Trailer Set up for 21 Outrage with bow pulpit on steep ramp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
porthole

Trailer Set up for 21 Outrage with bow pulpit on steep ramp

Postby porthole » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:34 pm

The OUTRAGE 21 is the first trailer boat I have had with a bow pulpit. The bow puplit has added some difficulty to launch and recovery. The boat is a 1999 21 Outrage, and the trailer is a1999 Load-Rite bunk. My ramp access is a bit steep, and tides can be a problem. I am looking for ideas and suggestions.

On the first launch, I left the winch cable attached and used the winch to release the boat into the water. That turned out to be a little on the dangerous side. Had I not been prepared for the load on the winch it could have hurt. Other then a bit of a surprise, the launch wasn't too bad.

At the second launch I used a line from the bow cleat to the winch post with about four feet of slack (and no winch connected). That wasn't so smooth. It was hard to tell but I think the pulpit hung up on the V-block a little. Once it self released, the boat slid into the water, rather hard it seemed.

Best I can tell, with the boat near horizontal and floating, the trailer was on an angle so the bow was only resting on the front roller, the boat came off the front roller hard onto the 2nd roller, knocking it partially off the frame and dropping the hull onto the trailer crossmember. That resulted into a chip on the hull centerline. Easy enough repair below the water line, but I need to do something.

I am going to start by moving the winch bracket down. The location of the winch seems too high for this boat.

To readers have any ideas [to improve launching on] steep ramps? Maybe centering bunks or a differnet bow rest.

Or, perhaps a power winch with both power in and out feed?

The anchor was not in the bracket during the launch.

First and seconds rollers

Second roller

Chip

Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Jeff

Re: Trailer Set up for 21 Outrage with bow pulpit on steep ramp

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 am

With our 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive the custom trailer builder we had recommended to have a double winch post on these (ours) and the later (your) post classic Whalers. One serves as the bow stop, the other for the winch. He said it would provide a clear swing for the crank arm from hitting the pulpit and hull as well as let the hull free itself better with the lower pivot of the bow stop.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

Jeff

Re: Trailer - 21 Outrage with bow pulpit, steep ramp help

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:11 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 21966 times
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 am

My boat has a long bow pulpit. I have a keel roller very close to the winch stand. This roller is elevated quite a bit compared to the other keel rollers, and it bears agains the bow stem as it slopes downward toward the keel. It keeps the bow from dropping downward as the boat unloads, and that keeps the bow pulpit from hitting the winch post.

On PORTHOLE's trailer it looks like there is not a cross member on the trailer that would be close to the bow, so it might be difficult to install a keel roller there.

flymo

Postby flymo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 pm

However, it looks like the crossmember just bolts on, so you could get another one, mount it on top of the side rails, and put another keel roller on it. You could also gain a little ground by flipping the existing keel roller around to the forward side of the crossmember - but my inclination would be to first install a new, separate one. I know that you can buy all the Load Rite parts "a la carte" from various suppliers.

Tim

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm

After giving it a lot of thought, I don't think just adding a bow stop is going to make a difference. Unless, I add it like Jeff did in the 2nd post, with a second post for the winch.

With the boat on the trailer on a steep ramp, the highest bow support is going to be the support the boat rotates against as it hits the water.

So for now, something that is no cost to do; I fixed the roller that was knocked off the frame crossmember, moved the bow V-block bracket up on the winch platform, moved the winch platform down, moved the post rearward and cut about 5 1/2" off the top of the post.

I will most likely buy an electric winch with power in and out, that way I can control how fast the boat comes off the trailer.

Before and after.

Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:02 pm

I have the same hull with bow pulpit. It took me some time to learn the "sweet spot" to submerge the trailer at the ramp. That said probably last trailer boat I would order with pulpit. It does not even have an anchor windlass to remote activate making it less useful.

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm hoping cutting the post down a little over 5" and moving it back some will help. That and the addition of a power winch that will "power out" ought to help ease some of the drama during launch.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

porthole

Postby porthole » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 am

Got to try my trailer changes last night. Also tried a different ramp that was not as steep. But, due to the tide I still had a problem. Even after cutting the post down and lowering the hardware, the pulpit hung up on the post. Had some jet skiers that just recovered their skis offer to help some. That was a plus because my wife was afraid to do anything with the truck while I tried getting the pulpit free.

