Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User

VHF Marine Band radios, protocol, radio communication theory, practical advice; AIS; DSC; MMSI; EPIRB.
jimh

Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:38 pm

For some time now the resetting of the maritime mobile service identity (MMSI) in a digital selective calling (DSC) radio by the end-user of the radio has been more or less impossible, and to perform a reset of a DSC radio's MMSI the owner typically had to ship the radio back to the manufacturer for him to perform the reset. This situation appears to have recently changed.

There is at least one manufacturer (Standard-Horizon) and one radio model (HX870 handheld DSC radio) in which the end user can perform the MMSI reset himself, with the "advice of the manufacturer" as is specified in FCC regulations adopted from ITU recommendations. This option appears to have been enabled by three elements:

--the radio has a user-interface with a graphical display which can inform the user of certain embedded parameters

--the radio has a user-interface that allows entry of text and numerical data by the user into the radio

--the radio contains some sort of processor and firmware to operate on coded keys that are unique to its embedded hardware identity

In the specific instance of the Standard-Horizon HX870 DSC handheld radio, the MMSI reset process works as follows:

--the radio must have a recent version of firmware; firmware version v2.03 or higher will allow the user to perform the rest of the procedure

--the user extracts from the radio's user interface a value for a key called the USER MMSI RESET CODE

--the user sends an email to the manufacturer's technical support with the following information: user's full name; radio serial number; present MMSI; new MMSI to be installed; and USER MMSI RESET CODE

--the manufacturer replies by providing the user with a PASSWORD key

--using the supplied PASSWORD key, the user can then change the MMSI to the new value

If the HX870 radio firmware is not at the required revision level, the user can obtain newer firmware from a link:

http://standardhorizon.com/downloadFile ... compressed

Instructions for the installation of the firmware into the HX870 radio are provided in a PDF document; see hyperlink below

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... 1702-B.pdf

The screen captures below illustrate the user interface screens that select the option, generate the MMSI reset code, and provide for password entry:

selectOption.jpg
selectOption.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 55236 times

requestCode.jpg
requestCode.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 55236 times

passwordInput.jpg
passwordInput.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 55236 times

While the procedure described above is specific to one manufacturer and one particular model, it is hoped that more manufacturers will adopt similar procedures for more DSC radios, permitting the end user of the radio to perform an MMSI reset procedure "with advice from the manufacturer" and without resorting to physically sending the radio to the manufacturer.

InVision

Re: Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User

Postby InVision » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

GREAT INFO. I have a HX870 in the ditch bag. Thanks.

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

KG7IL

Postby KG7IL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm

My recent upgrade of electronics left me with my old, but functional Icom M402A. I looked around to see how to reset the MMSI so I could use the radio with my smaller boat. Alas, I find out that they are locked. I'm still checking to see if the cloning software will work--don't know. I have cloning software for almost all of my 20 radios. I am surprised [alternative methods to reset the MMSI] hasn't been solved in the community yet.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Radio manufacturers are required to produce radios that conform to the specifications, which demand that the user cannot change the MMSI without "advice from the manufacturer." That is the FCC regulation, so it is not surprising that simple or well-known work-arounds have not been discovered.

If a manufacturer made a DSC radio that the user could easily and simply reset the MMSI, then the radio would likely be found to NOT be in compliance. As ICOM learned last year, making DSC radios that do not comply results in expensive fines from the FCC to the manufacturer. On that basis, I think the manufacturers are not making it easy or simple for users to reset a DSC radio's MMSI out of their own interests and in the spirit of compliance with regulations.

This thread announces that at least one manufacturer has a radio that the user can reset the MMSI in the field, but, as required in the regulations, the user needs advice from the manufacturer to perform the reset.

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 am

[I] can't change MMSI of [my HX870] radio because [it has firmware version] V1.13, and the updater only works with Windows OS. Our home is all Mac OS computers.
Last edited by InVision on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm

I feel your pain--only use MacOS here, too.

InVision

Postby InVision » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:00 am

Yea - Success! I was finally able to update to V2.03 using my iMac. Going to look into the change of the MMSI from our old boat we sold to the Nantucket 190.

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am

I got this response from Standard Horizon:
Hi M:
Glad you got the software working. The software you have is designed specifically for end users. The software necessary to remove the mmsi is only provided to dealers. You can contact your dealer to see if they are willing to part with it or provide the service for you. Unfortunately we are restricted from providing the software direct to a customer.

Best regards,

Still working this, will report back next week.--M

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Horizon sent me the reset code by email today and and radio is now set for my current boat MMSI. All works as it should as far as I can tell. Great info, Jim!

M
Last edited by InVision on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for confirming the procedure works as described. I think this method is very handy, and much less bother than sending a radio back to the manufacturer. I hope more radio manufacturers adopt a similar procedure to allow a customer to change the MMSI of their DSC radio when necessary.

