Re: FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar Model DRS4W Installation

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Outrage 20

Re: FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar Model DRS4W Installation

Postby Outrage 20 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:49 pm

The installation of a FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar Model DRS4W onto the Stryker T-Top on my 20-foot boat took five hours and was straight forward. Figures 1 shows the finished installation, below.
radomeOnTTop_.jpg
Fig. 1. The radome mounted atop the T-Top, viewed from astern
radomeOnTTop_.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 9133 times

The FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar Model DRS4W was mounted to the center mounting plate on the Stryker T-Top; the plate material was easily drilled. After drilling through the fabric of the T-top, I burned the loose thread ends of fabric around the mounting holes and applied a glue to them to prevent unraveling.

The mounting location for the iPad that will used to display the radar's plan position indicator display is being worked out; I don't anticipate this will be a big problem.

The set-up of the iPad for use with the radar was straightforward, and the time required to perform the set up was short. The iOS device uses an app and connects using WiFi to the radar.

radarPPI_.jpg
Fig. 2. The plan position indicator display on an iPad being handheld.
radarPPI_.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 9133 times

The heading line will be verified with radar targets to make sure it is correctly oriented.

I bought the FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar Model DRS4W from BOE Marine when it was on backorder. They gave me updates on the backorder status. Their price was good. They gave good service.