Outrage 17 and Outrage 17 II: Prices; Lake Michigan Boat

A conversation among Whalers
CHeil

Outrage 17 and Outrage 17 II: Prices; Lake Michigan Boat

Postby CHeil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:27 pm

For some time I have been looking for a Outrage 17 or OUTRAGE 17 II. Where I am going to keep the boat has a beam restriction of seven feet.

[Give me your estimate of a reasonable price for a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 17 or OUTRAGE 17 II].

I will be using [the Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 17 or OUTRAGE 17 II] in Lake Michigan [and in] some smaller inland lakes.

Is an Outrage 17 [or OUTRAGE 17 II okay] for that application?

I have another larger boat so [use of the OUTRAGE 17 or OUTRAGE 17 II in Lake MIchigan and smaller inland lakes] would not be all the time.

What is the best power on [OUTRAGE 17 and OUTRAGE 17 II] boats?

Thanks

Phil T

Re: 17 Outrage

Postby Phil T » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 am

Beam specification:

1990-1995 Outrage 17 I is 6'8"
1996-1999 Outrage 17 II is 7'0"

Engine HP
Outrage 17 I: Max hp is 120hp. The suggested max engine weight is 400 lbs.
Outrage 17 II Max hp is 150hp.

Both models will be suitable for the Great Lakes, I know of two Outrage 17 I owners who frequent Lake Michigan and Lake Erie.
The market for each of these ranges from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on condition. Finding one for sale is the challenge.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Outrage 17

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm

It is hard to assess what will be a reasonable price for a particular model of Boston Whaler boat without knowing more particulars. The value of any Boston Whaler boat is primarily a function of its age, present condition, its outboard engine, it trailer, and the other gear and accessories included.

jimh

Re: Outrage 17

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm

If you want to be able to get out into Lake Michigan, it would be helpful to know which shore (East or West) and approximately where on the lake you plan to go. For some of the open and unprotected waters off the Michigan coastline, I wouldn't plan on going into Lake Michigan on a regular basis unless you have a 25-foot hull. Those shores take a pounding. You might be able to get out there a few days a month in a 17-footer, but you will be wind and wave limited.

CHeil

Re: Outrage 17 and Outrage 17 II: Prices; Lake Michigan Boat

Postby CHeil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm

The [Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 17 and OUTRAGE 17 II] I am inclined to buy is a 1995 with 1995 Yamaha [two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine,] galvanized trailer, very little extra gear, no electronics, very low hours, and has been always stored inside. [The boat's h]ull is in great shape.

Most Lake Michigan boating would be in the Ludington area.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Ludington, Michigan--ouch. That area of Lake Michigan is exposed to a long and unobstructed fetch from all points of the compass with a bit of West in them. I would expect that the number of days you can go out into Lake Michigan from Ludington is going to be rather limited. You should take that into consideration if being able to get out into Lake Michigan is really an important aspect of using this boat.

I recommend you visit the webpage for an offshore meteorologic buoy and check its historical data:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45024

Here is a search inquiry looking for periods of three hours with wave height less than 0.5-meter:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/histsearch.php ... &t3b=&v3b=

Here is a summary of that search:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/histsearch.php ... =&mode=sum

You should filter out the periods of low wave height that occur in total darkness.

PeteB88

Postby PeteB88 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 pm

I have a 95 Outrage 17 with original 95 Johnson 115 and use it in Lake Michigan 90% of the time - West Michigan usually out of Grand Haven or Muskegon. It has worked out extremely well for us - we've talked about bigger boat or cuddy but Ellen loves the Outrage.

