Windscreen

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Mattwarner

Windscreen

Postby Mattwarner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 am

I am looking for a windscreen for my 1979 Montauk, I bought the boat as a project and it was missing a screen, Being in the UK I don't have the option to order from UPD or Speciality marine as the postage costs are as much as the screen.

Has anyone made their own screen using polycarbonate, acrylic, lexan, or etc? I can source this locally for around £50 and have got a price from a company to make up a screen for me for £150. I am leaning on making my own but not sure how difficult this may be.

Binkster

Re: Windscreen

Postby Binkster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 am

Make a cardboard template using your existing console and have one made be some one who works with plastic. The height might not be accurate as to OEM just make it to suit yourself. Don't bend the cardboard, cut it and tape the bends with masking tape.
rich

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am

One other thing, allow for thick plastic washers behind the windscreen, and have the person making the windscreen drill the holes for you.
rich

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am

I've made my own windscreen. Not to difficult. Use masking tape on both side of where you will cut with a jig saw and then sand the edges. To make the bends lay a 3/4" metal pipe at the edge of a workbench, lay the plastic over it and heat it with a heat gun on high. When the plastic reaches the right temp it will lay over and bend. Use a framing square to assure 90 degrees, Then lay a wet rag on the bend to cool it. Tricky thing is to avoid bubbles in the bend from overheating. Practice using scraps.
rich

Mattwarner

Postby Mattwarner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

took the plunge and ordered the plastic (after watching numerous videos on youtube!), the size was cut to order so the only thing I will need to do is cut the angles for each side of the screen. My plan is to do the angle cuts when its flat and then build a box template of the console so I can clamp the front end and heat and bend around the corners.

Will update with some pics and progress wish me luck!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Rich's tip looks like a real smart way to proceed.
Butch

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am

If you bend the plastic over a sharp edge of a console mockup, it will not bend right. A wooden dowel will also work.
rich

Mattwarner

Postby Mattwarner » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks rich can I ask why it won't bend properly?