2004 190 Nantucket Re-power with Evinrude E-TEC G2

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
InVision

2004 190 Nantucket Re-power with Evinrude E-TEC G2

Postby InVision » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Unfortunately we have run into a inherence. I would give up everything to have my parents back, but that is not possible.

We really like our 2004 Nantucket, but the Mercury OptiMax 150-HP engine is obnoxious. Our plan is to put on trim tabs and a great, quiet, 150-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine. Cost is not a concern. Please chime in with your pick under these circumstances.

Thank You

M
Last edited by InVision on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

jimh

Re: 2004 Nantucket Re-power

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Four-stroke-power-cycle 150-HP outboard engines are made by Honda, Mercury, Suzuki, and Yamaha. They are all good brands.

My general advice: pick the engine brand and model based on the dealer. Buy from a dealer you feel comfortable doing business with, that you think is going to be able to furnish good after-sale support, provide good service and warranty work, and is not hundreds of miles away.

Because the boat was already rigged for Mercury engines, there could be some possible cost savings and possible re-use of existing rigging and engine instrumentation. But since that rigging is probably from 2004, it is already 14-years old, and perhaps you'd want to update it, even if you bought another Mercury.

Since you are accustomed to the noise signature of the OptiMax--probably the loudest outboard around--just about any modern engine will sound much quieter and smoother to you, and I would not dwell on buying an engine because somewhere someone rated it a decibel or two quieter than another brand or model. Really rigorous and directly comparable tests of sound levels on boats produced by outboard engines are almost non-existent.

jimh

Re: 2004 190 Nantucket Re-power

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Since 2004 there have been some big changes in outboard engines. Here are some features now available on outboard engines that might be interesting to consider:

--integrated power steering entirely in the engine mount itself; external boost pumps necessary on some models (but integral on E-TEC G2 engines); variable boost control selectable at helm; much like modern automobiles with power steering;

--significantly improved exhaust emission ratings, simultaneously provided with improved fuel economy; at first this might seem impossible, but the more cleanly the fuel is burned in the combustion chamber and the less unburned fuel residue in the exhaust, the more power produced and the less emission gases produced; lowest emission and best fuel economy is no longer the exclusive realm of the four-stroke-power-cycle engine (and best case is found on E-TEC G2 engines, but they aren't four-stroke-power-cycle)

--integrated electrically operated gear case shift with no mechanical linkage to the gear case (found on E-TEC G2 engines, but they aren't four-stroke-power-cycle); or electrically operated remote controls with mechanical operation of conventional gear case shifters;

--electronic remote shift and throttle controls providing extremely smooth and precise control; particularly compared to some brands' mechanical controls that tended to be stiff and hard to use;

--modern electronic instrumentation systems based on NMEA-2000 networking; available on all engines except Mercury; Mercury uses a proprietary network system called SmartCraft; I prefer the open NMEA-2000 approach, as there are more options for choice of multi-function display integration with the engine data;

--automatic engine fogging for winter storage performed by the engine itself (found on E-TEC G2 engines, but they aren't four-stroke-power-cycle);

Dig into what is available now on modern engines. I think you will find a lot of new features are out there.

If you want a new engine that is just a very simple engine, no particularly modern features, just very simple, old-style but well done engineering, they are out there, too.

I re-powered in 2009 with a modern engine. I have electronic shift and throttle controls, and I love them. I have NMEA-2000 instrumentation--great stuff. I have automatic winterization; wonderful feature for a northern boater like me. Engine noise signature is better than previously engine; engine fuel economy is significantly better. Engine exhaust emission is THREE-STAR CARB, European Union approved, EPA approved.

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Hmm...

Does the jest of that mean you recommend E-TEC G2.

Thanks

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm

No--I recommend buying from the dealer that you like the best. You and the dealer will be married for a while, as all engines need some service to maintain their warranty protection, to meet the service schedule, to repair things that come apart. The dealer is the key factor for me.