We moved to the area in 08 and bought the boat shortly after. It is a terrific boat and we are "trailer boaters" 100% of the time. There is no question this model can handle 2-4s with no problem. Compared to Montauk it has definite advantages in "chop". When waves are bigger it has a definite sweet spot; it likes to ride on top of the waves once you get it trimmed right (no tabs or fin) which is pretty easy. In those conditions crew and passengers stand. A few times we got caught suddenly in bigger waves (waves building) than NOAA was predicting and I'd be very careful depending entirely on NOAA forecasts. For example two summers ago we were with close friends (couple who were not experienced boaters) and we left Grand Haven Channel northbound for Muskegon (or Mona Lake) with lunch on board. I usually cruise right along shore or ~ three miles off shore if lots of boat traffic to stay out of wakes. At Mona Lake (7-8 miles maybe) my passenger was feeling a bit sea sick so I ducked into the channel and Mona Lake, found a cove and had lunch and some wine - admirable time. I noticed weather building, checked the radio and electronics and thunderstorm was rolling on from NW and fast. We took cover at the Mona Lake Boating Club (actually attended a wedding reception on the grounds!!) until the storm blew through. I told the group - "okay, it's not gonna be nice out there and if not, we will come back in, leave the boat and get a ride home and I'll pick up the boat later or we can go for it" - so we went for it and it was pretty rough out there - I anticipated seas to continue to build and was correct.

We have had the Outrage 17 and our 13 on Hamlin Lake many times but I've never launched at Ludington - always wanted to. Our close friend has place on N shore of upper Hamlin walking distance from Nordhouse. FYI.

I ordered PFDs on and kill switch hooked and we proceeded. The only bailout plan was to beach the boat or keep going. We were the only boat out there but USCG Station Grand Haven south and Station Muskegon north and two VHFs(one battery) on board. About half way seas got bigger but we kept boat trimmed an in a plane the whole way. At the pier heads I tacked off shore to find a sweet set of waves to surf in on and we did just fine. As is characteristic for that boat, which constantly blows my mind, we never took on one drop of water.

This blows my mind too - She will easily handle six adults on board. (capacity) No problem. I got one of the last proper bow cushions from Lois in Homosassa which the ladies love. Typical cruise is two or three lounged out on the bow cushion one or two on the cooler seat (lots of weight up front) or one or two back with me. Some passengers love the aft quarter seats. I never ever have a problem trimming the boat or dealing with six and their gear (I insist on dry bags and provide small ones for wallets, keys etc Seattle Sports or NRS). When we cruise Spring Lake or Muskegon Lake when there's lots of boat traffic you have to pay attention to boat wakes especially big motor yachts going in and out of the channels. IN those conditions when two or three are splayed out on the forward deck and I am not in a plane just cruising, when we are about to encounter a big wake that would come over the rails I just throttle up a bit, bow picks right up and everyone happy. One more thing, outdoor girls are just fine with lack of facilities and if necessary becomes real necessary and in a crowd, the anchor locker doubles as a convenient and semi-private ladies necessary spot real easy - just pull out the drain plug first and it goes into auto rinse mode for the locker. .

All these accolades considered the reality is you still have a 17 ft boat and although it can handle things very well, there's nto much waterline for big stuff. Don't expect it to be comfortable in bigger waves - chop no problem but it is not a 32. When it's wild on the big lake you can have a freaking blast with it. But I have never been in waves over my head where I'm looking at water between the troughs.

I have considered repowering but after full eval by Dave at Lockeman's and his assessment a couple of years ago, I'm fine with th 95 115 for the amount of time we use it. It's also very nice to have 34 gallons on board.

Nevertheless there are so many attributes and advantages especially easy to haul and ground handle (it is way bigger than a Montauk), convenient and so versatile. The one boat I would absolutely love to check out is the 19 foot version of this design. Friends from HS have one - they live NW Michigan in summer and trailer their 19 Outrage to Keys every winter. My guess is that boat has clear advantages in bigger conditions than the 17 and it looks like that forward deck is huge.

I doubt there is any other 17 foot boat that can do what a Boston Whaler Outrage 17 of that vintage can do so well. Hope all this helps. If you have other questions, message me.