Outrage 18, E-TEC 150, REBEL propeller

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
turnbow2

Outrage 18, E-TEC 150, REBEL propeller

Postby turnbow2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I just bought a 1983 Outrage 18 with a 2009 E-TEC 150. It has a mangled VIPER 19p from the prior owner backing down in shallow water and hitting bottom. I saw that Jim had tried and liked the REBEL propeller

JIM: Did you try the 17-pitch Rebel? Do you have any stats like your WOT rpm achieved?

I am thinking the Rebel 17p would be the best replacement offering better bite, for towing and when loaded, and better cruising speeds. I am just unsure of what WOT rpm I can expect from a REBEL 17p.

I have only tested my new boat twice so far and achieved 5,400-RPM on the I-Command tachometer with a damaged propeller. The engine is mounted one-hole-up from the lowest position. I have an older EMM report that must have pulled when hooked to a computer that showed it had achieved 5,800-RPM.

I am leaning towards raising the engine all the way up and putting on a REBEL17 pitch.

I would love to see anyone's test data with an E-TEC 150 and REBEL 17 pitch combo.

Thank you--Dan

jimh

Re: Outrage 18, E-TEC 150, REBEL propeller

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 pm

DAN: to answer your questions to me:

--yes, I have tried a REBEL 17 pitch propeller on my boat with my engine

--yes, I have posted data about the results.

You should not consider that a REBEL 17 will always allow any E-TEC engine of any horsepower to reach the same engine speed as another E-TEC engine of a different horsepower. The engine speed will depend on the horsepower of the engine, and the boat and its weight and load. The performance results I obtained with my different boat and different engine are not directly transferrable to your boat and engine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 am

DAN--I recommend you DO NOT continue to run the boat and engine with a damaged propeller. The damaged propeller is probably no longer in balance. By operating the engine at high speeds with the damaged propeller, the unbalanced load is putting some stress onto the propeller shaft seals and bearings.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 am

Dan writes:

I am just unsure of what WOT rpm I can expect from a REBEL 17p.

Me, too. There is really no way to know precisely to what speed the engine will be able to accelerate at full throttle with a particular propeller on a particular boat with a particular weight on a particular day. You just have to try it.

Since your boat had been equipped with a 19-pitch propeller and there is some evidence that the engine could accelerate to 5,800-RPM, I would expect that if you change to a REBEL 17 the engine will be able to reach at least that same engine speed at full throttle.

You should aim for an engine speed at full throttle what is in the range recommended by the engine manufacturer. For E-TEC engines, see my lists of recommended engine speeds at

E-TEC Recommended Engine Speed Range
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... neRPM.html

The REBEL propeller is a good all-round propeller, and it gives excellent fuel economy at cruising speeds--the best MPG I have ever seen in testing about a dozen propellers on my boat.

Also, since you mention towing and heavy loads, moving down to 17-pitch will probably be a good match for you uses. But with any propeller choice, it is really best to get a BUY-TRY-RETURN arrangement with the seller, so that you can return a new propeller for one of a different pitch or model if your choice was not correct. Note that some Evinrude dealers participate in a propeller testing program. My local Evinrude dealer, LOCKEMAN'S HARDWARE and BOAT, is a participant. He has dozens of test propellers available and can loan them out for trials. Of course, you have to not damage the test propeller in your trial. But the Evinrude propeller test program is a great way to try several propellers at no cost to you.

turnbow2

Postby turnbow2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Thank you for the replies. I don't plan on running it with the bent prop but needed to op test it before I bought it and take it to a haul out to measure for ordering a trailer. I am heading up to my local dealer to see if they have a try-before-you-buy or exchange program. Since our season is basically over, I may not be able to test until next spring.

To clarify my numbers above, i had a full tank of fuel (~60 gallons), myself and 9-year old (~300lbs total) and the boat is a standard outrage with stern seat, 2 batteries under the console and no tops.

Appreciate the advice. It seems there is no data specifically for an Outrage 18 with an E-tec 150 with a Rebel 17 pitch. I am 99% sure that is what I will go with. I will try and get what data I can to share when available.

Whaler.jpg
Whaler.jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 4739 times

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:24 pm

If you do a search on the old forum you will see lots of threads.

Read Whlrman's comments in this thread:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007738.html
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003