Just Bought a 2018 170 MONTAUK

A conversation among Whalers
GWD

Just Bought a 2018 170 MONTAUK

Postby GWD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Just purchased a 2018 Montauk 170 at a boat show. The dealer advised the 90 HP for normal use, the 115 HP for heavy loads and pulling skiers. Since I will be mostly fishing with my wife, I went with the 90 HP. But the choice can be changed since the boat is on order.

Give me youropinions about my choice of the 90-HP engine.

The $1000 difference is not a big factor. Nor is thehe fuel use is a factor given the new larger fuel tank. I need trolling efficiency rather than raw power.

This 2018 170 MONTAUK boat is a big upgrade for me coming from a 30 year old 14-foot Livingston that was called the "poor man's Boston Whaler" back when I bought it new with a 25 HP Johnson.

Phil T

Re: Just Bought a 2018 170 MONTAUK

Postby Phil T » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 pm

GWD--congratulations, you must be excited.

The 2002 to 2017 170 Montauk has a maximum power of 90-HP. You can see the performance report here:

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/170-Montauk-Performance-2016.pdf

Note the boat has practically no gear, only two small people on very warm days.

The 2018 170 Montauk 170 approximately 300-lbs heavier, 40inche longer, 5-inches wider.

The 2018 170 Montauk Performance Report is here:
http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/170_MONTAUK_2018_PERFORMANCE.pdf

In summary, when lightly loaded with two people, 25-gallons of gaoline, and an anchor, the 115-HP engine motor produces an increase in top speed of 6-MPH in idilic conditions.

Adding bottom paint reduces maximum boat speed by two to three MPH.

Boston Whaler tends to be conservative on the maximum horsepower ratings, for example see the Montauk 150, Montauk 170 .

Give consideration to being on the ocean or lake with a bit of a sea. Factor in an ocean current, mild breeze, add two adults, a dog or a child or two. Add weight of boat gear, required safety equipment, ice chest for food, fishing supplies, bait and changes of clothes.

Run the numbers and see if [the possibility of greater boat speed] is worth the cost in your situation.

Personally, I would strongly consider the 115-HP for the five-percent of the time when you need it. I have been in a few situations with my boat when I had a decent load and was running very hard to get out of a rapidly deteriorating situation as quickly as possible.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

GWD

Postby GWD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you for the detailed and rapid response. Very informative post to help guide my thoughts.

Coming from a 14-foot fishing boat that makes 22-MPH at best, the 40-MPH number is eye popping. My wife thought the old boat was too fast. Don't know what she'll think of this new screamer. And at 46-MPH she would likely never go out again.

My wife and I are not seafarers. She absolutely refuses to go to the Farallon Islands outside of San Francisco Bay even if in a 60-foot cabin cruiser. So we mostly lake fish and sometimes go to anchor in the SF Bay and Delta. Additionally, every trip is in bluebird weather.

Since we are somewhat old folks (70's) and retired, we are not in a hurry. After looking at the engine numbers, we will stick with the 90-HP and likely be impressed at the performance as is.

Your motor recommendation is very valid for folks that might go out in questionable conditions but we try to avoid any chance of dangerous weather.

Once again, thank you very much for the time and effort to create such an in-depth response.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 pm

GWD--there is a difference in going 100-MPH in a Bentley and 100-MPH in a Yugo. I'll bet she won't know your going 25-MPH or even 30-MPH in the 170. [Ability to put on extra speed] is great safety to have when you need to go faster.

I assume your 14-foot boat had a two-stroke-power-cycle engine, which was loud. These new Mercury FOURSTROKE outboards run much quieter, making you think you go slower.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

GWD

Postby GWD » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Dutchman:
Thank you for the advice.

I'm hoping to see just what you point out. The 170 just has to be smoother over wakes and rough water. The new Merc should be a lot quieter than the old 25 HP Johnson 2-stroke. Even at idle it made lots of noise. That is one reason we went to a MinnKota 55 for trolling on the old boat.

Of course, a tiller electric trolling motor simply won't work well on the 170 so it would be nice if the Merc is very quiet at trolling speed. Plus, the improved control in the wind and current provided by a gas motor over an electric will be welcome. My 14' Livingston has a high profile freeboard that was easily put off course by wind.