So the result was [silly expression deleted] repair to do on the hull, the center roller again shifted and this morning I ordered the Continental bow rest.

The electric winch worked as expected and I'm happy with that. The winch pulls the boat up a lot easier then I was able to with the old manual winch. Although when using the power extend, I started out with too much slack, which is where I think one of the the problems was last night.

Dutton Lainson TW9000

21 Outrage ramp recovery - youtube
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Sharkbait

Postby Sharkbait » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 am

Part of your problem lies in the fact that your trailer has bunks instead of rollers - IF you had rollers you wouldn't have to put the trailer into the water so far, so the boat would slide straight back into the water and there would be less of an angle between the boat and the trailer as it slid off and the pulpit wouldn't get close to the winch.

Here in the UK many new Whalers are supplied with roller trailers instead of bunks - our Outrage 210 sits on a trailer with 50 rollers which gives good support over the length of the hull.

It certainly seems like you need to add at least one more cross member and roller behind the front one to stop the hull dropping down as it slides off the trailer.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 am

The problem with launching this particular boat occurs without correlation to using bunks or rollers.

The problem occurs due to the following circumstances:

--as the boat begins to unload from the trailer on a downward sloping ramp, the stern of the boat become buoyant

--with the stern buoyant, some part of the keel in the forward half of the boat is resting on some roller or some part of the hull is resting on a bunk

--the upward buoyant force at the stern begins to rotate the hull, pitching the bow down, as the hull rotates around that point of contact with a roller or bunk

--if there is no roller or bunk or other stop to prevent this downward movement of the bow, the bow will be rotating downward until it become buoyant or it hits some obstruction on the trailer

--if the hull has a projecting bow pulpit and the trailer has a tall winch stand, the pulpit is forced downward and hangs on the winch stand post.

This is a common situation for boats with bow pulpits when trying to unload from a trailer on a ramp with a steep downward slope.

The remedy for this was described earlier: the trailer must have an additional cross member or other support added to prevent the forward part of the boat near the bow from being pushed down by the tendency of the hull to rotate and pitch down the bow.

ALSO: the situation may be helped if the most forward keel roller on the trailer were changed to a double keel roller. This will give more support to the bow during loading and unloading. You can see an example of how to mount double keel rollers to a trailer frame cross member in the photo below. Although the boat pictured does not have a large bow pulpit, it does have an overhanging anchor that could easily foul on the winch stand.

Note the dual keel rollers mounted to the cross members. Also note the forward keel roller
at an elevated height to provide support to the bow stem. This elevated roller prevents the
bow from pitching down during unloading, and it helps lift the bow during loading.

It looks like PORTHOLE has decided to employ a carpeted V-shaped bow rest to provide support to the bow stem and keel and to prevent it from being pushed downward. It appears that the carpeted V-shaped bow rest can be attached to the tongue extrusion, so no additional cross member will have to be added.

I might have tried a roller like this:

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 am

I have thought about adding rollers, but I don't think additional rollers will help, unless it is a roller trailer, which we all know is not recommended by Boston Whaler.
Although, I might be able to add one more bow roller to the forward most crossmember, will look into that as well. I'd rather spend another 50-100 dollars then do [silly expression deleted] hull repair.

The bow rest I will be adding is not so much for support. Instead it will be the forward bow stop, that should be low enough that the bow pulpit does not come near the stop.

Using the additional bow rest will allow me to move the winch post as far forward as possible, hopefully allowing the pulpit to drop clear while the boat rotates from nose high on the trailer to leveling off as it floats off.

I will be fixing the second roller again, as it shifted due to the hull having a less then graceful launch (along with another hull divot). The roller is currently is attached by two bolts, will be switching that to a proper U-bolt arrangement.

Something else I will also do. When I add the stop and reposition the winch post, I will make all my adjustments hooked up to the truck. I can see the trailer flex a bit between connected on unconnected. May as well set everything for the way it will be when launching: on the truck hitch.

My wife keeps telling to just order a new trailer like I have done with every other trailer we have had--boats, jet skis, motorcycle, RV, etc.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:27 pm

porthole wrote:I have thought about adding rollers, but I don't think additional rollers will help, unless it is a roller trailer...

No, the additional keel roller to keep the bow from being pushed down will always help. It does not matter what sort of trailer is being used.

porthole wrote:...we all know [a roller trailer] is not recommended by Boston Whaler.

