1979 Montauk Registration Problem

A conversation among Whalers
rjwoody4

1979 Montauk Registration Problem

Postby rjwoody4 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 am

I went to register my newly acquired 1979 Montauk yesterday but the Massachusetts Environmental Police office had a problem with the boat's HIN. The New Jersey tile has it as "BWCC7 893M7 9KHUL L" I know it should be just "BWC C7893 M 79K" but since the metal HIN tag is mostly unreadable--only 7893 79K is visible--they said I have to have it inspected by the Environmental Police.

The next problem will be the New Jersey Tile and Reg says it's a 1980 but we know by the HIN it's actually a 1979. Right now I'm waiting on a call from the EP to inspect the boat. Anyone have any experience like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

jimh

Re: 1979 Montauk Registration Problem

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 am

I infer that the actual HIN on your boat should read BWC C7893 M 79K. Contact Boston Whaler customer service. Ask them to verify that HIN and cross reference to the STENCIL NUMBER on the hull. Assuming the STENCIL NUMBER is still visible, this should give you a proper confirmation of the HIN.

If the registration agent has problems interpreting the metal tag, refer the agent to my FAQ on this topic. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

and have the agent read the material under the heading "Missing Letters or Numbers on Metal Tag."

rjwoody4

Postby rjwoody4 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks Jim, good advice.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

To elaborate, the HIN BWC C7893 M 79K is decoded as follows:

BWC = the manufacturer identification code (MIC) for Boston Whaler; this may be lost on the metal tag but it is clearly inferred from the boat appearance, decals, and prior registration;

C7893 = the hull serial or production number; see more below about the significance of this number;

M = identifies the HIN as a model year format numbering of the hull;

79K = identifies the year and date of production as 1979 June.

The hull production sequence number C7893 is part of the sequence allocated to 17-foot hulls in the MONTAUK series. Refer to an additional document at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... uence2.jpg

and note the A5 through N9 prefix is reserved for 17-foot MONTAUK type hulls. (See right hand column and upper third of listing). You can also refer to a third document at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/hin-sequence.pdf

which will again show that a 17-foot hull production number will be in a sequence starting C5000 through C7999. Clearly your hull's production number C7893 is exactly within this range of production numbers.

The HIN as decoded shows the following information clearly and unambiguously:

--the hull was made by Boston Whaler in June of 1979

--the hull is a 17-foot hull of the MONTAUK style and its hull serial number was C7893, appropriate for the pre-allocated sequences according to Boston Whaler's own literature on that topic demonstrated in two different listings of the sequences.

The registration from New Jersey seems to include the word "HULL" in the HIN, which is completely outside of any scheme of federal HIN numbering and clearly represents some sort of clerical error in the process of registration with that state.

Any Massachusetts bureaucrat that can't accept this information as clear and unambiguous evidence of the original HIN of your boat is just being an obstinate civil servant with a bit of attitude. Gently and politely point out to the bureaucrat that the boat was MADE IN MASSACHUSETTS, is perhaps the most popular 17-foot hull in the history of boating, and is a legendary boat associated with the state and the city of Boston. If that doesn't work, consider moving to New Hampshire (state motto, "Live free or die").

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Regarding the "model year," the boat was produced in June 1979. It could very well be a 1980 model year. The change over in model year varies with particular boat builders, and Boston Whaler would be the source of authority on what model year a boat produced in June 1979 would belong to. Since the prior registration indicated the boat is a "1980" boat, it could very well have been sold as a 1980 model year boat.

Landlocked

Postby Landlocked » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

My Montauk HIN contains 75 but it is registered as a 77.

Ll.