Brand popularity is very affected by region and dealer. You go to some places and find the market is dominated by one brand, and usually the reason is that brand has the best dealers.

I suggest you visit a few dealers that sell different brands. Check out their business. How long have they been selling the engine brand? Do they do mostly new boat sales? Or do they do a lot of sales for re-power? Are they completely certified and trained on the engine model?

The biggest influence in my decision was the dealer. Here is the story on my dealer:

--same location for over 90-years
--selling same brand for over 90-years
--service department has fully trained, top-level, factory certified mechanics
--sells the engine on both new boats and re-powers, and does big business in re-powers
--family owned, family run business, with owners there working directly with customers
--dealership has highest level relationship with engine manufacturer for sales, service, and warranty repairs
--dealership is conveniently located near launch ramp so on-water testing is easy and routine for them
--dealership works service by appointment and usually has one-day turnaround for routine work
--dealership has friendly staff, very easy to work with, very accomodating

I was sold on the dealership. The engine brand came with it.

Harpoon

Postby Harpoon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 pm

I agree with Jim. I purchased a Suzuki 150 to repower my 1998 18 Dauntless. Great motor, weight similar to the weight of the 135 Optimax plus the oil reservoir that I replaced. Went with Suzuki due to reputation and my local boat mechanic being a Suzuki dealer. Very quiet, no problems, about 230 hours so far.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Dealer reputation, service level and engine features.

I would get detailed quotes, including rigging, gauges, prop to really understand what the differences are.

If you live in the snow belt, consider the E-TEC for the self-winterization feature.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Yamaha F150 [is] one of best motors ever made.

I was sold on Yamaha engines about 20 years ago in the Amazon jungles. All tour guides boats had Yamaha engines. [I have] never had a single problem with any [Yamaha engine] I have owned.

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks vze2gbs4. I also loved my Yamaha 300 I had on our 2015 center console. The best dealer in the area is the Yamaha dealer. I am thinking a white motor would look great and new controls would be very nice.

Much has happened in the last two weeks. Both my parents passed and left me a sizable inherence.

Later this year the decision between - and purchasing new becomes the question. I love the 2004 Nantucket but I am thinking how nice a new boat would be. Decisions. Decisions.

M

Boat Photos

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:25 am

Sorry for your loss. My parents also passed within two weeks 2 years ago so I know how you feel.Theres no question new boat that was never touched by anybody but you is always attractive option.But sticker price of 70 K for 190 Outrage or any new Boston Whaler or any other manufacturer nowdays is a bit outrageous . I would say repowering with 150 Yamaha should be under 20 K with labor and all. But if your lift can take bigger boat I would upgrade to something in 21-22 feet range .

InVision

Postby InVision » Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 am

Thank you. 8000 lb lift. Previously had a 25 ft 9 ft beam center console on lift without problems. A new lift is not out of the question either. Bunch to think about...

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am

Bigger boats can be alluring. But with bigger boats come:
  • more systems to maintain, service, and repair
  • more fuel to buy
  • more assistance need in launching, docking, trailering
  • a general greater inertia to actually get the boat ready and get underway
  • more related expenses for taxes, registration, insurance, storage
  • possibility of actually less resultant pleasure and enjoyment

My present boat has very simple systems: there are two batteries, two pumps, no 120-VAC system, no holding tanks, one engine, one oil tank, one fuel tank.

ASIDE: your link to photos shows some excellent photography and many nice views. If I had that boat lift in front of my house, I'd get a bigger boat!

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue May 08, 2018 12:15 pm

FWIW - Henry aka Yiddil, repowered his 04 ish Nantucket with an E-TEC 150 several years ago.

Here is a good thread with input from several Nantucket owners, and the prop guru.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007145.html

Wow, seems like just yesterday I was posting on that thread.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Did some research and found that the ETEC G2 has the upper hand. This caught me by surprise. The 8 year warranty is by far the best. Trying to determine the cost which is $14883.00 for all new controls and installation is a good deal. The trade-in for the Optimax 150 is $2800-$3200.

