c.1986 MONTAUK Instrument Panel Black Aluminum Plates

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mb159

c.1986 MONTAUK Instrument Panel Black Aluminum Plates

Postby mb159 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi guys, getting a 1986 Montauk, and it needs new black aluminum instrument plates. Is there a readily available source? I did a search on the site, but got [no] results. Thanks

jimh

Re: c.1986 MONTAUK Instrument Panel Black Aluminum Plates

Postby jimh » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Here is a search for "OEM source instrument panels": LINK. There are 33 results.

For advice on recommended vendors and OEM suppliers, see the article in REFERENCE:

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

For HELM ELECTRICAL PANELS, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html#helmPanels

I don't know of any source of panels available from stock for immediate delivery. Typically you'd have to order a custom panel. It is not very difficult to fabricate your own aluminum electrical panel. Just get some aluminum plate of appropriate thickness. Cut to size. Drill holes as needed. Paint black. Add white pin stripe. Add custom labels with transfer lettering.

See my article in REFERENCE on this topic at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/conventionalGaugeRigging.html

mb159

Postby mb159 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

You'll have to forgive me Jim. My search was titled simply "aluminum instrument panel" and it came back with 0 results. Actually, the panels are readily available at Twin Cities Marine as I learned when I called yesterday to see if they knew where to find them. The panels are a stock item with them. Also, I am well aware that they could be custom made, but I was trying to avoid that route if possible.

Thanks for the reply, but the sarcasm isn't necessary.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:12 am

The purpose of the entire website is to share knowledge. Thanks for sharing the knowledge that you found electrical panels for a c.1986 Boston Whaler boat available from Twin Cities Marine. Are they making those panels themselves?

Your inference of sarcasm in my reply to your request for information is unfortunate. None was intended. You seemed to have seriously misread my remarks.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:23 am

mb159 wrote:...My search was titled simply "aluminum instrument panel" and it came back with 0 results.

A search of the website for "aluminum instrument panel" returns about 95 results: LINK

The first result in the search results points to a thread that mentions that panels are being sold by Twin Cities, but have a slight variance from the originals.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 am

NOTA BENE: regarding how to search the resources of CONTINUOUSWAVE for information, please refer to the article I wrote about one year ago on this topic in the INTRODUCTION forum. See

SEARCH: New Forum Searching
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=820

All search functions will have variable outcomes depending on the search arguments, and the range allowed in the search.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:39 am

mb159 wrote:... getting a 1986 Montauk, and it needs new black aluminum instrument plates.

You might also consider just refurbishing the existing aluminum panels, assuming they are not badly damaged or corroded away. A bit of sanding and some new spray paint could have the aluminum panels looking like new.

Also, you'll have to understand my nature to fabricate my own panels. I have been involved in making my own custom electronic devices since I was 14-year-old, first as an electronic hobbyist, then for 40-years as a professional designer and installer of custom electronic systems. Perhaps that skews my thinking about how to make or how to refurbish an electrical instrument panel.

mb159

Postby mb159 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am

Since my search returned 0 results, I must have not searched correctly. Per Sue yesterday at Twin Cities, the panels are $45, and they are by the OEM supplier, whatever that means. The gauge configuration is changing on this boat and for that reason refurbishing of the existing ones isn't an option. This is my second Montauk. My previous Whaler was a 1987 model. That ownership is how I originally found this website and it was and is a godsend with the wealth of knowledge and experience of its members. If I misread your initial reply, I apologize. it seemed to have a condescending tone. Bad thing about posts and written form, it is difficult to know the context in which something is stated. I appreciate your efforts in providing and maintaining this website as it is an invaluable source of information.

Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

It sounds like the new panels will be completely blank. I see the need for new ones as you are re-doing the gauge layout.

If you are going to cut large round holes in the new panel, I suggest you first fasten the new panel to a piece of scrap wood that is about an inch-thick as a backing. Having a thick wood backing when drilling into the new aluminum panel should help the pilot drill of the hole saw stay in place and not wander. If can also help reduce the tendency for the exit side of the hole to develop a ridge. And put a layer or two of masking tape over the whole surface of the new panel when drilling it.

Re "tone" in writing: well, I had one fellow that I met in person tell me something like this: "Jim, you are a lot more laid back that I expected, not the sorta jerk you are on the website."

mb159

Postby mb159 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the advice on drilling the new plates. I certainly don't want to hack up a $45panel!!

I never said you were/are a jerk! I'll reserve that designation for later after more correspondence!! You may want to use it for me!!

Thanks for your response!

Mike