No, it is only the floppy hull roller trailers that are not recommended. Keel rollers are recommended.

But that has nothing to do with the problem you are trying to fix. You just need some sort of support under the keel at the bow stem to keep it from being pushed downward when unloading by the buoyancy of the stern of the hull as it enters the water.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:31 pm

porthole wrote:I will be fixing the second roller again, as it shifted due to the hull having a less then graceful launch (along with another hull divot). The roller is currently is attached by two bolts, will be switching that to a proper U-bolt arrangement.

Just make those single keel rollers into double keel rollers. When you bolt them against each other across the trailer frame, they never come loose.

Are your trailer cross members square tubes? Or I-beams?

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

jimh wrote:
porthole wrote:I have thought about adding rollers, but I don't think additional rollers will help, unless it is a roller trailer...

No, the additional keel roller to keep the bow from being pushed down will always help. It does not matter what sort of trailer is being used.

porthole wrote:...we all know [a roller trailer] is not recommended by Boston Whaler.

No, it is only the floppy hull roller trailers that are not recommended. Keel rollers are recommended.

When I mention roller trailer, I am referring to the non bunk, all roller variety. Around here we do a lot with trailers and we refer to them as either bunk (with or without keel rollers) or a roller trailer.

jimh wrote:
porthole wrote:I will be fixing the second roller again, as it shifted due to the hull having a less then graceful launch (along with another hull divot). The roller is currently is attached by two bolts, will be switching that to a proper U-bolt arrangement.

Just make those single keel rollers into double keel rollers. When you bolt them against each other across the trailer frame, they never come loose.

Pictures coming. I have decided to double both the center and forward keel rollers, using the same 12" rollers. New 1/2" hardware as well as u-bolt plates.
The way the center rollers will be attached now it will be impossible for them to move, bend or break off maybe, but not slide.

The hull damage I believe is coming from the center roller sliding on the bolt/washer/nut assembly. Boat comes down a bit hard, the roller slides/drops and the hull kisses the cross member. At lease below the water line on a bottom painted hull the damage is a fairly easy fix.

jimh wrote: your trailer cross members square tubes? Or I-beams?

Square tubes.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:37 am

Here is a sketch illustrating the problem:

trailerLaunchSketch.png
trailerLaunchSketch.png (32.08 KiB) Viewed 19223 times

--(1) as the boat is immersed in the water, the stern gains buoyancy, lifting it off the trailer

--(2) the hull remains in contact with the trailer supports, but only at the forward end

--(3) the result is the hull rotates, pushing the bow downward

--(4) if there is no support to resist this movement, the bow comes down and the pulpit strikes the winch post.

This problem can be overcome by two approaches:

--don't back the trailer as deeply into the water; this reduces the buoyant force at the stern; with a bunk support trailer the hull may not want to slide off yet; experiment to find the optimum amount of immersion.

--add a roller or support close to the bow stem to keep if from dropping; an extra roller or support close to the bow will keep the bow from rotating downward.

porthole

Postby porthole » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm

jimh wrote:Here is a sketch illustrating the problem:

trailerLaunchSketch.png

This problem can be overcome by two approaches:

--don't back the trailer as deeply into the water; this reduces the buoyant force at the stern; with a bunk support trailer the hull may not want to slide off yet; experiment to find the optimum amount of immersion.

--add a roller or support close to the bow stem to keep if from dropping; an extra roller or support close to the bow will keep the bow from rotating downward.

Nice sketch, looks to be a cross between a Montauk and Accutrack hull

My forward roller is more forward then your sketch would indicate.
What is happening in my situation is as the stern floats off and the boat rotates as in your sketch, my pulpit is hanging up on the winch post (which I have cut down almost 6"). Not a hard hang, just enough to stop the launch. Unloading the pulpit then results in a 'rapid launch'. With the bow clear of the front roller it is coming down hard on the center roller. That roller only had two bolts for mounting. With insufficient friction holding the roller plate it moves down (or pops off the bolt head as it did last year). The hull then strikes the frame.

I added a second roller to the center and forward cross members, using existing u-bolts on the front rollers (with added u-bolt plates) and 4 - 1/2" bolts and plates on the center roller. Since the bolts are now over and under the crossmember there is no way for the roller plate to slide. If the hull comes down hard, the roller should bear the brunt of the impact now.