Another factor that was considered is that there are two seats at the center steering console and her sitting behind the windshield should lower the perception of speed as well. Never having owned a center console boat, only time will tell about this effect.

Apparently the demand for this model is quite high. Mine is being factory built and marked as "sold" according to the dealer. Nothing is really special except the split front rail. Anyway, the dealer expects delivery at the end of May...chomping at the bit.

I don't HAVE my wife do anything. I ask. You are married aren't you? :)

GWD

Re: 2018 170 MONTAUK

Postby GWD » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 am

My 2018 Montauk 170 finally arrived after a four-month wait. Since there were build items that were attractive the wait was worth the four months.

The dealer took three weeks to rig it as we wanted:

—Raymarine Axiom 9 MFD
—MinnKota Ulterra iPilot and Heading Sensor
—two Cannon Magnum 10 STX downriggers
—three batteries and special independent charger and circuit breakers for each.

Total price was $50,000.

I've had the 2018 170 MONTAUK on the water only once after the mandatory Whaler training session. It was a windy day on a large local lake so small whitecaps were the norm in an on and off 10 knot wind. My experience:

The Mercury 90 is plenty fast for me after my 14' Livingstone and Johnson 25-HP—almost double the top speed. I can't keep a hat on, and it is doubtful that I'd ever need to run from weather. The ride is very smooth and quiet at any speed with whitecaps and over wakes. Got boat speed to near 40-MPH. Hydraulic steering is nice but I tend to over-correct due to inexperience. Still working on proper trimming. Engine starting was immediate.

I didn't like the distortion of the plexiglass windscreen. Standing while underway at speed is much safer for spotting other boats and possible swimmers.

Being able to move around the stable boat is a luxury. There are many hand-holds with the tall rails. The wider beam certainly is noticeable for the extra room. The rear seats are expensive but worth it, as is the seat cooler in the fishing package. The bow cushions give comfortable stretch-out room. With the Bimini top it is easy to find shade somewhere on the boat as the trolling path changes. Very early morning is the only time the sun hits everywhere but it is usually a cool time of day then and the sun is less intense.

I'm fairly tall at 6-feet 2-inches, and I haven't mastered getting on and off by stepping through the Bimini support struts. Kind of a stumble-bum experience. I'll practice stepping over the rails next time out, and maybe wear a swimsuit as well just in case. Besides, then the swimming platform can be tried ou; we didn't get to testing it yet.

The Bimini top is easy to deploy and fold up. The zippered cover allows the top to remain vertical while towing. No flapping was noticed at 60 mph.

The Raymarine sonar and chart is complex with extensive settings. It has taken much time to dial in and get it set up for my uses. Well, "get it closer" is probably a better description. The manual must have been read ten times - there is a "basic" manual and an "advanced" manual. YouTube videos have not been much help nor have the Raymarine site videos. There seems to be no fish beeps or fish visuals as on my old Humminbird finders.

The MinnKota Ulterra trolling motor is a pure joy. It takes you where you want to go at the speed you want to travel. Auto Pilot maintains whatever heading and Cruise Control holds the speed. In the wind the motor is constantly correcting itself from the bow mount as I sit back, watch, and smile. With the Livingston it was a constant struggle to maintain a heading and much correcting was needed from the stern mount especially in the wind or current. Then, with a fish on, it was "fight, correct, fight, correct, etc., etc." On the next trip we will give the iTrack a try. It records a route and the motor can be directed to repeat the route with no user input once set. It can store 16 routes. And the Auto Deploy and Auto Store are amazing as well. Unfortunately, one has to actually manually turn the power on and off. Oh, the injustice: a button has to be pushed! The 24 Volt battery configuration was down to 23.9 Volts after three hours of trolling—started at about 24.8V.

The powered Cannon downriggers did not get much use since we were doing sea trials, but they were mounted and tried out for functioning. I fooled around with the Auto Stop function and used a split ring to attach the weight to the cable since I didn't have heavy clips along on this trip. Well, the split ring was too weak and stretched open dropping the 10-lbs weight with flashers to the bottom. A replacement weight arrived today - $50. Ouch.

All in all, we are very pleased with the 170 Montauk. Total control of all of the functions and equipment has not been mastered yet. Next trip should educate us some more.