Going to take a test ride today in an hour to hear and feel the ETEC G2. Kind of like the looks of the white G1 better but like electronic shift and throttle remote controls.

Does anyone know if the Smartcraft console works with the E-TEC? I am guessing no, but thought I would ask.

Thanks

M

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Without a breakdown showing what each element is, I don't think members will be able to compare apples to apples.

How much for:
Engine
binnacle?
What gauges, how much each
Networking cables, bus etc
Steering helm (*)
Installation
Prop
Sales Tax

* Is the integrated hydraulic steering included
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Phil T wrote:Without a breakdown showing what each element is, I don't think members will be able to compare apples to apples.

How much for:
Engine
binnacle?
What gauges, how much each
Networking cables, bus etc
Steering helm (*)
Installation
Prop
Sales Tax

* Is the integrated hydraulic steering included

I have not got a detailed quote yet just an estimate. Going to take boat down next week. They are also quoting on 9"x9" Trim Tabs with installation $1000. The estimate for "SINGLE ENGINE BINNACLE CONTROL" and the "ICON TOUCH 4.3 CTS" is $1600. The labor estimate to take off Optimax and install new is $500. The new engine estimate is $12700.00. No mention of network and the prop will be determined later. The steering will be the same Sea Star that I just rebuilt with new seals and such.

M

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:26 pm

As some members know, I get a bit wound up on dealers paperwork when it comes to quotes. Apologies for the rant.

Simply put, when spending big bucks for something, I think it is prudent for the dealer and the customer to list on a piece of paper every individual item (part #) and the price for that item.

Listing each item ensures the customer is getting the right parts and the dealer is selling the correct items. When one goes to a car shop for repair, they list the parts and the price for each. Why is that so hard?

I also get 2 or more quotes. I know it is not easy. When buying a trailer I had to contact 7 dealers to get 3 decent detailed quotes.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:38 pm

No Worries. Actually the dealership is the only one within 90 miles I would work with anyway. Had other problems with others. Been a customer of this dealership since 1978. Really just was hoping to get an idea what other members paid to re-power.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:32 pm

InVision wrote:...[do Smartcraft gauges] work with the E-TEC?

No, Smartcraft will not work with an E-TEC. Smartcraft is a proprietary protocol used only with Mercury engines. The E-TEC uses the more common and more open standard, NMEA-2000.

The instrumentation options for an E-TEC G2 will be:

--the ICON Pro Series, dial pointer plus LCD displays, very similar to the Smartcraft SC1000 display
--the ICON Touch Series, color touch displays, in 7-inch and 4.3-inch
--the ICON 3.5-inch color display, non-touch, only for single engine installations

For more about the ICON Pro Series, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... auges.html

For more about the ICON Touch and ICON Color displays, see

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2762

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 am

Thank you Jim. The one quoted is the ICON 4.3 color touch screen (CTS) display. I am hoping it can be installed where the two Smartcraft round instruments are mounted.

Will the SmartCraft instruments be useful to sell?

Also now looking to add a Garmin chartplotter to replace the original Furuno, and a Garmin GNSS receiver, and have it networked to the Evinrude ICON 4.3 CTS. The one I tested was very nice as the engine functions displayed on the 10-inch screen.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 am

When an Evinrude E-TEC G2 engine is installed there also will be two networks installed. One is called the private network and is used exclusively for the E-TEC G2 ICON II EST (electronic shift and throttle) controls. The second network is called the public network and is a NMEA-2000 network using the standard DeviceNET Micro connectors. The instrumentation for the engine connects to the public network. The public network will also be, typically, the boat's NMEA-2000 network, as well, and to it you will connect all your boat's NMEA-2000 devices, like a multi-function display, a GNSS receiver, other sensors, and so on.

The ICON II EST controls use the private network, but can use the public network if the private network fails.

I expect that your Smartcraft display devices will retain value and could easily be sold. So could any rigging or wiring or connectors associated with the displays and the rigging for the Smartcraft network.

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks Jim. Great explanation of the two networks. That help me a bunch.