I added a bow stop and moved the winch post as far forward as I could, and raised the winch motor up. Previously the pull was a bit downward.

Center roller

Forward roller

Before and after, bow stop and winch post move

Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Your new set-up with tandem keel rollers looks much better than the original trailer rigging. You have made a big improvement. I like this view:

Another HINT: if you need to raise the keel rollers higher on a cross member than can be reached with the retaining bolts going over and under the cross member, drill a hole in the cross member for the lower bolts. Drill the hole in the cross member exactly on the vertical center of the cross member material. A hole drilled there causes the least weakening of the structure of the crossmember. When you have a hole in the vertical center of the cross member you can then raise the keel roller bracket a considerable height above the cross member.

Also: on your trailer the front crossmember is smaller than the others; you could move it so it rests on the top of the trailer frame instead of hanging below the frame. That might put the keel roller bracket in a good location.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Also: I really recommend finding the optimum amount of immersion for the stern. On my trailer I have two tall guide posts at the very aft end of the trailer. They are marked with some tape to indicate the preferred amount of immersion of the boat into the water when launching. At a ramp, I back in until those waterline marks are just at the waterline. Then I stop, get out of the truck, and move to the trailer winch to release the boat. The usual outcome is the boat wants to slide off the trailer bunks, and it lets itself off the trailer rather politely. If I immerse the trailer too deeply, I get a lot of downward pressure at the bow, and the boat may actually be harder to push off the trailer because some of the hull is being pressed onto the bunks.

When loading, I back in less; leaving my marks an inch or two above the water line. In this way when the boat comes onto the trailer is is not floating at the stern, rocking between the bunks. It tends to stay right on center. As I crank the boat onto the trailer, I may stop, go back to the truck, and back in another foot or so. This makes the cranking easier, but the stern is still not afloat.

My trailer set-up has three keel rollers: a tall single roller at the bow, and tandem keel rollers on the most forward main cross member. I will have to take some newer pictures of the trailer. All the ones I have are about five years old and don't show the latest improvements.

porthole

Postby porthole » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:11 pm

The center crossmember is already drilled, two bolts were the original attaching hardware.

Going out now to give it a test drive, and see about getting some dinner.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:59 pm

jimh wrote:...When loading, I back in less; leaving my marks an inch or two above the water line. In this way when the boat comes onto the trailer is is not floating at the stern, rocking between the bunks. It tends to stay right on center. As I crank the boat onto the trailer, I may stop, go back to the truck, and back in another foot or so. This makes the cranking easier, but the stern is still not afloat.

I have never heard such advise, but it makes good sense. Thanks jimh!

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:44 am

Another consideration for the set-up of a trailer with a Boston Whaler boat is the clearance between the trailer fender and the hull chines. The lower the hull can be set onto the trailer the better in all aspects. Lower boat height on the trailer leads to:

--lower center of gravity of the boat and trailer, which improves stability on the highway when towing;

--faster buoyancy of the hull as the trailer is immersed, which makes launching and loading easier if the ramp water depth is limited; and,

--easier entry into the boat cockpit when the boat is on the trailer.

The standard boat trailer has a maximum width of 102-inches or less, due to a need to comply with maximum width for highway travel without needing an over-wide permit. The trailer fenders typically project inboard at least six inches. This gives a maximum width at the fenders of not more than 90-inches or perhaps less. The result is most Boston Whaler boats of 18-feet length or more will have a beam that is wider than the space between the trailer fenders. The outcome these physical limits means the chine-line of the hull will have to sit atop the fenders.

The closer the hull chine-line can sit to the top of the fenders, the better the outcome (for the reasons mentioned above). A few years ago I re-worked my trailer set-up to lower the boat's position on the trailer by about 1.5-inch. This modification was done while the trailer was getting new fenders installed. The outcome was very good. The clearance of the chine line to the fender top is now about 1.25-inches, as illustrated in the image below:

trailerFenderChineClearance.jpg
The hull chine-line clears the trailer fender by 1.25-inches.
trailerFenderChineClearance.jpg (16.2 KiB) Viewed 19160 times

I have seen other Boston Whaler trailer set-ups with even less clearance. Don McIntyre's OUTRAGE 21 and trailer have the least clearance I have seen; only about 0.5-inch (or less) separates the hull chine line from the trailer's fender on that rig.