InVision

Postby InVision » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:19 pm

The procedure worked even better than I though because it actually clears all MMSI info from radio. Very convenient if you were to sell radio used.

M

Boat Photos

skcanada

Postby skcanada » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 pm

InVision wrote:Yea - Success! I was finally able to update to V2.03 using my iMac. Going to look into the change of the MMSI from our old boat we sold to the Nantucket 190.

InVision, I only have Macs at home as well. Could you share how you were able to successfully update the firmware using your Mac?

I'm using a Macbook Pro running OS 10.11.6

Thanks

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I used VMWARE Fusion with a Windows 7 load. Easy to connect to USB and run the software that only runs in Windows.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Re: Reset of B&G V50 Radio

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 am

A method to reset the MMSI on a B&G VHF Marine Band Class-D DSC Model V50 radio was offered by an informed end-user on a public forum. He described the procedure succinctly:

Factory reset:

press X and scan

code 7100

and follow instructions

Not having this radio myself, I cannot verify or comment on the recommendation. Note that B&G is a NAVICO company, and the V50 radio looks very similar to the Lowrance LINK-8 radio. Perhaps they share a common procedure for reset. In order to branch any electronic device into a special mode of operation, you usually have to press a key combination when the device is powered off, then hold those keys down when the power is applied to the radio. I suspect that applies here.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:56 am

I am assuming that all users of DSC radios would be interested in learning of any method to reset the MMSI of their radio without having to send the radio back to the factory, so on that basis any information available about any radio can be posted here. If I learn of any other procedures for other radios, I will append to this thread.

victoria.os

Furuno FM-4721 MMSI change

Postby victoria.os » Sun May 05, 2019 9:10 am

How can the MMSI be changed [on a Furuno FM4721]?

I found a method for a Furuno FM-2721:

FURUNO FM 2721 Change of System Settings

1. Short-circuit between #10 and #22 of the port [REMOTE 2]. You have to look very closely, then you'll find the tiny numbers. Count (the female socket) starts at the upper line of pins (the longer one) on the right side.
  2. Turn on the power, and press [Setup] key, then Setup menu appears.
  3. Choose “System” by the cursor key, and press [Enter] key, then System menu, with “Protect” added, appears.
  4. Choose “Protect” by the cursor key, enter password: 652111, choose “OFF”, and press [Enter] key, then [Protect OFF] is set, and all items on system menu are allowed for setting now.
  5. Choose a setting item by the cursor key, and press [Enter] key, then setting values of the item appear. Choose a setting value by the cursor key and press [Enter] key. To enter a numeric value such as MMSI input, use numeric keys, and press [Enter] key.
  6. When setting is finished, turn off the power to recover normal operation.

As the connection plug for the handset is completely different on from the FM-4721, these instructions unfortunately can not be adapted to my knowledge.

Oliver

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 am

Many thanks for adding information about reseting the FURUNO FM-2721. Perhaps someone else will know the procedure for the FM-4721 model.

djahncke

Re: Reset of B&G V50 Radio

Postby djahncke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:56 pm

jimh wrote:A method to reset the MMSI on a B&G VHF Marine Band Class-D DSC Model V50 radio was offered by an informed end-user on a public forum. He described the procedure succinctly:

Factory reset:

press X and scan

code 7100

and follow instructions

Not having this radio myself, I cannot verify or comment on the recommendation. Note that B&G is a NAVICO company, and the V50 radio looks very similar to the Lowrance LINK-8 radio. Perhaps they share a common procedure for reset. In order to branch any electronic device into a special mode of operation, you usually have to press a key combination when the device is powered off, then hold those keys down when the power is applied to the radio. I suspect that applies here.

I can confirm that this procedure works on the Lowrance Link-8 radio. I just used it to successfully reset the MMSI number in my Link-8 and program it to my FCC assigned MMSI number from the old BoatUS number that it had. As Jim suggested:

• hold the Exit and Scan buttons while turning on the radio.
  • enter the code 7100
  • a reset menu appears that allows you to reset the MMSI or perform a reset to factory defaults.

I just did the MMSI reset option which reset the MMSI only. All my other setting were preserved.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 am

DON--thanks for the update and added information.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am

The new model GX1800 radios from Standard-Horizon permit the end user to change the MMSI without returning the radio to the factory service center. See details at

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4217

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:34 pm

The following procedure is reported to enable MMSI reset on a SIMRAD RS40 and perhaps some unspecified Lowrance radios

• Press and hold buttons DSC and 16/9 while powering on
  • When prompted for access code, enter 2137
  • Radio is reset back to factory initial configuration

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:56 pm

The following procedure has been suggested to reset the MMSI on a Lowrance LINK 9 radio; its action has not been confirmed, and its instructions are rather terse:

1. press together buttons MENU and 16/9
  2. at prompt, enter password 2137

I suspect that omitted from the procedure is that radio is in an OFF state, the buttons are held, and the radio is powered ON. A confirmation from any owner of a LINK 9 radio would be appreciated.