c.1995 DAUNTLESS 15

A conversation among Whalers
pburrows

c.1995 DAUNTLESS 15

Postby pburrows » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 am

Hi guys--I am considering the purchase of at c.1995 Dauntless 15 for use within estuary beach hopping and fishing. I would like to bring back of the original character of the Whaler style. Please see the attached pictures.

Can I get the original seating and a windshield shipped from USA [to the] UK?

I don't like the blue seating.

What else do you think would make a [c.1995 Dauntless 15] benefit from?

Also, what does everyone think of the Dauntless 15?

Is this a good boat for a family of four for occasional recreational use?

It does not have the classic smirk hull.

Jefecinco

Re: UK Boston Whaler question! :)

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 am

The 15 will require a friendly family of four for enjoyment. It will be close quarters, especially when you add some gear. Storage is not a big plus. However, it can be a lot of fun for a close family.

Replacing the cushions with OEM or close to OEM will be costly. It looks like the original cushions have been covered with Sunbrella or similar. I'm sure you checked to see if the original vinyl is under the fabric? Sunbrella, if not beautiful, is an excellent boat upholstery material. If you want white vinyl it would probably be far more economical to have a local fabricator recover the cushions.

The windshield could also probably be locally fabricated at a reasonable cost. I've heard of folks that fabricated windshields as a DIY project. Make a template, obtain the materials, cut, heat and bend, drill and install?
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 pm

For the cushions, contact Tena at Anderson's Upholstery in Florida. They are the only remaining provider who has OEM vinyl, the patterns and provide the high quality a Boston Whaler provides.
Tell her we sent you.

amui.tena@gmail.com

http://amfg.us/15-dauntless/

For the windshield,
You may want to try to source it in the UK, looking for someone who fabricates lexan/polycarbonate windshields in England. Try calling Dorset Yachts for a reference. They are the UK distributor of Whalers. I have been told they are not extremely helpful.
Lake Yard, Lake Drive, Hamworthy
Poole, Dorset
BH15 4DT
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1202 674531
sales@bostonwhaler.co.uk

As a last resort, contact Sue Lodel of Twin Cities Marine, she is the guru of whaler parts and can find what you need and she ships international.
slodel@beaconmarinellc.com

http://www.beacontcm.com

Let us know how you get on.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

pburrows

Postby pburrows » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 am

Thanks guys. I haven't completed the sale yet. The fellas in the picture are my buddies launching for the weekend last month. I will take a look under the sunbrella for the original vinyl. Thanks for the links, much appreciated.

Sharkbait

Postby Sharkbait » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:19 am

Try calling Dorset Yachts for a reference. They are the UK distributor of Whalers. I have been told they are not extremely helpful.

As a UK-Boston-Whaler-Outrage-210-owner I can vouch for this fact being, unfortunately, true.

Thankfully there's not much you really need from them and for the cushions I'd probably be looking to get them from Florida - no idea on the screen though.
What else do you think would make it benefit from?

Another 3' length?! ;)
How many in your family? If it's for more than two of you I think I'd be looking for an Outrage 17 or similar. The 15 would be fine but kids just keep on growing and you may soon find yourself looking longingly at bigger boats.

No idea what your budget is but there's a Guardian 18 on ebaythat's not reached it's reserve - needs some work but could be pretty good - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSTON-WHALER-GUARDIAN-18-/332204916013?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=VYTxyC2S9W8EQF1f8LNj6GKJt4Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

pburrows

Postby pburrows » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am

Hey sharkbait, thanks for the reply. We are a family of 4 plus a dog. My son is already 6ft2 and growing, my daughter is shooting up as well.

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure about the Guardian. What is everyones opinion of these? They don't seem much like a classic whaler to me. Please let me know if I am wrong!

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Technically that is a Raider hull. The bow area is the telling feature. It is a classic Outrage hull with extra fiberglass in the keel, transom etc. It is build for commercial and military. Think hard core work/patrol boat.

It will be a great riding hull and can handle the channel conditions. The waterline shows the hull has not absorbed much water, a good sign.

The fuel tank cover can be repaired, there is alot of detailed information on this website.

You can outfit it for family cruising, fishing or both.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Sharkbait

Postby Sharkbait » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for the extra info Phil.
OP, you probably know that all BW go for a premium over here. That eBay boat has not sold twice now so it may be worth giving the guy a call seeing as he's put his number there.
Could be a good ongoing project boat ..... but then you may not be looking for a project!

thediscusthrower

Postby thediscusthrower » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Jefecinco wrote:The 15 will require a friendly family of four for enjoyment. It will be close quarters, especially when you add some gear. Storage is not a big plus. However, it can be a lot of fun for a close family.

Replacing the cushions with OEM or close to OEM will be costly. It looks like the original cushions have been covered with Sunbrella or similar. I'm sure you checked to see if the original vinyl is under the fabric? Sunbrella, if not beautiful, is an excellent boat upholstery material. If you want white vinyl it would probably be far more economical to have a local fabricator recover the cushions.

The windshield could also probably be locally fabricated at a reasonable cost. I've heard of folks that fabricated windshields as a DIY project. Make a template, obtain the materials, cut, heat and bend, drill and install?

I think I remember getting a replacement windshield for my 15' Dauntless from Daytona Plastics.

Bob

thediscusthrower

Re: c.1995 DAUNTLESS 15

Postby thediscusthrower » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:07 pm

pburrows wrote:Can I get the original seating and a windshield shipped from USA [to the] UK? I don't like the blue seating.
What else do you think would make a [c.1995 Dauntless 15] benefit from?
Also, what does everyone think of the Dauntless 15?
Is this a good boat for a family of four for occasional recreational use?

I just got a quote back from AMU for vinyl (not including the rear platform):

Anderson Mfg & Upholstery, Inc.
1427 Chaffee Drive Suite 4
Titusville, FL 32780
(321)267-7028

Bow Cushion $300.00
54 Qt Cooler Cushion $133.00
Reversible helm seat bottom (hard bottom with new slats) $260.00
Reversible helm Backrest $220.00
Snap Install alignment tool (if you need it) $11.00 (loose caps and sockets are included with the cushion purchase)
Pricing Does NOT include shipping.

I love the boat and have owned it since 2005. Ideal when used with (1-2) persons aboard vs. (4). Mine was not [originally] equipped with the front & rear fishing-seat mount brackets, swivel mounts to the chairs, curved poles & chairs. I bought the bracket from Sue Lodel in Wisconsin and installed myself; one inside the storage compartment up-front and one in the middle of the platform out back. Everything else was picked-up on EBay. Works perfect and is stable on the water. I opted for the curved seat poles. Boat is easy to launch and recover by yourself. Porpoises somewhat with a 70 hp Evinrude but a Stingray Hydrofoil helps with the power tilt to fine tune.

I would install a depth finder in your case and a outboard tilt indicator.

Bob