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Two launches last night (and the weather goons lied again).

First launch went rather smooth. Pulpit and anchor cleared the post with room to spare. Recovery went pretty quick as well, especially since I didn't get to move the trailer, couldn't get the boat started.

Primer bulb would get hard, then soft. Then I smelled gas, and saw gas leaking from the bowl.
Gave the plastic bowl on the filter a twist and it came off in my hand!

I carry a spare filter, but didn't have the filter wrench - so, back on the trailer and home to change the filter and clean up the gas.

Back to the ramp. This time I put the trailer in a little deeper to see how it affected the launch. Couldn't clear the winch with the anchor in the davit. Recovery went smooth, the electric winch is a very nice upgrade.

The video is from the first launch.

On the second launch I used a snap shackle and 10-foot line on the winch strap to bow eye to make removal a little easier. I'm going to improve on that. I'm thinking of using a short line from the bow eye to winch strap, just shorter then the distance between the eye and the winch while in transport position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AF4aIp_pBg

I'll be using Jim's suggestion as well, just barely floating the stern and see how it goes.

As to the weather and forecast, the river and basin was gorgeous. An out-going tide and SE breeze fetched up the inlet a bit, which is to be expected. But the light wind and one-foot-sea forecast was closer to a four to five-foot' short set that you couldn't see until you cleared the inlet.

No fishing tonight, and my wife was on board and not too pleased.

Coming back in I had to tell her just hang on and close your eyes :-)
There were a few six-foot very-close-set waves to ride in on.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Duane -

Looks like your getting the process dialed in. Good work.

Only suggestion I've got is when you plan on having her off the trailer for an hour or so, consider spraying the bunks liberally with silicone. About once a season, I spray and let dry. Made a huge improvement in launching and retrieving. So much so, that I altered my launch process. I used to unwind and unhook the winch strap, Idle down the ramp, splash the hull. After the first time I was launching, after application for some reason, I only unwound the spool two turns, then re-locked the winch handle. On the way down the ramp, I felt a slight movement and a thunk. Got to my normal launch depth and found that the hull had slid back to re-tension the winch strap. I could have had the hull sitting on the ramp.....

Regards - Don

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I have the same 21 foot hull with bow pulpit. I can certainly attest to your challenge, as I trailer the boat myself and my custom trailer set up very similar to your original. I did not have to make elaborate winch and roller modifications. What I discovered is finding the "sweet spot" for trailer immersion. I take a visual cue on the trailer tires, with the front axle tires just above the water line providing sufficient winch stand clearance to load/unload the boat. Done it both on steep ramps and shallow ramps. I actually find the shallow ramps more of a challenge to float the boat's weight off of the tandem bunks.

One modification I would like to make is add a power winch. What model/capacity power winch is that in the photos?

porthole

Postby porthole » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:51 am

Mambo Minnow wrote:What model/capacity power winch is that in the photos?

Dutton Lainson TW9000

I'm pleased with the winch, reviews I found when searching options were all good. Power in and out was a requirement.
The link above is higher then what I paid a few months ago. My cost at the time was $387 delivered.

Even if I didn't have the launch problems I think I would have added the winch. I had both shoulders and biceps 'repaired' last year, the shoulders just ain't what they used to be after tearing injuries
Also changed the jack to a 2,000-lbs-rating Fulton. It also works very nice and fairly easy compared to the original jack.

Fulton 1413230314 F2 Trailer Tongue Jack with Foot Plate
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:26 am

jimh wrote:...clearance of the chine line to the fender top is now about 1.25-inches...

[My trailer has] about the same clearance.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:28 am

Duane,

Just read my private messages. Thanks for the link to the electric winch. Dutton-Laimson is a great brand for winches and I did not realize they made an electric one! My brother-in-law bought me a electric winch rated for 2000 lbs at Harbor Freight. Free to me, so worth a try but I have concerns if it is enough to pull my boat up the trailer. The Dutton is rated to 9000 lbs, but I my Conquest is likely half that weight.

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Looking at your pictures I also noticed the bunks are rather short and small. I have 4 bunks, an "inner pair" up front and an "outer pair" further astern.
This configuration helps to center the trailer on recovery. The extra length also bears a great deal of the boats weight on the trailer. I have centerline keel rollers as well. In the picture with the front roller broken, I surmise that there is too much weight bearing down on a small center of gravity.