Painting over TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Sailor536

Painting over TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer

Postby Sailor536 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 pm

I have applied four coats of TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer on the outside hull of a 13-foot Boston Whaler boat. Now I want to topcoat with paint, with the goal of making the hull look close to the original gel coat color.

I am looking for a paint that is:

--compatible with the primer,

--can be put on with a sprayer or brush and roller,

--good for a novice--this is my first restoraton of a 1964 13-footer,

--used on a boat that will be in the water from a few hours to maybe (at most) a week, and

--hard enough for infrequent beaching.

What paint products would you suggest I use?

--Spectrum Paint's Boston Whaler Oyster 19Xx

--Awlgrip

--Total Boat's Wet Edge Topside Paint

--Others

Thanks,

JIm
13 Boston Whaler Hull 14379 - 1964

jimh

Re: Painting over TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer

Postby jimh » Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 am

The word that causes me to have some concern in the "TotalProtect Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer" description is epoxy. Often with epoxy resin there is an amine blush that occurs during the curing of the resin. This amine blush has to be cleaned off with soap and water before top coating. Does TotalBoat say anything about an amine blush occurring with their epoxy paint? I'd check carefully to be certain there won't be any sort of problem with a top coat over the epoxy barrier coat.

Also, have you seen the demonstration recording by TotalBoat involving refinishing of a 13-footer, ending up with application of their "Wet Edge" paint? It is on youTube. It shows application of the top coat finish using a brush. The URL is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUOlWPvgLfQ

Sailor536

Postby Sailor536 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for the information about amine blush that occurs when epoxy cures. I didn't see any warnings about amine blush in the product literature, but I did find a Total Boat You Tube video about amine blush and how to remove it with soap, water and scrubbing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5J6PIt4sA8

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I was planning on using Acetone or Xylene to clean the primer, but found out that not the right process.

I'll probably go with Total Boats Wet Edge, but I do have concerns that it's intended for topsides and not for below the waterline application, but the boat will only be in the water for a a or two at most. If there are other products to consider, please let me know.

Also, what matches the original Boston Whaler white from the 1960's? Bright white or Off-White or some other color?

tahoewhaler

Postby tahoewhaler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm a little late replying, but I am just finishing up the exact process you are/were doing. I used WetEdge with great results. Just make sure the amine blush is thoroughly washed off with soap and water and apply really thin coats with ample dry time in between.

dg22

Postby dg22 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 pm

I would check with manufacture on how long you can leave the boat in the water with a top side paint on the bottom. From my experience, it is a few days. I have bottom paint on the bottom of my boat and top side paint (Interlux Brightside) from the waterline up but one time my bilge pump failed on me and we had a lot of rain that week when I was away. With the weight of the water, my boat lowered in the water and the top side paint was under for the week. When I got back up to the cottage, the top side paint had small bubbles in the paint.

Sailor536

Postby Sailor536 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:04 am

Tahoewhaler,

How did you apply the totalboat wet edge paint? With a sprayer or using a roll and tip method?

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 am

dg22 wrote:I would check with manufacture on how long you can leave the boat in the water with a top side paint on the bottom. From my experience, it is a few days. I have bottom paint on the bottom of my boat and top side paint (Interlux Brightside) from the waterline up but one time my bilge pump failed on me and we had a lot of rain that week when I was away. With the weight of the water, my boat lowered in the water and the top side paint was under for the week. When I got back up to the cottage, the top side paint had small bubbles in the paint.

Never is a big word; but the paint manufacturers specify these hullside paints incl urethanes for above water use. Nor do I find fault with their decisions.
A lot of patter on the net, on sales floors, and in person says it is ok to bend those specifications.
I have not read them all, but have not seen any printed instructions stating exceptions.

Thank you for sharing this experience and results.