M

Boat Photos

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 am

InVision wrote:Wonder if the SmartCraft instruments be useful to sell?

M--if there are part numbers on the SmartCraft instruments and you can get them to me, for me to determine if I can use them, I might be interested if the price is right.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

I will list in the for sale section per forum rules. It will probably be a few weeks before they remove all the Smartcraft harness and the Optimax.

Back to the re-power. The E-TEC G2 150-HP they quoted uses my SeaStar Hydraulic Steering. I was reading that one of the options is to get the built-in steering" called iSteer. Has anyone ever used it? Impressions?

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:55 am

Generally the E-TEC G2 engines have internal steering actuators built into their engine mounting, and they do not use an external actuator at all. The steering is hydraulic, and the lines from the hydraulic helm pump are connected to the internal steering actuator. This is called INTEGRATED steering.

There is also an option for variable rate power-assisted steering--actually I think it is mostly standard on the higher-horsepower engines; the power steering is an upgrade that costs about $1,000. The boost pump is also internal, so there is nothing different about the rigging; the helm pump just connects to the hydraulic steering lines on the engine mount. The boost pump is electric and the amount of boost is dynamic, depending on various parameters. This dynamic power-boost steering was initially called DPS and is now called iSTEER or iSteer.

Some of E-TEC G2 2.7-liter engines use a new mid-section and engine mount, called the TRAC+ (pronounced "track plus"). For more information see my earlier article about the TRAC+.

Certain 150-HP and 150 H.O.models are available without the INTEGRATED steering, and use what Evinrude calls REMOTE steering, which is just the normal old-fashioned external hydraulic steering people have been using for decades. Getting an engine with REMOTE steering saves weight (about 23-lbs) and money (I don't know the exact figure). These engines have the TRAC+ mount and midsection.

In summary: three steering options, but not all options on all models:

--REMOTE, the conventional hydraulic steering, not part of the engine, with the TRAC+ mount
--INTEGRATED, hydraulic steering actuator is integrated into a different engine mount, with the G2 style mount; also called IHS
--Dynamic Power Steering or DPS or iSTEER, an upgrade of the INTEGRATED or IHS steering to have an integral electric pump boost the steering

For more details, see my earlier article about the E-TEC G2 2.7-liter engines.

There is a fourth steering option, but only for multiple engine installations, called iDOCK. iDOCK allows independent control of engine steering, throttle, and shift with two, three, or four engines, through a joystick controller. More information can be found in an earlier series of articles I wrote about iDOCK.

I have used the dynamic power steering or DPS and now called iSTEER on two boats with E-TEC G2 V6 74-degree 3.4-liter engines. iSTEER is a nice addition, and I am sure I could soon learn to not be able to do without iSTEER.

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks again Sir Jim !! The info you provide is amazing.

So where does one find the MSRP prices for ETEC G2 outboards and accessories.

I also read that during re-power that the ETEC motor should be mounted in the 2nd transom hole. This is a standard 25" motor, not a 20" correct?

M

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the verification Phil.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm

There is nothing particularly intrinsic to an E-TEC about its engine height mounting. There is a general notion that is widely held that most Boston Whaler boats will give better performance if the engine mounting height is adjusted to be one-hole-up from the lowest possible mounting position. We discuss engine mounting height only in terms of the number of units of 0.75-inch the engine is raised above the lowest position. The unit of 0.75-inch is also the spacing of the mounting holes, so this unit is called a "hole." The usual engine mounting for a Boston Whaler is one-hole-up.

As for a authoritative list of official MSRP prices, I can't help. The engines are almost always sold at a markdown from MSRP. There are other incentives and offers in effect at various times. There are rigging credit bundle offers, sometimes worth several thousand dollars. There are time-of-year factors like boat-show promotions. Outboard engines are like airline passenger seats on a flight--no two people paid the same price.

