Evinrude E-TEC Fall 2017 Sales Event

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Evinrude E-TEC Fall 2017 Sales Event

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Evinrude has a sales promotion that provides a six-year warranty. The promotion is only in the USA, only for new engines (15-HP or more), and applies to purchases for recreational-only use made between August 25 and October 22, 2017 from an authorized and participating dealer. The buyer must take delivery and register the new engine within the promotion period. If he does, then the buyer will receive a six-year warranty that is subject to all normal exclusions, limitations of liabilities, and all other terms and conditions. The six year coverage will consists of three years of BRP Limited Warranty and three years of BRP Extended Service Terms [B.E.S.T.] coverage, subject to a $50 deductible on each repair.

Residents of Florida get a different deal; portable engines, and jet drive engines get different offers.

All rigging components purchased on the same bill of sale as the engine will be covered under the same BRP Extended Service Terms as the engine.

The approximate retail value of a three-year BRP Extended Service Terms coverage is based on number of HP and is up to $3,000 for a 300-HP engine.

sraab928

Re: Evinrude E-TEC Fall 2017 Sales Event

Postby sraab928 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:16 am

I did not remember previous extended warrantiess having an hour limitation to them. Is that new? My 2016 E-TEC 90 has the 6-year warranty, and I was not advised of that--unless it's buried in fine print.

In the current promotion Florida residents get a 6-year BRP limited warranty. The rest of the country gets 3-year BRP limited warranty and a 3-year B.E.S.T. contract. I wonder what the actual differences are?
Scott
1971 Boston Whaler Outrage 21 - under restoration
1974 Boston Whaler Revenge 21

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am

My guess: Florida must have some state law about outboard engine warranties. This causes the offer to be different for residents of Florida. I think they get a better deal.

SRAAB--What is the "hour limitation" in the coverage that you mention? I don't see the word "hour" explicitly mentioned.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 am

In Florida extended warranties for vehicles are considered insurance and cannot be sold at a discount. I assume the same applies to outboard engine warranties.

Many Floridians buy their extended warranties on-line from out of state dealers. For Mercury extended warranties David Wade Marine in Louisiana is often used.

Extended warranty prices can vary widely around the country and shopping around is a way to get significant savings.

BRP extended warranties may not be negotiable, particularly when embedded in an engine sale. It may be possible to get the warranty for an engine sold in Michigan from a dealer in Florida if the Florida warranty is superior. I would check that out before buying.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 am

The fine print says: "Benefit offered to Florida residents is a 6-year BRP Limited Warranty." From that I infer you have to reside in Florida to get that offer.

sraab928

Postby sraab928 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Jim its on the second line of the extended coverage section - I used the exact words they did - "hour limitation"

Hour Limitation 1000–1100

https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/ev ... s8_WEB.pdf
Scott

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:08 am

To clarify the warranty coverages, they can be described as follows:

--the original Evinrude Limited Warranty on the engine is for three years; there is no limitation on the amount of engine run-time hours; the word "hour" is not mentioned in the warranty;

--the E-TEC G2 engines are protected by a five-year warranty against corrosion damage.

--the extended contract called the B.E.S.T. contract will have a limitation on the coverage that includes engine hours. The B.E.S.T contract coverage expires at a certain number of years after the end of the original Evinrude Limited Warranty have been reached, or when the outboard engine running time hours reach a specified amount, typically 1,000-hours or 1,100-hours depending on the particular model and contract, whichever milestone (years or hours) occurs first.

Since there are three years of coverage in the B.E.S.T contract and three years in the Evinrude Limited Warranty, there would be six years of coverage, unless the engine run time exceeded 1,000 or 1,100-hours. Using the 1,000-hour figure, a boater would have to average more than 167-hours per year engine run-time for the six years in order to cause an earlier termination of the B.E.S.T contract coverage. Using the 1,100-hour figure, a boater would have to average 183-hours of engine run time per year to cause an early termination of the contract coverage. While it is certainly possible that a very avid recreational boater might be able to put 1,000 to 1,100-hours of run time on his outboard engine in less than six years, I suspect that the total number of buyers of a new E-TEC engine that could accomplish that sort of use is quite low. At my current rate of use, to get to 1,100-hours is going to take more than 20-years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 pm

SRAAB--thanks for the link to the actual document announcing the warranty. I could never find that on-line. It seemed like you had to request it be emailed to you. Here is a permanent link to the warranty offer:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... s8_WEB.pdf

The comparison chart showing all major brands and their outboard engine warranty offers is also interesting.

sraab928

Postby sraab928 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm

I agree it's going to be a rare boater who accumulates those hours but I did find it interesting that they saw the need to limit it. Even their comparison shows no known hour limitations for the other manufacturers. From a business standpoint It makes sense to me to limit it. A car extended warranty always seems to have mileage limits why shouldn't an outboard?
Scott

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 pm

By the way, when I bought my E-TEC there was no warranty promotion being offered--it was right in the middle of the boating season, in June. So I only got the basic Evinrude Limited Warranty. That was in 2009. Now, in 2017, any extended warranty or service contract would have expired. But there has not been a problem related to a defect in original manufacture (which is what a warranty covers), so I would not have needed or benefited from a long term warranty. (I just knocked on wood.) My E-TEC has run great.

When I bought it, I lamented to the dealer (LOCKEMAN'S BOAT AND HARDWARE in Detroit) about not getting in on a big warranty promotion. Dave--the owner--told me, "Don't worry, you have the LOCKEMAN'S warranty," meaning my new engine was in good hands with their technicians taking care of it and performing the routine maintenance, and I shouldn't expect any problems. That has been the outcome. Nine seasons of use and it still runs like new. And only about 470-hours of run time, or averaging 55-hours-per-year. So in my instance, a warranty with a 1,000-hour time limit on engine run-time would not have expired due to the engine exceeding that limit.