Price of Mooring Cover

A conversation among Whalers
thediscusthrower

Price of Mooring Cover

Postby thediscusthrower » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 pm

[This thread was started in MARKETPLACE. Please, NEVER start a thread in MARKETPLACE in which you solicit a discussion. MARKETPLACE is to be used ONLY for posting of notices of WANTED TO BUY or FOR SALE. This thread has been moved to THE GAM because it solicits a discussion--jimh]

[In 2016] I contacted Mills Canvas; they gave me a quote for a mooring cover for my 1995 Dauntless 15 of just under $1,000. Are Wm. J. Mills & Co. insane?

Or is this the going rate these days?

Bob

Todd

Re: Price of Mooring Cover

Postby Todd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello. Covers are getting a lot of attention today! See my prior post in the GAM section.

Yes the Mills option is a bit pricey but quality usually follows the price. I opted for the Carver cover as it was more middle to high end of the road price wise but seemed very good from a quality standpoint. Mine was still $641. The CoverQuest site offers some non Mills options and is a good place to compare what's available. See:

http://www.coverquest.com/products/boat ... =1994-1998

So you can go a lot cheaper if that fits your budget and need more appropriately.

Happy Whaling.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

Are we talking mooring or trailer and storage cover?

The Mills price probably includes all the snaps you must mount under the rub rail [if] not you can get Sunbrella type covers from iBoat in many colors or similar or lesser grade covers for reasonable prices.

I bought my cover from [iBoats] and the fit was good and five years later many highway miles and storage it is still in great shape. I compared grade thicknesses and based my buy on the most economical one which was slightly heavier than the Sunbrella brand but less expensive and seems to fit fine but is not a mooring cover although a DIY snap kit could make it one as the drawstring itself would not be sufficient.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TwyMhoRLizUCMGd43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pnVwhVwYiABPVe1Q2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/td25nANa1THUqSRI3
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

thediscusthrower

Re: Mooring Cover: Mills Canvas

Postby thediscusthrower » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 am

Both--I guess.

Whether it's in the water or on the trailer. In my case, while on the trailer. Here is what it looks like. Mine utilizes the stainless steel hooks mounted under the rub rail and uses bungee cords to hold it down.

http://www.millscanvas.com/Mrng%20cov%2 ... ic%20B.jpg

Bob

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm

14 years later, the Mills cover for my 160 Dauntless is still going strong. And I seem to recall that I paid a little under $1000 THEN, so this seems like the deal of the century.
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Carver provides the best fitted cover for the price in Sunbrella. Storage or trailer covers (the same thing) can be used for moorings with some minimum adaptation. I believe carver can provide some help for such an adaptation. If a cover is to be used exclusively for a moored boat a better option, though much more expensive, is to have a mooring cover made. It's not necessary to add unsightly snaps around the hull to install a mooring cover. A stout draw cord with a tensioning device will keep the cover on the boat. A fifteen foot Dauntless should not need poles to prevent pooling on the cover. The windshield grab bar will keep the center raised enough for water to run off. The boat movement in the water will ensure all the water drains off.
Butch

SandyGoss

Postby SandyGoss » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:18 am

Mills canvas is expensive but is superb quality. I bought the complete Flying Top, Winshield and Forward Shelter set when my 19 Outrage II was new in 1992 and they are still in excellent condition. I bought the Mills mooring cover at the same time and just replaced it in 2016.

thediscusthrower

Postby thediscusthrower » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:09 am

SandyGoss wrote:Mills canvas is expensive but is superb quality.

No doubt. My cover was original from 1995 and it lasted until 2015. Can't ask for more than that.

Bob

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am

thediscusthrower
Here is the cover for your boat model similar to what I bought for my boat. Sunbrella with a 10 year warranty, I halfway through and the cover still looks like new, keeps, water, dirt, and critters out. I'm very happy and could take the admiral out for 10 more dinners from the savings.
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Boston_Whaler/15_Dauntless_(1994-1998)_ENDURACover-10314/240500/?cart_id=792276089
In my pictures posted earlier, I show straps down to the trailer as that is how I trailer on the highway at 75 mph.
When I store for a extended time outdoors during the season I just use the draw string cord only which seems to hold the cover tight under the rub-rail and the towing eyes on the transom. Therefore that probably could be used as a mooring cover. These are 15ft boats with a high windshield/grab-bar that keeps water off.
Good luck with your decision.
EJO

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm

I just had a mooring cover made for my REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive boat by a local canvas shop. The cover is made from Sunbrella. It cost $1,100 and is worth every penny. If you want fine work and good materials, you have to pay for it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Dutchman wrote:I bought my cover from them...

Who is "them"?

In the immediate prior sentence you mention two different sources, Mills and iBoat.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

jimh wrote:Who is "them"?
"Them" is iBoats and sorry for the confusion but that's why I underlined iBoats and in my second response to the OP I gave a link for his Model boat from them.

[Nota Bene--do NOT use underlined text for emphasis. Underlined text represents a hyperlink. I remove all underlined text that is not a hyperlink. I inserted "iBoats" into the original post for better clarity--jimh]
EJO

Billjnh

Postby Billjnh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 am

I just purchased a mills cover for my 2016 Montauk 150. Have not installed it yet but the quality is outstanding. I plan to keep the boat for a long time and the mills was on sale at 10% off so ~$950 with mounting hooks and an extension rod. It also has sewn in tie down loops. Other covers are around 2/3 of that and shrink wrap is a couple hundred so I thought the price was fair given the quality, custom made to order, etc..