When I bought my E-TEC, the dealer did not have the engine in stock. As I recall, we made the deal on a Saturday. He called in the order the next Monday. The factory made the engine on Tuesday--they were making that model on their main production line at that particular week, so they just built one more. My engine got shipped on Wednesday. It arrived on Thursday or Friday. The engine was installed on the next Saturday.

The dealer liked this arrangement. Dealers accumulate sales volume points or credits based on total horsepower sold. Adding 225 points to the dealer's total horsepower would help him move into a better sales volume discount tier. I paid him for the engine before he even got the invoice for it, so he had no money or carrying charges involved. The price was quite good for me, and I am sure he made a profit, too. It was a win-win-win for Evinrude-the dealer-and me.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Mounting height of the engine depends on several factors:

Transom mounting holes.
Type of prop (aluminum or stainless steel)
typical state of water (ocean, lake, river)
typical loading.

Experience has shown that a majority of Boston Whaler owners select 2 or 3 holes up with an appropriate size stainless steel prop for E-TEC engines.

Given the short time the G2 series has been available for Boston Whaler owners for repowers, some experimentation with different props and mounting heights may be warranted.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 pm

UPDATED: The E-TEC G2 engines with the TRAC+ mounting won't likely have any additional set back from the transom; the E-TE G2 models with the integrated hydraulic steering (IHS) or dynamic power steering (DPS or iSteer) will have several inches of added setback from the transom, akin to using a small set back bracket. Typically the more set back the higher the engine can be mounted.

Phil's advice to try two-hole-up might be better starting place. But you really have to experiment and suit the mounting height to your boating. If you only boat an small lakes that are mostly calm, you can probably run the engine rather high. If you boat in big water with big waves, you might find that keeping the propeller from ventilating in rough seas is more useful than getting that last 1-MPH top speed by running with a high mounting.

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Struck a deal today for the ETEC G2 Re-Power. I was able to get a 10 year warranty. They are also installing a Garmin 1042xsv, CV51TM, 9"x9" trim tabs, extra fuel separator and a flush kit that can be used at our dock boat lift.

M

Boat Photos

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Take some pics when installation is complete. Would love to see that set up!

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:18 pm

I plan on documenting the re-power in this thread. Here is what we started with.

M

IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG (155.87 KiB) Viewed 32007 times

IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG (141.69 KiB) Viewed 32007 times

IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG (123.99 KiB) Viewed 32007 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Starting removing console and preparing for new layout.

M

IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG (154.54 KiB) Viewed 32007 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Boat was completely striped of Optimax. Engine sold for $3700 which helps a bunch on re-power cost. Technician relocated key to Optimax buzzer hole. Mounted trim tab LED control in lanyard hole. Fiberglass guy is up next to fix console and transom. Making room for fresh water tank where oil tank was. I won't be able go down anymore for a week or so... Looking to when I see it in a week or so.

M

IMG_0774.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg (153.12 KiB) Viewed 31936 times

IMG_0775.jpeg
IMG_0775.jpeg (145.58 KiB) Viewed 31936 times

IMG_0776 copy.jpeg
IMG_0776 copy.jpeg (124.22 KiB) Viewed 31936 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Got boat back today. What a difference a ETEC G2 makes. Quieter all around and shift is like silk. We have 15 mph winds today, 2-3ft whitecaps in bay but I went back in the bayous and she was cruising at 37 mph GPS and getting 5.8 mpg. The trim tabs that Boston Whaler recommends for this boat 9"x9" are really not big enough. Makes some difference but IMHO 12" would have been just right.

Funny thing already happened. A neighbor was cruising by and commented that the new Boston Whalers looking sweet. When I told him it was a 2004 with a new motor he just stared at me with a blank look and said OH...

Power seemed some better and top end was 46-47mph the first wide open test.

I will post some photos. Be glad to hear member thoughts on the re-power.

M

IMG_0849.jpeg
IMG_0849.jpeg (142.78 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg (153.93 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0847.jpeg
IMG_0847.jpeg (141.98 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm

More of console

M

IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0853.jpeg
IMG_0853.jpeg (166.97 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0851.jpeg
IMG_0851.jpeg (184.4 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm

a couple misc ones...

