2005 130 Seat Cushion and Steering Wheel

A conversation among Whalers
wheelman

2005 130 Seat Cushion and Steering Wheel

Postby wheelman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

I am new to this forum and bought my first Whaler. I have always wanted a Whaler, but never could decide. As an excuse, my daughters got their boating licenses and thought a 130 SPORT or 130 SUPER SPORT would be the perfect first boat for them to learn boating. It also helped that I really wanted one as well.

After looking for more than six months I found a gently-used 2005 130 SPORT with a 40-HP two-stroke--really wanted a four-stroke--engine being sold from an estate. The original owner bought it and used it a few times, and then got sick; the 130 SPORT has been sitting in storage for more than ten years. The boat and engine look like new. I replaced the water pump impeller and winterized the powerhead. I hope I am ready for the Spring.

The 130 SPORT did not come with seat cushions; so I ordered some from Specialty Marine. They seem to be good quality, but their color is off; they are more of an off-white with a yellow-beige tint instead of pure white. Am I better off:

--getting the OEM at nearly triple the price from my local dealer;
--doing without seat cushions; or
--keeping these and having the color off?

How does a Specialty Marine product's quality hold up?

This 130 SPORT came with the plastic-rubber wheel and would like to change it out for a stainless steel destroyer-type wheel. Was the original stainless wheel for this boat 13.5-inch or 15-inch diameter?

Do I need the control knob or just a regular wheel?

Any good resources for a wheel?

I will be mooring the 130 SPORT at our lake house and need a mooring cover--not trailering. What vendor is a good source for a good cover that is easy for kids to put on and off.

I am trying to get the 130 SPORT all set up so we can hit the water running this Spring.

jimh

Re: 2005 130 Seat Cushion and Steering Wheel

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am

WHEEL'--welcome to Boston Whaler boat ownership.

Keep the cushions. The OEM white cushions have had a bad reputation for changing color themselves. Read this recent discussion:

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2249&p=13156

Specialty Marine is probably not considered to be equal to OEM in quality on anything. They are not and never have been--as far as I know--an OEM supplier to Boston Whaler.

You can typically get a replacement steering wheel from aftermarket sources. The five-spoke or six-spoke Destroyer-type wheel used to be popular, but lately the three-spoke helm wheels seem to predominate. Verify that the 130 SPORT helm as the very common, almost universal, 3/4-inch tapered shaft before buying a replacement. Compare at:

Go2Marine Steering Wheels
http://www.go2marine.com/category/14743/boat-steering-wheels.html

The suicide knob for the steering wheel seems to be all the rage these days. That's up to you. Personally, with kids running the boat, I'd leave the suicide knob off the wheel for now. Actually, just leave the knob off permanently. You really NEVER need the knob when operating the boat with any speed; it just gets in the way. The only time you have to "spin" the wheel might be when docking, but, believe me, you don't need it on an outboard boat. You don't make lock-to-lock turns of the wheel when docking if you know what you are doing. I consider the knob fad just an affectation; it really serves no purpose. They might be useful on a 55-foot inboard sportfisherman trying to back down at high speed on a 500-lbs fish, but on a 13-foot open skiff, the knob is just window dressing.

GREAT LAKES CANVAS may be a decent vendor for a mooring cover.

DISCLAIMERS:
--I have OEM c.1992 Boston Whaler upholstered seats and cushions and they have no sign of discoloration.
--I have never bought anything from Specialty Marine.
--I have bought steering wheels made by Grant from Go2Marine.
--I have a mooring cover custom made by a local canvas shop for my REVENGE 22-W-T; it cost $1,100.
--Great Lakes Canvas was at one time or another, an OEM for Boston Whaler canvas.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am

Although you did not solicit any advice on the engine, I will offer this:

If the c.2007 on-deck fuel tank has a gray metallic-looking fuel hose, get rid of that hose. Replace it with a fuel hose and new primer bulb that uses black rubber-type hose. Get an OEM hose; the aftermarket hose and primer bulbs are generally not very good.

Todd

Postby Todd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

Hi there, you're a great Dad! Great choice of a a first boat, I'm sure your kids will have a blast and make many memories on the water.

There are numerous vendors for covers, a Google search and feedback from this group will help you. I bought mine from Carver after much research. They aren't the most expensive but I don't moor my boat so the cover is for travel and storage. The have a cover for a 13 Sport: https://dealerguide.carvercovers.com/mo ... ching=both They offer models with and without the bow rail. I would say any cover is going to take a bit of learning and technique to put it on in the water for the girls. It can be done but it's cumbersome.

My other thought is to make sure you add fuel preservative to your stored gas. I would also look for a fuel source that offers ethanol free gas, I've had serious problems with ethanol in my 2005 Merc 2 stroke. You might get feedback from this forum on other ideas for the winter lay up to help you avoid problems in the spring.

I think you'll find the folks here at continuousWave to be very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

wheelman

Postby wheelman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Please be aware that, what used to be called Great Lakes Canvas Co. is now Great lakes Boat Top Company and yes they are/were an OEM for canvas materials.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot