Boat Transport Recommendation

A conversation among Whalers
mcmahojo

Postby mcmahojo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

I need to transport my boat from Naples, FL to NJ. Any experiences or recommendations very much appreciated.

Phil T

Re: Boat Transport Recommendation

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

JPBoatworks LLC Marine Transport has gotten good reviews from several owners.

Jeff Pawlowski
(585) 880-8012
https://www.jpboatworks.com

Mike Borrelli of Metan Marine uses and recommends Dave Shank ‭(717) 818-5080‬
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 am

What are the specifications of your boat? Is it just the boat or boat and trailer?
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

mcmahojo

Postby mcmahojo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 am

I need to transport my boat from Naples, FL to NJ and could use a good recommendation or two. Thanks in advance.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:31 pm

I combined your duplicate post on the same topic as your original post. Please see the replies to your original post. Please do not post duplicate threads on exactly the same topic every few days.

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:19 pm

I’ve had good luck using U-ship app.

Todd

Postby Todd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am

Hello, I used UShip (http://www.uship.com/Boat/Transport) last year to move my 2003 160 Dauntless from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Lansing, Michigan. There were multiple carriers bidding on the move and each had several reviews about their service which helped to make a choice. They bid on the work so you get a competitive price as well. Three tips from my experience: First, make sure you have correct weights for the boat, motor, trailer, gas, and gear. When they picked up my boat it was 1,000 lbs heavier than the dealer told us. Ended up costing me quite a bit more than expected. Second, have the boat shrink wrapped to keep the gear in and the dirt out. Third, buy the insurance they offer, it's cheap and I found my boat insurance didn't cover this type of transport. Hope this helps! Todd

Jeff@JPBOATWORKS

Postby Jeff@JPBOATWORKS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Ridge Runner wrote:What are the specifications of your boat? Is it just the boat or boat and trailer?

Thanks for the referral Phil. I appreciate it. My website shows pictures of larger boats on a lowboy. I also have a tri-axle trailer for boats up to 37'. Jeff
Jeff
JPBOATWORKS LLC MARINE TRANSPORT
Email: jpboatworks@gmail.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/jpboatworksllc/
Rochester, NY * 585-880-8012

sam t

Hire Transport of 21-foot Boat and Trailer to Northern Michigan from Florida

Postby sam t » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Give recommendations for specific shippers [to hire to] transport a 21-foot Boston Whaler boat on a trailer to northern Michigan from Florida.

[I h]ave used [uShip] several times for cars but never for a boat. Advice welcome.

Todd

Re: Hire Transport of 21-foot Boat and Trailer to Northern Michigan from Florida

Postby Todd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 am

Hello,

There is a recent post on this topic in the GAM section from March 8th that may have some valuable insights for you. Here are my comments:

I used UShip (http://www.uship.com/Boat/Transport) last year to move my 2003 160 Dauntless from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Lansing, Michigan. There were multiple carriers bidding on the move and each had several reviews about their service which helped to make a choice. They bid on the work so you get a competitive price as well. Three tips from my experience: First, make sure you have correct weights for the boat, motor, trailer, gas, and gear. When they picked up my boat it was 1,000 lbs heavier than the dealer told us. Ended up costing me quite a bit more than expected. Second, have the boat shrink wrapped to keep the gear in and the dirt out. Third, buy the insurance they offer, it's cheap and I found my boat insurance didn't cover this type of transport. Hope this helps! Todd

jimh

Re: Hire Transport of 21-foot Boat and Trailer to Northern Michigan from Florida

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 am

Todd--great reply, and very informative. Also thanks for the pointer to a very recent discussion on the same topic. That is most useful. As the two threads discuss the same topic, I have merged them.

TW720HVY

Postby TW720HVY » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Todd wrote:Hello, I used UShip (http://www.uship.com/Boat/Transport) last year to move my 2003 160 Dauntless from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Lansing, Michigan. There were multiple carriers bidding on the move and each had several reviews about their service which helped to make a choice. They bid on the work so you get a competitive price as well. Three tips from my experience: First, make sure you have correct weights for the boat, motor, trailer, gas, and gear. When they picked up my boat it was 1,000 lbs heavier than the dealer told us. Ended up costing me quite a bit more than expected. Second, have the boat shrink wrapped to keep the gear in and the dirt out. Third, buy the insurance they offer, it's cheap and I found my boat insurance didn't cover this type of transport. Hope this helps! Todd

That's some good advice.

If it's your personal trailer, I would also highly recommend 2 spare tires and 2 loaded/packed spare hubs for the driver, this after you have a trailer shop go through everything.

You can never have enough spare trailer and axle parts...... don't ask me how I know.