps

Postby Outrage 20 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:10 am

I recently completed a project to add LED underwater lamps to the transom of my 20-foot Boston Whaler boat. The LED underwater lamps really light up the water. I bought the LED underwater lamps from Bass Pro Shops. If interested in the source see:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-led-high-output-underwater-light

LED_lamp.png
Fig. 1. Round LED underwater lamp as sold at Bass Pro Shop for about $60.
LED_lamp.png (46.75 KiB) Viewed 6424 times

Most [power wiring for LED underwater lamps is intended] to be [routed through the] hull or transom. [Because the hull of my boat is a Boston Whaler Unibond hull], I made the custom mounts using KING StarBoard. To accommodate the the power wire exiting from the base of each lamp, a groove [cut into the mounting base] provides a path for the wiring to exit; without the groove recess the lamps could not mount flush to the transom.

customMount_.jpg
Fig. 2. Custom mount with relief groove to permit power wiring to exit.
customMount_.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

powerWiringRoute_.jpg
Fig. 3. The power wiring was oriented to exit toward the engine, and the wiring was run within the engine mount upward and over the transom, then through a rigging tunnel to the helm console.
powerWiringRoute_.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 6449 times

panel_.jpg
Fig. 4. The control panel for the lamps was installed on the helm dashboard. A voltmeter reads the supply voltage to this circuit. One switch controls underwater LED lamps, and the second switch controls another lamp circuit.
panel_.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 6447 times

sternView_.jpg
Fig. 5. View of the LED underwater lamps from astern.
sternView_.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 6444 times

jenkinsph

Re: LED Underwater Lamps

Postby jenkinsph » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 am

Your work looks great.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am

Who is the manufacturer and what is their part number for the control panel you used?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:39 am

How were the custom KING StarBoard mounting panels fastened to the transom?

Outrage 20

Postby Outrage 20 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:33 am

The KING StarBoard custom panels were mounted to the transom by stainless steel screws dipped in 3M5200 adhesive-sealant.

[A sidebar on a somewhat related topic about the practical use or purpose of underwater hull or transom lamps has been separated from this discussion of the electrical aspect and installation of LED underwater lamps to the transom. The new sidebar thread is in THE GAM--Moderator.]