M

IMG_0843.jpeg
IMG_0843.jpeg (159.56 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0850.jpeg
IMG_0850.jpeg (180.3 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

IMG_0855.jpeg
IMG_0855.jpeg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 31740 times

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm

InVision -

She looks great.

The gauges and display are nicely done.

When you have time:

What is the mounting height? The set of 3 bolts is a bit deceiving. How many holes up is the second set?

What is the prop? RX4? In what size?

The WOT speed reads a little low. Once you get comfortable do some runs and report back.

Thanks for the photos and following through on the start to finish.

Enjoy!
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

The mechanic said [the engine would be mounted], "in the second hole." The three bolts are because the previous owner had a [TurboSwing, a brand of towing bar, mounted]. Mechanic said he would just keep the six bolts.

The prop is a VIPER 14 3/4 x 17-pitch

WOT is exactly 6,000-RPM. Before [the propeller] change [boat speed] was 44-MPH SOG by GNSS. Now [top boat speed is] 46-MPH SOG by GNSS. I have 30 days if I would like to exchange the propeller.

The next [ptich] step is 19-pitch, which would bring engine speed to 5,500-RPM-or-so, which the mechanic said was too low.

I must study propellers.

I am used to Yamaha [engines].

[The boat has] 60-gallons of fuel at the moment.

M

Boat Photos

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Very nice man, that engine color looks like it belonged on that Whaler all along. When you get a chance, can you take some pictures of the fresh water tank setup? How big of a tank were you able to fit?
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:14 am

I have only prepared for fresh water bladder. Installed water filler where oil tank fill was and ran wire from the accessory switch. Kind of an odd space so taking my time.

M

Boat Photos

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:40 am

InVision wrote:The mechanic said [the engine would be mounted], "in the second hole."

Clearly that mechanic has not read our policy on how engine mounting height is to be described. Based on the images provided, the engine has been mounted one-hole-up. :-)

I like the color choice you made for the E-TEC G2 cowling panels. The engine colors are very good with the boat colors, and the style of the G2 looks at home on that transom.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:19 pm

Great work by the fiberglass and motor mounting folks. Motor looks natural and not too heavy in the stern. White motors look great on Whalers

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... z4BpRdcBbZ

InVision

Postby InVision » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks all !! Nothing like having a classic Nantucket with a new generation motor and a TEN YEAR WARRANTY !!

M

Boat Photos

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am

I am looking for information on prop size and pitch for my ETEC G2. I currently have a Viper 14.75 x 17p and the top end seems slow at 45mph on GPS and I also see it in the red on gauge which is above 6000 rpms. Thinking of maybe a 18p or 19p prop. Maybe another model? Not sure...

Thank you

M

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:57 am

In doing some research offline, I share the following suggestions:

First choice - 14" x 19" Mercury Enertia / Quicksilver Q3
Second Choice is the BPR RX4. Start with 19". Leave vent holes closed.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

InVision

Postby InVision » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks Phil. So would not a 4 blade drop my WOT speed? A four blade in 19P is quite a difference. Experience says when going with 4 blade you should drop pitch one from a 3 blade pitch. RX4 write-ups say that it is made for ETEC G2. All in all props are a black science to me.

What is the WOT in MPH of a 150 HP on a Outrage 190?

M

outrage190.jpg
outrage190.jpg (184.16 KiB) Viewed 31654 times

Boat Photos

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am

M--as many members have learned, propeller testing takes a fair amount of effort, back and forth running, swapping out, and so on. Outcomes tend to be dependent on what propellers dealers have and their lending policies.

I was looking at that same performance report when I said I thought you should be able to hit 50-MPH at WOT.

The RX4 prop recommendation came from Lockman's, a BPR dealer and the one's that did Pat's (aka Homeside) re-power. They are highly respected.

I do agree with dropping pitch when going to to a four-blade propeller. If the dealer has the RX4 in stock, start with 17-pitch.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003