Hull Cleaning

A conversation among Whalers
Clay

Hull Cleaning

Postby Clay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:47 pm

We have been keeping our boat in a slip on a lake and are getting some significant waterline stains as a result. Am wondering what hull cleaning products folks can recommend that will not harm the galvanized trailer. Thanks.

macfam

Re: Hull Cleaning

Postby macfam » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Try straight white vinegar or cut 50:50 with water

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

I recommend reading the owner's manual section on bottom paint. Boston Whaler hulls should not be left in the water for extended periods without some protection for the bottom. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tml#bottom

Todd

Postby Todd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am

I keep my 160 Dauntless on a trailer but sometimes boat in a local river that seems to stain the hull after only a few hours. I usually use standard boat soap (mixed with water per instructions) and a hull brush to clean it right after use but if I let it sit for more than a day I end up using hull cleaner. Hull cleaner works to remove the tougher stains but does take the wax off. My guess is the hull cleaner will work for you but agree with jimh that you may want to consider an appropriate bottom paint.

Tg196

Postby Tg196 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:00 pm

My 16 Dauntless stays on a mooring in Boston harbor, along with 12-15 other whalers. I just hauled my boat due to staining above the water line. The bottom is painted. I used a product called on/off hull cleaner, picked it up at west marine. Outstanding results. Easy to use and works with in seconds. It is however highly acidic, gloves and breathing precautions should be used and I'm not certain I would use the product while the boat is on a trailer. I followed with a wash and then waxed the hull. I'm not certain how to post pics but if you want to send me a pm with your email I can show you before and after. There is a product I've seen and heard about that is environmentally safe and is not acidic called Boyahh. I've had no experience with it, but can be seen on you tube or their web site.

rtk

Postby rtk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:31 am

On-Off hull cleaner does work exceptionally well on dark water stains but it will definitely damage the galvanizing on the trailer. It is acid based.

I have not found an alternative hull cleaner so I just take the boat off the trailer before use.

Rich

Clay

Postby Clay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks all. I am familiar wit the product On Off but couldn't use it without having the boat off the trailer...and don't know how I would do that. As for bottom paint, have never seen any on boats used in the lakes I'm on. In the ocean, for sure...used various kinds of antifouling pain on my past sailboats. But I'm really just looking for something to clean water stains, mostly a yellow brown film from the bottom without damaging the trailer. May try the white vinegar. Does anyone think that would damage a galvanized trailer?

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner for rust and lime in the black bottle It works reasonably well and doesn't remove the bottom paint like the on-off does. It's acid based, but not nearly as strong as the on-off.
I wet the trailer and keep the hose handy for any drips.
A lot cheaper and is available at your local grocery store too.

macfam

Postby macfam » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Vinegar should not bother the trailer. Extra precaution would be to wet trailer first, and rinse off when done.

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 am

I used this product several times (1995 OUTRAGE 21) and it is amazing to watch the hull stains disappear in minutes right before my eyes. The quoted text below is from the manufacturer (Davis):

DAVIS INSTRUMENTS
FSR Fiberglass Stain Remover

"Stain remover works with no rubbing required.
Unique gel formula chemically removes stains with no rubbing required. Just brush on to the affected area, wait a few minutes, and viola—the stain is gone! Ideal for removing oil, rust, exhaust, waterline and transom stains. It's non-abrasive and is safe to use on white painted surfaces as well as on gel-coat.
Key features
•Use where fiberglass stains crop up
•Removes road soil from trailered boats
•Requires no sanding or compounding
•Unique stain absorbing gel that removes oil, rust, exhaust, waterline and transom stains
•Non-abrasive quality that is safe to use on white painted surfaces as well as on gel-coat"
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:01 am

FSR works, BUT has the same caustic active ingredient, OXALIC ACID. I believe that the CLAY is trying to avoid using the really strong "wax removing" and galvanized trailer harming products. That's why I suggested white vinegar. It may, or may not, get the job done. If it works (and I have great results with white vinegar) then there's no need to go to the strong acid products. And it's CHEAP, so not much is wasted giving it a try.
For seagull droppings, fish blood, fish scales, food stains, greenish algae, and suntan lotion stains vinegar works great. When rinsed with water, no residual odor.

Clay

Postby Clay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks again. Great information, as always. Think I will try the white vinegar first then the Lysol. These stains are not major as this lake is pretty clean, but we are down in the channel near where the lake drains so do get some scum.

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm

If there is no oxidation, Collinite is a good cleaner for fiberglass, and Collinite 925 is a good wax. If your hull has oxidized, use 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound or 3M Finesse-It, depending on degree of oxidation. Use a polisher and compounding, buffing, or polishing pads, as appropriate, and you will get a like new finish. None of these products will harm your trailer. I have used all of these with very good results on classic Whalers.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

The caution against leaving a Boston Whaler boat hull in the water without proper protection is two-fold and is clearly explained in the owner's manual: prevention of absorption of water into the laminate and resin which causes osmotic blistering, and prevention of marine growth which foul the hull. The BARRIER COAT provides the protection against intrusion of water and the ANTI-FOULING COAT provides an inhibitor for marine growth.

It is common for Boston Whaler boats to be left in cold fresh water where there is little risk of marine growth, but the risk of intrusion of water into the gel coat and laminate layers remains. For this reason, a hull that will be immersed in water for extended periods should have a barrier coat, as recommended in the owner's manual. Boats that only see the water for a few days at a stretch can manage without a barrier coat, as they will dry out while on their trailer or hoist.

A week of navigating the Rideau Canal, a relatively still and slow flowing waterway, produced hull stains on my boat. I used a product called Mary Kate's hull cleaner, diluted somewhat, to aid in removing the stains. I sprayed the galvanized steel boat trailer with plenty of water to suppress the cleaner from working on the zinc galvanized layer atop the steel.

Generally it is my policy to immediately clean the hull at the water line after removing the boat from the water, as usually any sort of stain or discoloration will be easily removed with a bit of boat soap and very mild abrasion with a scrubby-sponge if needed. Once the stain is allowed to dry then removal becomes more difficult and use of some sort of chemical action in the cleaning agent may be necessary. Maintaining the hull with a good coat of wax will help prevent staining, making removal of any discoloration often just a matter of wiping off with a soft sponge and some soap.

Letting a Boston Whaler boat sit for years in freshwater, even in crystal clear and very cold fresh water, without any barrier coat is likely to increase the risk of water absorption into the gel coat and laminates and formation of osmotic blisters, although those outcomes are more likely in warmer water.

Clay

Postby Clay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

I appreciate the comments. My boat will likely sit in cooler fresh water for 5 months a years and sit on a trailer for 7 so I hadn't worried too much about blistering....but perhaps I should?

Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I used "The Works" (available at the Dollar Store). It has some nasty ingredients depending on which product you use. I don't remember offhand which one I got. It took the brown stain (salt water environment) right off. I did it while the boat was in the water and I'm pretty sure it took the wax off, too. Check what the stuff is made from and follow the listed precautions. That said, it works. No pun intended.